Goodbye Jesus

From Your Perspective, What Is A Fundamentalist?

walkthehawk

I've noticed that the term "fundy" has been used around here quite a bit, and it has been attached to me as well, which to be honest I find rather odd. Perhaps are views of what a fundamentalist is are different. I'd like to get your take, and perhaps take it a few different places from there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R. S. Martin

• walkthehawk

• Grandpa Harley

• florduh

To me its someone who holds to core xian doctrine and dogma, and interprets the bible literally (most of it anyway, aka the "convenient bits"). I could probably think of some other qualifiers for the title but thats basically the determinant for me.

I've noticed that the term "fundy" has been used around here quite a bit, and it has been attached to me as well, which to be honest I find rather odd. Perhaps are views of what a fundamentalist is are different. I'd like to get your take, and perhaps take it a few different places from there.

Literalists are a form of fundy, also those who wish to force via fear for others to follow their god ( brimstone and hell fire and so forth) I haven't read any of your posts, but the term is relative.

You don't have a Fundy label.. those are squids with the glow of red (Probably for fire :HaHa: ) around it.

• Super Moderator

A Fundamentalist is a Protestant adhering to a strict, literal interpretation of the Bible.

In practice I do use the term loosely at times, but in practice Fundies also can play a little loose with interpretation.

- Chris

Scriptural literalist, particularly one who thinks that "truth" is a zero-sum game and they happen to be on the winning side.

fun·da·men·tal·ism /ˌfʌndəˈmɛntlˌɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fuhn-duh-men-tl-iz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles

It's the third definition on dictionary.com, but it sums it up nicely for me. It's independent of any particular belief system. To me it's really anyone who absolutely refuses to see any other viewpoint than their own or the one they subscribe to.

To me it's really anyone who absolutely refuses to see any other viewpoint than their own or the one they subscribe to.

I mostly agree with this.

To me it's really anyone who absolutely refuses to see any other viewpoint than their own or the one they subscribe to.

I've been studying fundamentalism for several years now as an academic topic and your's is perhaps the clearest and most consice definition I have yet come across.

I'd hate to try and defend it to my academic committee but I'll keep it in the back of my mind as a personal point of reference.

Walkthehalk, you're too elusive. I don't know what you believe so I can't pin you for your theology. Some christians who come on here are like that. But when we start giving them some leeway they lunge for the jugular.

I'm trying to remember what kind of stuff you posted. You're some kind of evangelical, aren't you? How does evangelical differ from fundy? Jerry Falwell liked to quip "A fundamentalist is an evangelical who is angry about something" (George Marsden, Understanding Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism, 1991, p. 1).

And yeah, fundy's an easy term to swing around fast and loose--esp. when folks wander in here looking somewhat suspicious.

fun·da·men·tal·ism /ˌfʌndəˈmɛntlˌɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fuhn-duh-men-tl-iz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

It's the third definition on dictionary.com, but it sums it up nicely for me. It's independent of any particular belief system. To me it's really anyone who absolutely refuses to see any other viewpoint than their own or the one they subscribe to.

This may sound silly, but what do you mean by "see"? Do you mean to listen to another person's point of view? Do you mean see where they may have a point? Is a person allowed to utterly disagree with someone and still "see" their viewpoint?

Not trying to be aggressive, but I've heard it said that you are supposed to "respect" another person's viewpoint and I'm wondering if what you are saying is similar.

I've been studying fundamentalism for several years now as an academic topic and your's is perhaps the clearest and most consice definition I have yet come across.

I'd hate to try and defend it to my academic committee but I'll keep it in the back of my mind as a personal point of reference.

Walkthehalk, you're too elusive. I don't know what you believe so I can't pin you for your theology. Some christians who come on here are like that. But when we start giving them some leeway they lunge for the jugular.

I'm trying to remember what kind of stuff you posted. You're some kind of evangelical, aren't you? How does evangelical differ from fundy? Jerry Falwell liked to quip "A fundamentalist is an evangelical who is angry about something" (George Marsden, Understanding Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism, 1991, p. 1).

And yeah, fundy's an easy term to swing around fast and loose--esp. when folks wander in here looking somewhat suspicious.

Interesting that you said "elusvie". I just took a hermeneutics quiz, and scored a 53. Which put me in the moderate range, but if my total score was one point lower, I would be a conservative.

Here's the explanation of the moderate, fwiw:

The moderate hermeneutic might be seen as the voice of reason and open-mindedness. Moderates generally score between 53 to 65. Many are conservative on some issues and progressive on others. It intrigues that conservatives tend to be progressive on the same issues, while progressives tend to be conservative on the same issues. Nonetheless, moderates have a flexible hermeneutic that gives them the freedom to pick and choose on which issues they will be progressive or conservative. For that reason, moderates are more open to the charge of inconsistency. What impresses me most about moderates are the struggles they endure to render judgments on hermeneutical issues.

Walkthehalk, I'm looking at your avatar. Here's what you say under "any gods?": The Blessed Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

You don't stick with the basics--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; you put the icing on the cake with your "The Blessed Trinity." I'm asking myself what denomination would use that specific wording? Who would throw in the word "blessed"?

I know the Catholics and Muslims are heavy into blessing everything on the formal level, and some evangelicals may be into that, as well, on the social level. But for their avatar???

Interesting that you said "elusvie". I just took a hermeneutics quiz, and scored a 53. Which put me in the moderate range, but if my total score was one point lower, I would be a conservative.

The moderate hermeneutic might be seen as the voice of reason and open-mindedness. Moderates generally score between 53 to 65. Many are conservative on some issues and progressive on others. It intrigues that conservatives tend to be progressive on the same issues, while progressives tend to be conservative on the same issues. Nonetheless, moderates have a flexible hermeneutic that gives them the freedom to pick and choose on which issues they will be progressive or conservative. For that reason, moderates are more open to the charge of inconsistency. What impresses me most about moderates are the struggles they endure to render judgments on hermeneutical issues.

You're still not saying a thing about your beliefs.

Nor have you provided a link to the quote about the hermeneutics test; that violates copyright law--unless you wrote it yourself. I take it you didn't. That means either you're ignorant or immoral--you'll steal the intellectual property of others and pass it off as your own. Since actions speak louder than words, profession of faith is not all that important anymore, not after this infraction of the law.

Walkthehalk, I'm looking at your avatar. Here's what you say under "any gods?": The Blessed Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

You don't stick with the basics--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; you put the icing on the cake with your "The Blessed Trinity." I'm asking myself what denomination would use that specific wording? Who would throw in the word "blessed"?

I know the Catholics and Muslims are heavy into blessing everything on the formal level, and some evangelicals may be into that, as well, on the social level. But for their avatar???

Didn't know that was a big deal. There's a hymn that refers to the Trinity as "blessed". Can't remember what the name of it is, but it came to mind when I was answering that question. My intention was to be all-encompassing of who God is. If I got a little artsy with it, then there ya go. I can tell you that I wasn't thinking of any particular denomination when I was writing it.

What would be the point you are trying to make?

This is the best explanation of what fundamentalism is: http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f...amentalism.html

There is a difference between evangelicals and fundamentalists though. I'll try to offer some reference for that later.

Mostly though literalism is the main earmark of what we call fundi.

–noun

This may sound silly, but what do you mean by "see"? Do you mean to listen to another person's point of view? Do you mean see where they may have a point? Is a person allowed to utterly disagree with someone and still "see" their viewpoint?

Not trying to be aggressive, but I've heard it said that you are supposed to "respect" another person's viewpoint and I'm wondering if what you are saying is similar.

Fundimentalism is running wildly into an arguement with your blindfold on, hands over your ears shouting 'I'm not listening I'm not listening!!'

You're still not saying a thing about your beliefs.

Nor have you provided a link to the quote about the hermeneutics test; that violates copyright law--unless you wrote it yourself. I take it you didn't. That means either you're ignorant or immoral--you'll steal the intellectual property of others and pass it off as your own. Since actions speak louder than words, profession of faith is not all that important anymore, not after this infraction of the law.

Yikes! Ok, sorry, here's the link you were wanting. Color me ignorant on that one I guess, but I enjoy the jump from not knowing about copyright laws to I obviously can't be a true Christian. You really know me.

As for saying what my beliefs are, I didn't know that in a thread that I started talking about what "fundy" means to you that I had to give a full outline of what I believe. Nor did I know that you claiming that I am "elusive" (which I honestly took no offense toward) meant that I had to do the same. Right now, all I'm doing is getting your take on what a "fundy" is in your eyes.

Fundamentalist - 1) One who believes the Bible to be literally true in spite of massive amounts of evidence to the contrary and no credible evidence whatsoever in support of such a belief ; 2) One who subscribes to a belief system founded upon and supported by ignorance, stupidity, and sheer idiocy; 3) A brainwashed religious believer; 4) A Certifiable Imbecile

This is the best explanation of what fundamentalism is: http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f...amentalism.html

I looked at that article. I don't know how it got rated "the best."

EDIT

Scholars with PhDs who specialize in the study of fundamentalism cannot come up with definitions. That article...it passes as an overview of some items that contributed to what makes the fundamentalism we see today. But that's about it.

It's independent of any particular belief system. To me it's really anyone who absolutely refuses to see any other viewpoint than their own or the one they subscribe to.

Walkthehawk hey there. I'm in NC too.

I'd like to think about this for a while. This seems worth discussing to me.

Right now, all I'm doing is getting your take on what a "fundy" is in your eyes.

No you aren't getting it at all.

I gave you a quote from Marsden, a highly respected scholar in the field. Others have given you various definitions from dictionaries. AM linked you to an article. What is it you want?

–noun

Nope, I didn't mean respect. I can respect a person, but not respect their viewpoint. Like the discussion I'm having right now on Ray Comfort's bog: I say I was a Christian, give all the evidence and they don't even see it, they still say mine was a false conversion. Mind you, every Christian I've ever dealt with when I was a Christian would say otherwise. Certainly someone can utterly disagree and still see the perspective.

Right now, all I'm doing is getting your take on what a "fundy" is in your eyes.

No you aren't getting it at all.

I gave you a quote from Marsden, a highly respected scholar in the field. Others have given you various definitions from dictionaries. AM linked you to an article. What is it you want?

Well, if more people want to chime in that would be great. But you're right, I have been getting a lot of information to go on, I guess I just don't understand what you were gettting at in particular with your last couple of posts as it pertains to the topic of this thread, but whatever, no big deal.

Looked at your link, Walk. Looked at the hermeneutics quiz, too. It answers a lot of my questions. To score moderate on it you've got to be fundy as all get-out by our standards. How do I know? Because it allows for very little deviation from the literal interpretation of the Bible. And that makes for the dysfunctional behaviour you are demonstrating on here.

Not to mention that the quiz is given by Christianity Today, a mag that comes out of Princeton Seminary, the birthplace of fundamentalist theology. Whew! and you try to deceive us into thinking you're not fundy. Gimme a break!

You don't know the link between beliefs and fundyism? Can't you read? People were telling you that beliefs are a barometer on fundyism. So long as we don't know what you believe we can't judge very accurately. But never mind. I got the necessary background info on you via the quizz. Unless you correct me that is what I will go by. Your kind have committed far too much evil to get friendly responses from me. Sorry but it's not my fault that you've bought into the crap and spew it all over this place.

A fundy is someone who will lie about any event in order to promote lying works and wonders. A fundy is the most savage immoral person Christianity ever puked out. They don't make good Christians and they don't make good humans either. A fundy is the rotted offal of a religion pretending to be its perfume. Their only purpose in life is to sew discord between those who believe in Christianity and those who do not by laying blame for the evils of the world on the shoulders of nonbelievers.