Goodbye Jesus

I Saw George Carlin On Saturday

Robbobrob

I went to see George Carlin over the weekend. He is in his seventies now, and just as down on the "science fiction" of the bible as ever. I wonder how many people left the theatre feeling offended (and wishing Carlin had just ranted on dirty words for the whole time).

People seem to think they have a right to be safe from controversal ideas (ie anything they do not already believe in).

Carlin had a great riff about there are no rights in the world, no God given right anywhere, since every nation has different sets of rights for their own citizens.....and even in America, rights are not rights, because they can be taken away (just ask the Japanese Americans in the 1940's who lost every "God Given Right" and placed in internment camps. Can't be God Given rights if MEN can take them away.

the best thing I got out of his routine was the idea that being proud to be an American was stupid. Proud to have accidentally be born in one country over some other? Just as idiotic as being proud to be right handed, or blue eyed, or 5'11".

Happy to be an American. That makes sense. Proud to be....nah. It just don't fit.

Overall, I found his no bullshit approach to religion and politics refreshing in this age of political correctness. Too many people do not use logic to cut through the bullsit of other people's delusions.

Carlin has been a hero of mine since I was able to babble "bullshit." He and Sam Kinison have echoed my take on religion for years. Glad you enjoyed.

While I'm on the topic: is it just me or has modern entertainment pretty much lost it. We still revere the old day rock stars, the Stones, Eric Clapton, Zepplin, etc. We love the aging actors, Stallone, Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Willis, et.al. Even heros are harder to come by: no more Eisenhower. JFK. Are heros becoming harder to come by? Is talent and verve waning today? IMHO, music for the most part sucks, (Rap is not music, I'll argue the point with anyone), film is crap, talent seems to be judged by monetary intake, and idols are hard to come by (Kid Rock and Brittney?)

Damn, I feel old. *in my best old geezer voice* "what's the world comin' to?"

Yeah, same here.

Carlin has been a hero of mine since I was a teenager. You'd figure by listening to his stuff routinely, I never would have sold my soul to the delusion to begin with. Alas, I was dumb and young. And I still am to this day.

Yea, saw that one.

It's sad he's getting old, he only wanted to crack age jokes but when anyone looks at his life they'll see a man who's tried to help millions.

I went to see George Carlin over the weekend. He is in his seventies now, and just as down on the "science fiction" of the bible as ever. I wonder how many people left the theatre feeling offended (and wishing Carlin had just ranted on dirty words for the whole time).

People seem to think they have a right to be safe from controversal ideas (ie anything they do not already believe in).

Carlin had a great riff about there are no rights in the world, no God given right anywhere, since every nation has different sets of rights for their own citizens.....and even in America, rights are not rights, because they can be taken away (just ask the Japanese Americans in the 1940's who lost every "God Given Right" and placed in internment camps. Can't be God Given rights if MEN can take them away.

the best thing I got out of his routine was the idea that being proud to be an American was stupid. Proud to have accidentally be born in one country over some other? Just as idiotic as being proud to be right handed, or blue eyed, or 5'11".

Happy to be an American. That makes sense. Proud to be....nah. It just don't fit.

Overall, I found his no bullshit approach to religion and politics refreshing in this age of political correctness. Too many people do not use logic to cut through the bullsit of other people's delusions.

He did do a lot of old jokes, but crap, he's over 70, can't expect him to still be doing Catholic School, and "in my neighborhood" jokes.....But I think some there, in their fancy fur coats and nice suits and dresses, thought they were in for something far different than what he gave them.

I wonder if he looks at his crowds and thinks to himself, "What the fuck are you people doing here at my show...."