Goodbye Jesus

What Comforts You In Times Of Trouble?

Michael

Music really helps me I guess. As does talking to friends (both online and in real life).

...I allowed myself the habit of prayer, while recognizing what it was. It was a cry to all that is for things to be okay.

Well put. A cry to all that is. I like that.

It depends on what I need comfort for. If I'm scared out of my wits, like a severe thunderstorm with lightning coming down on my house (or close enough to it) then I go into prayer mode and ask myself why I left Xtianity and think god is mad at me. Then I snap out of it and tell myself it's just atmosphere patterns disrupted by global warming, and proceed to beusy myself with either TV or the computer.... until power goes out.

If I'm nervous, I just talk about anything and don't shut up. This happens when I'm terrified too sometimes. Talking about anything/nothing comforts me... it distracts me from whatever's going on.

If I'm in a crappy mood, I just listen to Nightwish.

If I'm in a crappy mood, I just listen to Nightwish.

Ditto.

On the other hand, I find comfort in remembering that the Universe is so big, the Earth is so small, and my tiny misfortune won't disrupt any of it. If I'm having trouble grasping that magnitude for whatever reason, I listen to Carl Sagan. It's rather humbling, in a good way. Instead of thinking that some omnipotent being cares so much about one mostly inconsequential human life, you find solace in the fact that life goes on no matter how crappy it can be on some days.

So far a few times, not times of crisis mind you, but just a few generic times, my mind has gone to address God, and it's honestly like the times when someone I know has died and I've forgotten for a moment that they are dead and I think about emailing them or calling them to tell them about something I thought they would be interested in. The one difference is that they actually existed at one time as I remember them. God does not, at least not as I once thought I knew him, her, or it.

I think people forget about the need to become silent and seperate themselves from their problems. Call it meditation or personal time or whatever you wish, it's important to step back and quite your mind and just let yourself look at the bigger picture. When I get depressed or down on myself, I always try to do this. I'm very big on music, so I'll have some appropriate instrumental music playing in the background and just relax myself and then ask myself questions like:

Can I get through this? How can I get through this?

What's really important?

Is this really as bad as it seems?

What's the best way for me to move ahead?

What are my goals?

Am I happy with the path that I'm on?

and so on...

That's why Christians do good when they pray. Prayer can be a form of self-analyzation (though it can also be a crutch). They often use it as a means to refocus themselves. So it's important if you don't pray, to find a form of self-analyzation that works for you.