Goodbye Jesus

Which Is It? Should I Know Or Shouldn't I?

R. S. Martin

The fundies sneer at us for accepting scientific discovery as "truth." They think that's just plain arrogant and stupid and that scientists think they know everything when they just plain don't. They accuse science for being nothing but a theory and for always changing its mind and they tell us the Bible knows for sure how the universe was made.

So which is it?

Is it okay to know a lot of stuff or is it not?

Why is it bad for scientists to know a lot about evolution when religion also claims to know a lot of stuff?

When I want to know exactly how the plan of salvation works, I'm told we don't have to know everything.

But when I say I don't know how the universe came into being I'm condemned for not knowing enough.

So which is it?

Should I know everything or should I know nothing? Or is it okay to just know the things my brain is capable of knowing?

And how come the fundies get to judge what the things are that I "should" know? They aren't god that I have yet noticed so they didn't create me. If they are and if they did, they can go to hell they created for the devil and his angels and stay there. They totally messed up in making me in their image and I can't say I regret it.

I found something that says it much more consicely than I managed to do. This comes from Kuroikaze, originally posted here:

Its true that I don't know where the universe came from, but neither to you "know" where it came from, it is folly to assume that because we don't know the answer, god must have done it.

C'mon now, Ruby, are you trying to wax rhetorical here? You know darn well that there are questions that deal with science, reality and the world, and in a totally different realm there are questions that deal with religious and spiritual stuff. Let's keep them in their seperate compartments where they belong...Yes?

When I want to know exactly how the plan of salvation works, I'm told we don't have to know everything.

But when I say I don't know how the universe came into being I'm condemned for not knowing enough.

So which is it?

It's very simple. If you know you are saved, that is all you need to know. Otherwise, everything you don't know will be held against you in a court of gawd.

Piprus and Ro-Bear, you are so funny. For a moment there I thought you'd gone over to the fundy side against me but I looked again at who's talking and suddenly I "got" it. :lmao:

Is it okay to know a lot of stuff or is it not?

I think it's a bit like Ro-Bear said. What fundies think you really need to know is very limited. To a hardcore fundie, the only knowledge that really matters - the only true authority - is the Bible. After all, it's the only thing that has the Lard's Official Seal of Approval™.

So to a fundie, it's okay to know the Bible inside and out, but it isn't really okay to know anything else. For some fundies, it isn't even okay to know anything beyond a certain approach to the Bible either - innerantists reject higher textual criticism, for instance, and of course we all know about KJV-only nutjobs.

So I think it's about selective knowing. And to answer your question, no, it really isn't okay to know a lot about anything, to a fundie.