Goodbye Jesus

Mercy Ministries

MultifariousBirdLady

This pissed me off so much I am speechless. It is triggering all kinds of issues for me.

They sought help, but got exorcism and the Bible

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/03/....html?from=top5

I don't know who else has seen this news article or similar programs. They do have these here in the US as well.

I don't know who else has seen this news article or similar programs. They do have these here in the US as well.

Mercy seem to be developing a bit of a reputation here, to say the least.

And just as a frame of reference, Hillsong is Australia's biggest church, and Gloria Jeans is roughly the Australian equivalent of Starbucks.

This is horrendous.

Mercy seem to be developing a bit of a reputation here, to say the least.

And just as a frame of reference, Hillsong is Australia's biggest church, and Gloria Jeans is roughly the Australian equivalent of Starbucks.

That's horrifying.

Here in the U.S. there was a big anti-cult movement in the '70s, and an educational program even came to my grade school around '79 or '80 educating us about manipulative "cults" and mind control. This group fits that criteria "to a T". Is there any anti-cult education program in Australia that could disseminate information about manipulative groups such as this so that other people in need don't get hooked?

IMO, spreading this information about what manipulative/authoritarian groups are and do is one of the best ways to inform people so that they don't get sucked into this or similar schemes.

Christianity believes mental illness and crimes such as stealing, are the product of behaviors learned while a person was growing up. Everything goes back to 'sin'. Too much sin equals mental illness. The only way to get rid of mental illness is to work on the 'sin' in a person's life. Christian counseling should be eyed with a lot of criticism. Many times it reinforces a person's sense of guilt rather than helping someone through a crisis. The church should be forbidden to practice mental health care on the same grounds as practicing medicine without a license.

To finish up, I wanted to note that my best friend went to one of the pastors of our charismatic church for counseling about her depression. She ended up committing suicide, and left a note saying she wanted to go be with Jesus just hours after one of her sessions. Lots of help they were.

I am really sad to hear that this happened. The mental and emotional twisting these groups engage in just infuriates me. I guess I get particularly upset about it because the guilt-exploitation and worrying about demons thing was something I found to be especially insidious.

I am SO glad all that is behind me, but it still really upsets me to hear of other people trapped in it.

I sure hope these guys get brought up on charges.