Goodbye Jesus

From Your Perspective, What Is A Fundamentalist?

walkthehawk

From my perspective, I see fundamentalism as someone who takes everything very literally, which many of you have said. I think though with that also comes a very legalistic behavior. There is a strong correlation, from what I have experienced, between that heavy literal translation of Scripture while also holding to a lot of things like not drinking any alcohol, do not read any fantasy literature, no tattoos, etc. So when I was thrown into the "fundy" camp, that is what through me off, because there are many things that the Christian community would see about me that would have them call me anything but a fundamentalist.

For example, I do drink alcohol. Though I do believe it is a sin to get drunk, I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it says that drinking alcohol is bad. I love fantasy, and love playing Magic the Gathering. I don't mind people getting tattoos, though I myself don't have one. Though I believe God certainly could have created the world in seven days, I don't think that is necessarily what is being said in the creation story. I'm friends with a pagan and an atheist. Matter of fact I think they would both claim that I am one of their better friends. We have had plenty of debates about worldviews, and I don't hold back on what is true (and yes I believe it to be true, or else what the heck is the point of believing it), yet after all this time we are still friends. Am I conservative in a lot of my theology? Absolutely. Do I think everything has to be taken in a literal translation? No. For example, Jewish tradition would say that how they use numbers was more symbollic of something that literal like the Greek worldview.

I guess some of the explanations that I have received from people about what a fundamentalist is would end up pegging me as a "fundy". I do hold to what I believe very strongly. I'm not going to give in to someone's argument just because they don't see any "proof". If I disagree with you, I'll tell you, just as you would me. It would take quite a bit of convincing to have me change my mind, just as it would you. I will listen to any respectful given argument about an issue.

As to why I took so long for me to post, I generally don't get home til really late in the day, and I can't access this website from where I work.

In the so-called "ol' time religion" xian world that I once lived in, Walk, you would have been relegated to the realm of "watered-down", "counterfeit", "devil-oriented" christianity. Drinking alcohol? Nooooo! The Lard's anointed cannot partake of the devil's brew! Never!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R. S. Martin

• walkthehawk

• Grandpa Harley

• florduh

I will listen to any respectful given argument about an issue.

You pile in on an Ex-Christian site, blathering about Hell and sinners and expect 'RESPECT'???

WTF?

You show no respect, and expect it? FER-UK YOU with a gate post, dry!

In the so-called "ol' time religion" xian world that I once lived in, Walk, you would have been relegated to the realm of "watered-down", "counterfeit", "devil-oriented" christianity. Drinking alcohol? Nooooo! The Lard's anointed cannot partake of the devil's brew! Never!!!

Well, if we're going to take that route--the route of legalizm--anyone with a driver's license or telephone is on the fast road to hell, believe it or not. That's just the way the world works. God said, I believe, that settles it. There's people in the world today who think like that and they've got scripture to back it up.

Well, if we're going to take that route--the route of legalizm--anyone with a driver's license or telephone is on the fast road to hell, believe it or not. That's just the way the world works. God said, I believe, that settles it. There's people in the world today who think like that and they've got scripture to back it up.

Yep...and so they live in a world of fear of the wrath of a supernatural, but totally imaginary entity, rather than just living and finding all the good in their short lives that they can. We see them today...don't dance, don't listen to pop music, don't listen to any music other than gospel, don't read books other than jeezus books, don't watch any TV but TBN, etc etc. Very sad...

Naaa... can one be 'almost' alive... calling me a sinner means 'Fundy asshole who can die in pain'...

You know, I looked back on that thread to see exactly what I said. I do recall saying "we" and "us" when referring to who deserves Hell. Now, if I had said, you know, only Grandpa deserves Hell, everyone else is good, then I could see where you are coming from with all the name calling. However, I included myself in there. If that doesn't clear me of wrong doing in your eyes at least a little bit, then carry on. I've been able to ignore you pretty well up to this point.

I also saw in there amidst everything else you wrote that you wanted to know how I am a sinner. Well, I'll answer the question here, and if you would like to discuss it more, we possibly can in the Hell thread or another one all together.

The Bible teaches orginal sin. Therefore I was born with a sin nature. It's my nature to do so, and I have satisfied that nature many of time. I have lied, stolen, committed adultery, there were times I hadn't honored my mother and father, been very irresponsible with money, and you don't even want to know the thoughts that I entertain from time to time. All in all, before Christ I knew nothing but to live a life independent of God. I'm not saying that a complete 180 has occurred and now you can liken me to one of the angels in Revelation. All that stuff still happens from time to time. I'm a saint, but still very much a sinner as well.

However, ftr, I have never made lampshades out of an infant's skin.

I will listen to any respectful given argument about an issue.

Well, this is either a total lie, or you have never really looked for "respectful" arguements.

http://godisimaginary.com/

Read that, at least some of it. And I would like to hear your opinion.

There are so many, not only respectful arguements, but EXTREMELY logical arguments that xtianity is total bull.

Prove to us how "open minded" you are, I dare you to read that whole site, reseach the data till your heart's content, and come back here and tell us you see "no problem" with xtianity.

May take some time, but I will do my best.

From my perspective, I see fundamentalism as someone who takes everything very literally, which many of you have said. I think though with that also comes a very legalistic behavior. There is a strong correlation, from what I have experienced, between that heavy literal translation of Scripture while also holding to a lot of things like not drinking any alcohol, do not read any fantasy literature, no tattoos, etc. So when I was thrown into the "fundy" camp, that is what through me off, because there are many things that the Christian community would see about me that would have them call me anything but a fundamentalist.

For example, I do drink alcohol. Though I do believe it is a sin to get drunk, I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it says that drinking alcohol is bad. I love fantasy, and love playing Magic the Gathering. I don't mind people getting tattoos, though I myself don't have one. Though I believe God certainly could have created the world in seven days, I don't think that is necessarily what is being said in the creation story. I'm friends with a pagan and an atheist. Matter of fact I think they would both claim that I am one of their better friends. We have had plenty of debates about worldviews, and I don't hold back on what is true (and yes I believe it to be true, or else what the heck is the point of believing it), yet after all this time we are still friends. Am I conservative in a lot of my theology? Absolutely. Do I think everything has to be taken in a literal translation? No. For example, Jewish tradition would say that how they use numbers was more symbollic of something that literal like the Greek worldview.

I guess some of the explanations that I have received from people about what a fundamentalist is would end up pegging me as a "fundy". I do hold to what I believe very strongly. I'm not going to give in to someone's argument just because they don't see any "proof". If I disagree with you, I'll tell you, just as you would me. It would take quite a bit of convincing to have me change my mind, just as it would you. I will listen to any respectful given argument about an issue.

As to why I took so long for me to post, I generally don't get home til really late in the day, and I can't access this website from where I work.

Yes, I'm unfortunately all too familiar with that world myself. I also am marrying into it. My fiancee's family finds, somehow, a clear distinction between those who are Christian and those who drink. She of course believes that a bunch of BS, but she wants to be respectful so we are not having an open or cash bar at the reception. We won't even be able to have wine when we celebrate communion together at the wedding. :sigh: We haven't told them that both of us have had an occasional alcoholic beverage; have seen no need to. But yeah, it's rather unfortunate.

Yes, I'm unfortunately all too familiar with that world myself. I also am marrying into it. My fiancee's family finds, somehow, a clear distinction between those who are Christian and those who drink. She of course believes that a bunch of BS, but she wants to be respectful so we are not having an open or cash bar at the reception. We won't even be able to have wine when we celebrate communion together at the wedding. :sigh: We haven't told them that both of us have had an occasional alcoholic beverage; have seen no need to. But yeah, it's rather unfortunate.

That sucks. See. I have my own little acorn label for that situation. In my eyes, that makes one a conformist. If you have the occasional beverage, why not have an open bar? All church members? I was this way with my exwife for 6yrs. Her parents were extreme fundamentalist, as was she. My kid is 7, and up until last year, she never was told Santa was coming. Its sad. I feel as though a part of her childhood was taken. I tell her who Santa really was, historically, where it came from etc; yet I go along with it.

She tells me, Daddy, theres no Santa. I tell her, We'll see about that. Anyway. I dont think going along with Santa Claus is Satanic, though my former in laws did. I also had the occasional beer, and smoked. Again, I was Satan. They also didnt eat pork, as to the guy that was big for a while talking about the diet of the OT. My wife, being a good little girl, followed along like a little duck. I am the extreme opposite, and once I dove into religion, I was shunned. Especially when the scripture and history of why Paul wrote this, or what Christ said about that toward their fundamental way. I lost my family because of fundamental doctrine. And a fundamentalist can be just as stubborn as any other, especially if they were raised that way. And as Samuel said, stubbornness is as idolatry and iniquity.

This logic if taken light can cause some serious disorders, and even reformation into disbelief. My exwife Dad pasted away at 55 last year, his heart exploded. As a fundamental family, her and her mother barely believe in Christ anymore. I have been through hell, literally, in that time. I thought it was sad. I drove to the funeral in my cab, my job, and one member of my old church said I can still be saved, and that he prays for me. He asked me how everything was going.

I told him good, except Satan is trying to destroy me. He just looked at me in confusion.

You know, I looked back on that thread to see exactly what I said. I do recall saying "we" and "us" when referring to who deserves Hell. Now, if I had said, you know, only Grandpa deserves Hell, everyone else is good, then I could see where you are coming from with all the name calling. However, I included myself in there. If that doesn't clear me of wrong doing in your eyes at least a little bit, then carry on. I've been able to ignore you pretty well up to this point.

Well WTH... (Same acronym as What the hell ironically ) anyways, Just because you include your low self esteem self in the equation doesn't make it any more tolerable. Perhaps you see yourself as a worthless chump, doesn't mean we all see ourselves or others that way. Do you believe you (we all) deserve to burn in a lake of fire for all eternity because you believe god made you (all of us) to be human... capable of thinking, questioning, failing, and all the other wonderful things that go along with making us human?

I'm sorry you have such low self esteem, and a low outlook on people in general. I'm sorry you hate yourself and all of mankind and believe your (our) only redeeming quality is to gravel on your (our) knees, hating yourself (ourselves) and begging for something you can't see to grant you (us) permission to be worthy to breath. I really find this mentality pitiful and sad. I'll never hate myself enough to follow your vile god, I'll never hate mankind enough to follow him either.

The Bible teaches orginal sin. Therefore I was born with a sin nature. It's my nature to do so, and I have satisfied that nature many of time.

Funny how that works, Punish endless generations for eating an apple when the supposed people had no concept of right or wrong to begin with. This is a stupid story. These people didn't commit egregious atrocity's, no murder no blaspheming n' the like .. they supposedly ate a freaking apple. For this you hate yourself? For this small non-crime your god curses all mankind? What's worse you still follow him regardless,even tho Justice obviously isn't in his play book? :loser::lmao:

I have lied, stolen, committed adultery, there were times I hadn't honored my mother and father, been very irresponsible with money, and you don't even want to know the thoughts that I entertain from time to time. All in all, before Christ I knew nothing but to live a life independent of God. I'm not saying that a complete 180 has occurred and now you can liken me to one of the angels in Revelation. All that stuff still happens from time to time. I'm a saint, but still very much a sinner as well.

What have you done to make these wrongs right?

Have you come clean and given back and paid back 10 fold that of which you stole?

Have you corrected the lie to the people you lied to?

Did you set the adultery right with the family(S) you helped hurt?

Mothers and fathers are humans as well... There are times they perhaps don't deserve to be honored.

Have you become more responsible with money?

Are thoughts now crimes and sins? If so wouldn't that make Christ a sinner beings tho he was once 'tempted'. He would have had to entertain seedy thoughts in order for himself to be tempted. Yet another example of how much you hate yourself and set the deck against yourself.

One doesn't need to follow a god to do the right thing, all these things can be forgiven or made right by the people of which you wronged. How can god forgive you of a sin you didn't commit against him but someone else? Seems like pretty shitty justice to me. A prayer and the slates wiped clean without work to fix the wrongs is just plain wrong on every level.. the victims get no justice in your gods world. Food for thought. :poke:

Welcome to Ex-C :wave:

Irresponsible with money is a 'sin'? Love of money is the root of all evil, but howand where is itwritten that being daft is a sin?

And isn't the honour yourfather andmother thing offset by the imprecation to hate your mother and father?

Seems God boy is just a cretin....

Irresponsible with money is a 'sin'? Love of money is the root of all evil, but howand where is itwritten that being daft is a sin?

No, being irresponsible with money is NOT a sin, HAVING ANY money is a sin...

Jesus made a number of very clear statements about money and wealth in the Bible. For example:

Matthew 6:19

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Luke 14:33

Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

Matthew 6:24

No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and Money.

Matthew 19:21-24

Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Matthew 19:28-29

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Luke 9:23-25

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?

Matt 13: 22

The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.

Hebrews 13:5

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

Phil 2:3

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Acts 2:44-45

All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.

The meaning in these passages are clear. If you want to follow jeebus, you, oh true believer, YOU need to "sell ALL your possessions and give them to the poor." It is a very simple and clear buybull message, and VERY easy to do.

Have you done it? Why not? Don't you believe in the buybull? Hey, lots of the above is new test. What's the problem? Why do you have a computer and an internet connection? hmmm?

I assume you own a computer, pay for an Internet connection every month, live in a home or apartment, have a car, etc. In other words, you live a life at a level of sheer, utter, COLLOSAL wealth unimaginable in Jesus' time. Meanwhile, billions of people on the planet live in startling, abject poverty. Why don't you sell everything you own, put on some rags from a damned dumpster, and go and merrily follow Jesus, as he requests REPEATEDLY in the Bible?

The reason is simple: The whole bible and the religion is total, unrestrained, heaping pile of stinking dog-shit AND YOU KNOW IT deep down inside...

Booyah baby!

No, being irresponsible with money is NOT a sin, HAVING ANY money is a sin...

Swim. You ever been homeless?

Which has what to do wihnthe Gospel passaged SWIM posted?

how and where is it written that being daft is a sin?

Ask and you shall receive! :wicked: It's in the Parable of the Talents:

"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. So also, the one with the two talents gained two more.
But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

After a long time, the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. “Master,” he said, “you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.”

His master replied, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!”

The man with the two talents also came. “Master,” he said, “you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.”

His master replied, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!”

Then the man who had received the one talent came. “Master,” he said, “I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed.
So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground.
See, here is what belongs to you.”

His master replied,
“You wicked, lazy servant!
So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?
Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

“Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.
And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
”

Mt. 25:14-30

So... what you have with Creationists, is people who will be cast directly into Hell for taking their brains and burring them into soil of their hindquarters, instead of investing it for something useful!

I'll save God boy a seat in hell... he's earned it...

Amen and Amen.

To AM and to Gramps.

Finally some basic New Testament messages are addressed.

Basic is just another word for "fundamental." Fundamentalist is built on fundamental. I have talked with fundamentalists who pride themselves on living according to the fundamental commandments of the faith. It seems acorn and WTH pride themselves on not living the basics of their faith.

Oh I know you can't win with us, you just can't. That's the long and short of it. Why? Because you pretend to be something you're not. Fakers don't go anywhere here on these forums. We've seen it all. Been there done that. Lived through it, came out and live to tell the story--that's the biggest marvel.

Which has what to do wihnthe Gospel passaged SWIM posted?

Beat me to it old timer, I was gonna ask the same exact thing...

Guest DashBlades

Amazing, I thought the term "fundy" was only used in my family haha. Well, the core of fundy is fear. Without fear, fundy has nothing. Like a bird with no atmosphear. So at the very core fundy means you believe in hell. Which means you believe in sin.

So once that's been said, you can safely say that fundy is anything to do with religious rules. Not to say they're wrong. But they give a false threat. What happens if you lie? Well, then you have to deal with the lie. You don't get "sin points", you don't go to hell, you just deal with the mess.

Fundy=sin and hell. True spirituality=God, love, and reincarnation.

I've noticed that the term "fundy" has been used around here quite a bit, and it has been attached to me as well, which to be honest I find rather odd. Perhaps are views of what a fundamentalist is are different. I'd like to get your take, and perhaps take it a few different places from there.

Walkthehawk,

Fundamentalism is someone that insists that their belief, doctrine is the only possibility. A fundamentalist usually is one sided and not apt to explore anything outside the bible.