Goodbye Jesus

Horror Books And Films

PandaPirate

When I was a Christian I used to abhor horror movies because I thought they were of the devil. I still hate them, but for entirely different reasons.

For me personally, I dislike horror because I don't understand why anyone would want to watch another human being get hacked into pieces. On the other hand, I do enjoy psychological horror movies and books such as Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal. Hannibal Lecter is an intriguing character. I also saw No Country for Old Men this weekend, which is not a horror movie per se, but does have a psychological element that is scary. I also liked the Shining.

What do you guys think about the horror genre?

From childhood I have liked reading and watching horror. My favorite subcategories are supernatural horror, cosmic horror and science fiction type horror. I also like the psychological horror.

I am not fond of slasher/torture movies like Friday the 13th and the recent Saw series. Although I thought Hostel was one of the better made movies in this sub-genre, I wouldn't see it again. In recent years the Japanese have probably made the best supernatural horror films dealing with ghosts and demons.

As an adult the scariest things I have seen were John Carpenter's version of "The Thing" with "Alien" a close second. There are many more disturbing movies - but these were really scary.

I'm a big fan right now of Universal's classic horror flicks from the 1930's. They have a lot of flaws, but you can see the birth of a genre when you watch them. Plus there's some phenomenal performances, as a good many of the earliest film actors were making the transition from stage to screen along with the rest of the industry - it's a different kind of acting, much more overdramatic and physical than today's fare.

I particularly like James Whale's Bride of Frankenstein (which has an awesome score by Franz Waxman) and the first third or so of Browning's Dracula (complete with homoerotic subtext between Renfield and the Count). There are other little gems from that time period as well, but you have to dig around for them.

That's just me though.

Facing death has always fascinated people, and with today's movies, you can face down death and be completely safe.

i have always enjoyed stephen king and h.p lovecraft, especially the latters ability to leave a deep horror in your soul long after you have finished reading. i have never seen many horror films i like though, most are too cliche to be enjoyable.

I'm a big fan of the horror genre.

Movies.

Books.

Video games.

I like jumping out of my skin.

If a book I'm reading makes me want to check all the doors and windows, and turn on every light in the house....it's good scary reading.

I even love bad horror. You know....cheesy and cheap horror movies where the makeup is garish and the blood is orange. Those are fun simply because they break the laws of physics so often, it just has to be on purpose! Those are hilarious.

And for a deep, serious freakout....Japanese horror. Forget the American remakes....The Ring...The Grudge... Ppptth!! Get the original Japanese versions Ringu, and Ju-On.

And if you are in the mood for freaky and deranged....Cronenberg is your man! "Shivers", "The Brood", "Rabid", "Videodrome", and for a seriously twisted time..."Naked Lunch".

The Shining

The Thing

Black and white monster flicks

Freddie Krueger

Alien movies and Predator and Terminator

Many, many more.

I love horror flicks that are more creepy than they are a blood fest. I don't like movies about mutilation as a theme, such as Saw, and to sit and watch them takes me several times because I will get up and leave the room when parts start getting sawed off. I see enough of that on the news and internet, which is why I prefer movies that do not imitate life so exactly.

What do you guys think about the horror genre?

The aesthetic of the horror genre is actually very unique and one I enjoy very much.

It's kind of like being an ex-Christian. You go into the horror movie with the skeptics hat on ready to tear it to shreds. And that's what often happens as many horror films disobey logic and/or reason. And that's part of the fun of watching horror films. You get to flex your intellectual muscles by analyzing the story & characters in depth. What's really intriguing is the survivalist aspect. Seeing how a given person reacts to a pressure situation and either folds or overcomes the obstacles placed in front of them. Plus you get to be pleasantly surprised when a story actually proves to be engaging and solid (like Saw or Hostel).

I'm not a big fan of watching people get chopped up, but in the same breath, it is fun to watch the crazy ways people invent to kill people. Just knowing that it's fake is part of what makes it such outrageous fun.

Those are the main reasons I enjoy horror films.

And if you are in the mood for freaky and deranged....Cronenberg is your man! "Shivers", "The Brood", "Rabid", "Videodrome", and for a seriously twisted time..."Naked Lunch".

Fucking Cronenberg. Back before he started doing regular films that guy was the king of fucked up movies.

Even if you didn't like it, you have to admit, that guy can seriously fuck with your mind.

I emphasize fuck because there's not really a better word for the way he discombobulates your brain.

Goddamn twisted ass Naked Lunch! Freaky. FREE-AHH-KAAY!!!