Goodbye Jesus

Phone Call From Church Lady

ogilvy

i got a phone call today from a lady from my church, which i havent been to since september last year. she was wondering if anybody had offended me, so i explained about my issue with God's cruelty in sending billions of people to eternal torment in hell. i'm always hoping that someone will be able to explain to me how God is actually not cruel at all, so i can believe in him again, but so far it hasnt happened. they all agree that hell is horrible, especially to think of our friends and loved ones going there, but no Christians will go to the next step and admit that God is cruel for having such a system of punishment. in fact, they wont agree that God's plan for the world was cruel plan. they keep saying, its because of free will. God could have programmed us for everyone to love him, then nobody would have to go to hell, but then we'd be mindless zombies. i say, that'd be better than going to hell, and if that was the only way he could do it, it would have been better not to create us at all. then they say, think of the other side of the coin, think of how God shows mercy and kindness to us, for instance, the thief on the cross. but that doesnt cancel out the cruel things God does, does it?? if someone does kind things and cruel things, we cant say they are 100% kind. i'm sick of those responses. it makes my blood boil. but i should leave them alone... why upset them when i've got nothing better to offer them than logic? however, i didnt start it, if someone asks me, even thought they dont ask me straight out, why i've stopped going to church, i'll explain my reasons. otherwise, live and let live. it was nice while it lasted, to feel secure that God was looking after me and my family.

You can have a god without hell if you wish. You don't have to believe the Bible or other believers.

Guest eejay

I couldn't help chuckling when I read your post. I admire the fact that you didn't make up excuses and came right out with how you really felt. Feels better doesn't it? Even though you know they won't ever agree with you, it just feels good to tell em like it is. I find myself doing that a lot more often, and I've even been able to do it without getting angry, like actually laughing at how silly they sound trying to defend the fairy tale. It's like....do you know how silly you sound?

I would've just said "Now is not a good time to call," and hung up. But maybe that's just me.

Would have been a great time for the arnold swartz. sound board.

"Stop whining"

"I'm a cop, you idiot!"

"Put ya mutha on please..."

"I hope you left enough room for my fist cause I'm gonna ram it into your stomach!"

"Hey, I'm a police officer..."

LOL

it was nice while it lasted, to feel secure that God was looking after me and my family.

It's always hard to deal with those still stuck in the Christian mindset. However, it is amazingly liberating at the same time to be able to express how you really feel to them. It sounds like you did so in a respectful manner and that is a wonderful thing.

i got a phone call today from a lady from my church, which i havent been to since september last year. she was wondering if anybody had offended me

You just now found time to call me? Wow, you all really miss me! Now, you and your god go fuck each other!

they all agree that hell is horrible, especially to think of our friends and loved ones going there, but no Christians will go to the next step and admit that God is cruel for having such a system of punishment.

For all the cruelty of the hell doctrine, christians in general have no problem with it. In fact, most desire it and are glad all the evil people are going there!

God could have programmed us for everyone to love him, then nobody would have to go to hell, but then we'd be mindless zombies.

Aren't christians in most instances mindless zombies for their faith?

think of how God shows mercy and kindness to us, for instance, the thief on the cross. but that doesnt cancel out the cruel things God does, does it?? if someone does kind things and cruel things, we cant say they are 100% kind.

Even mobsters do a lot of good for their particular local communities. Just look at Al Capone, Whitey Bulger, et al; they were kind to a lot of their own local people, yet they were murderous bastards when you crossed them. Seems god is the same way according to the buybull! :scratch:

Some xtians describe gawd as some kind of demented dungeon master. He puts you in this game (life) and if you make just the right moves at just the right time, you may survive.

The instruction manual (the wholly babble) is fubar, and the people on the sidelines are yelling conflicting instructions: pray, no, give a burnt offering, no, sacrifice your children, no, wear purple robes and Nikes.

Some of us finally say fuck it, I quit. No Mas.

Sounds like you got the usual canned (and silly) responses to the hard questions. You did very well to maintain your composure...

Some xtians describe gawd as some kind of demented dungeon master. He puts you in this game (life) and if you make just the right moves at just the right time, you may survive.

I love Ashleigh Brillians (www.ashleighbrilliant.com)

1409small.gif

This is one of my favorite quotes from him.