Goodbye Jesus

Debating With A Christian

Guest thespankguy

Guest thespankguy

I think I'm pretty good at debating and could easily defend this one on my own, but my friend is obviously copying and pasting from somewhere when he asks all these scientific questions. He's pulling the God of the gaps argument and ends with Pascal's lovely wager. I don't think responding with all the scientific evidence for all the things he mentions would be useful, but maybe? I have an idea of how I'm going to respond, just thought I'd paste the last thing he said and see what other responses you guys had.

Christian:

Alrighty... Like you said theories are just possible conclusions. It is not concrete. There is no concrete evidence that there is no god (or in other words, god just means supreme being) that created the universe. There's a conspiracy theory that NFL is a goverment made organization

to keep the american people occupied and to not really know what's going on in the goverment. Is it true? Who knows? It could be. Unless there is solid concrete evidence to back this up, it will remain just a possible conclusion. Some of our most smartest and noble people such as Albert Enstein believed in a god. Though notice I didn't say he was a Christian.

As for all those people that claim to be Christ, did any of them truly die for the people? This is why I serve Jesus. Yeah they seem to have the same creditials, but did they ever die for the people? Yes they were crucified, but what for? Though there may be very little of historical fact about Jesus, I choose to worship him. Faith is all about believing what you can't see. If God's not real then what's after we die? Do we just cease to be? Sorry, but something about that seems obscure.

If this is the case then:

1. Where did the space for the universe come from?

2. Where did matter come from?

3. Where did the laws of the universe come from (gravity, inertia, etc.)?

4. How did matter get so perfectly organized?

5. Where did the energy come from to do all the organizing?

6. When, where, why, and how did life come from dead matter?

7. When, where, why, and how did life learn to reproduce itself?

8. With what did the first cell capable of sexual reproduction reproduce?

9. Why would any plant or animal want to reproduce more of its kind since this would only make more mouths to feed and decrease the chances of survival? (Does the individual have a drive to survive, or the species? How do you explain this?)

10. How can mutations (recombining of the genetic code) create any new, improved varieties? (Recombining English letters will never produce Chinese books.)

11. Is it possible that similarities in design between different animals prove a common Creator instead of a common ancestor?

12. Natural selection only works with the genetic information available and tends only to keep a species stable. How would you explain the increasing complexity in the genetic code that must have occurred if evolution were true?

13. When, where, why, and how did:

a) Single-celled plants become multicelled? (Where are the two- and threecelled intermediates?)

B) Single-celled animals evolve?

c) Fish change to amphibians?

d) Amphibians change to reptiles?

e) Reptiles change to birds? (The lungs, bones, eyes, reproductive organs, heart, method of locomotion, body covering, etc., are all very different!) How did the intermediate forms live?

14. When, where, why, how, and from what did:

a) Whales evolve?

B) Sea horses evolve?

c) Bats evolve?

d) Eyes evolve?

e) Ears evolve?

f) Hair, skin, feathers, scales, nails, claws, etc., evolve?

15. Which evolved first (how, and how long, did it work without the others)? a) The digestive system, the food to be digested, the appetite, the ability to find and eat the food, the digestive juices, or the body’s resistance to its own digestive juice (stomach, intestines, etc.)? B) The drive to reproduce or the ability to reproduce? c) The lungs, the mucus lining to protect them, the throat, or the perfect mixture of gases to be breathed into the lungs? d) DNA or RNA to carry the DNA message to cell parts? e) The termite or the flagella in its intestines that actually digest the cellulose? f) The plants or the insects that live on and pollinate the plants? g) The bones, ligaments, tendons, blood supply, or muscles to move the bones? h) The nervous system, repair system, or hormone system? i) The immune system or the need for it?

No offense dude, but if you're so sure there isn't a God, why not find out for yourself and really seek out after him? I'm not talking about church, but pray that God will show Himself to you. What happens at the end of our lives if I am right? If I'm not, I guess then i have nothing to lose.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abiyoyo

• Ouroboros

• Grandpa Harley

• Legion

The problem is if someone could answer all the questions, it really doesn't matter to a faith based person, since anything can me made up to fit supernaturalism.

But the questions are circular, since if God made matter, space, gravity etc... where did God come from?

If I could answer "gravity comes from gravitons", his counter question would be "where did gravitons come from?" And if I answer "from the big bang", he will continue "where did big bang come from?" It's like the child's play of "why?" and for every answer you give they ask "why?" again.

But since the game is that any answer must follow with a question, as he does, (recursive questioning) then it's only correct to continue and not stop asking the questions even when you come to the question "Where does God come from?" And if he responds "that's a stupid answer" or "you can't ask that" or "he existed always", then you can say, "the same goes for big bang or any other answer I have given you." He won't accept that, but it's the truth, he demands you to answers infinite questions until you get tired and approve of his default answer, but won't extend the same courtesy to you to ask infinite questions.

So the alternative answer for you for all those questions might be: the flying spaghetti monster. And it's the definitive answer.

Guest thespankguy

He's not even making it fun. lol

I don't know how people think like he does. I take that back, I once was an evangelical christian. I find it funny how a debate on the existence of god turns into a huge question-answer session on evolution.

First off, just throw away all those chump questions in the middle. That's just him trying to intimidate you by bogging you down with bulk. All of that is stuff that has evidence. It's just that the layman doesn't know what that information is. You have to go to a biologist or anthropologist to get those answers.

He is very good at throwing a lot of general otherworldly questions at you. That's a typical tactic where you deflect answering and make the burden fall on the other person. Don't fall for it, make him answer questions. He has the burden of proof here. If he believes, he has to show why.

Christian:

Alrighty... Like you said theories are just possible conclusions. It is not concrete. There is no concrete evidence that there is no god (or in other words, god just means supreme being) that created the universe. There's a conspiracy theory that NFL is a goverment made organization

to keep the american people occupied and to not really know what's going on in the goverment. Is it true? Who knows? It could be. Unless there is solid concrete evidence to back this up, it will remain just a possible conclusion. Some of our most smartest and noble people such as Albert Enstein believed in a god. Though notice I didn't say he was a Christian.

Notice how he throws Einstein out and uses God as validation for a Christain God. First off, are you truly an athiest or just a deist or agnostic? And even if you're not, him using general questions or thoughts validating the existence of a God, doesn't validate his Christian God.

As for all those people that claim to be Christ, did any of them truly die for the people? This is why I serve Jesus. Yeah they seem to have the same creditials, but did they ever die for the people? Yes they were crucified, but what for? Though there may be very little of historical fact about Jesus, I choose to worship him. Faith is all about believing what you can't see. If God's not real then what's after we die? Do we just cease to be? Sorry, but something about that seems obscure.

It's not only about Jesus when it comes to not believing the Bible. It's mostly about his daddy (or his other personality since they are occassionally one & the same). And if something is obscure, you don't just validate something that kinda seems close rather than wait for more appropriate information. Anyone else who was crucified is irrelevant we're dealing with Christianity alone here.

No offense dude, but if you're so sure there isn't a God, why not find out for yourself and really seek out after him? I'm not talking about church, but pray that God will show Himself to you. What happens at the end of our lives if I am right? If I'm not, I guess then i have nothing to lose.

You have sought him out in the past right? And found it wanting?

And as far as praying that God will show himself is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you pray hard enough for flying spaghetti monster to show himself, you can make that happen to. Just because you're calling it God, doesn't make it different. Your mind can manifest whatever you want to see. And if you ask a leading question, you'll get a leading answer.

I think there's a very big Disconnect between the potential that may have been involved with the immense and unimaginably huge Universe, the Universe is so huge we can't even comprehend it's hugeness.

The SUN, our puny little small star, we see as a quarter in the sky, few ponder the true scale of the sun to even Jupiter, and then to Earth and the moon?

Whatever could have possibly created, if all were created, wouldn't have created this entire Universe of processes that go back billions of what we think of as years (in which, years, are an Earth construct relationship), we can't even fathom that amount of 'time', is one thing.. but to be as personified as our magically written book, and then to be from the hugeness of what kind of creator would even see us as any bigger than we see a grain of sand, is rather a large gap we can't even fathom, must less succomb to believe.

IN other words, whatever game is being played on humanity by whomever/whatever brought life to or created on this planet, is a far distance from the processes that make it all possible.

It's still all about control over other humans. Believe what you want, but once you start with pomp and kissingass, if you don't see the wool over your eyes, good for you. I couldn't get passed Eden without tossing it all away, even if it was a parallel for humans to make believe what happened, it's still just distant history and nothing more than building blocks for today.

But given what Christians believe They'd Be like as 'horrible sinners' if not for their Beliefs... Let them believe it, it keeps us safe.

The fact that these books made it through time, however and when ever they were really planted in our libraries, only shows that there are some humans that managed to play the telephone game and pass things down. Wow, that's exciting, but it ain't the Creator of the entire universe, or personally dealing with humans.

or something like that

So the alternative answer for you for all those questions might be: the flying spaghetti monster. And it's the definitive answer.

Ha ha! We're thinking on the same lines brother.

:)

What happens at the end of our lives if I am right? If I'm not, I guess then i have nothing to lose.

And Pascal's Wager strikes...and fails...again...

I like Thomas Blaylock's def of Faith, which is not believing in Santa.

http://www.jovialatheist.com/faith.html

The word “faith†needs to be broken down into its several parts. Our word “faith†is used by most people to mean belief, confidence, trust, conviction, reliance, assurance and the like. But that is not always the way “faith†is used in many of the ancient manuscripts and by ancient wise men including the Jesus of the Bible. In translating many ancient languages, we often use our word “faith†to translate their words for “belief.†This ignores the fact that their ancient words for “faith†were always separated from their concepts and words for “belief.â€

Their words for “faith†have a very close relationship to their words for “knowledge.†Ancient words for “faith†also have a close identity with the words for “wisdom.†Those words carried the meaning of “having the knowledge†to accomplish something. Faith does not always mean belief. “Faith†often means having the necessary knowledge to understand the ramifications of the matter and to accomplish something positive.

Jesus said if you have faith you can command this mountain to be moved and it will be moved. If you take the real ancient sense of the word we translate as “faith,†you will immediately recognize that Jesus was saying, “If you know how (have faith) you can remove that mountain.†Hey! We are doing that every day. He said, “If you know how you can turn these stones into bread (or food).†Hey! We are doing that right now too.

For a long time geologists have been telling us that oil is made from fossils. In other words, millions of dinosaurs (or fish and plants) decided they would all collect in certain spots around the earth and all die at one time right there in one place. Right? Wrong! One huge dinosaur would only make two or three barrels of oil at the most. Millions of barrels of oil are extracted from the earth “each day.†There never existed that many dinosaurs on earth (any place or any time). Certainly, they never all collected together so they could all die at the same place. Go figure.

Take him out the pseudo science ontological game and put him back into the divine game. Ask if a god is the source of these things, then which god or gods is it? Now he will have to play my god is the best because. I have always found that arguing with Christians is most fun when done at their end of the court. It's good to know the bible, general theology, and church history for the divine game.

A few thoughts on how to respond.

First, it's not your job to educate him about science. There are explanations to many of the questions he asks (some are more metaphysical in my opinion), so I think he should "find out for himself and really seek out the answers". And I would clearly point out that it's obvious that he's cutting and pasting these points from somewhere, which is clearly an intellectually dishonest thing to do. Unless he can actually explain what this question means:

Natural selection only works with the genetic information available and tends only to keep a species stable. How would you explain the increasing complexity in the genetic code that must have occurred if evolution were true?

then there's not point in even discussing it. If, for example, he wants to know how eyes evolved, Dawkins covers it in length in "the selfish gene", and there's a decent explanation on Wikipedia. The eye is a very interesting case because the mammalian eye is backwards - the optic nerve comes out the front rather than the back, which means there's a blind spot that is not present in other creatures.

Talkorigins.org has a lot of these explanations. If he wants to seriously question evolution, he needs to be able to address those issues, not just spout a list of questions and think that is enough. But theists aren't known for their rigor, or they wouldn't be theists...

Second, as others have noticed, note that the answer "god did it" is equivalent to "odin did it" or "vishnu did it". It doesn't tell you anything.

Third, there are lots of different religions with punishments if you choose the wrong one. Odin, for example, is a pretty vengeful god, and if yahweh doesn't exist and Odin does, he's in for a world of hurt.

Finally, anybody with a web browser can easily find out that the part about Einstein is wrong. Search for "Einstein religion", and a bit of reading will lead you to this:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

and

I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science.

My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance-but for us, not for God.

I don't know how people think like he does. I take that back, I once was an evangelical christian. I find it funny how a debate on the existence of god turns into a huge question-answer session on evolution.

I know. It's so strange now looking back.

Ha ha! We're thinking on the same lines brother.

:)

:grin:

It's obvious, isn't it? Matter can't come from nothing, and the Big Bang must have been started by something, and the something must then be the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

And even God happens to be the one created the Universe, the Flying Spaghetti Monster created God.

Hey, that's actually a good response.

- "Who created God?"

- "God? No one created God. He existed from eternity."

- "NO, that's impossible. God can only exist if the Flying Spaghetti Monster created God."

- "???"

Hey, that's actually a good response.

- "Who created God?"

- "God? No one created God. He existed from eternity."

- "NO, that's impossible. God can only exist if the Flying Spaghetti Monster created God."

- "???"

HA! Yes. That is righteous. :58:

No offense dude, but if you're so sure there isn't a God, why not find out for yourself and really seek out after him? I'm not talking about church, but pray that God will show Himself to you.

Holy fucking shit! I did that for many years! I groveled on my knees at the foot of the cross and begged Christ to make himself more real in my life. I can't be pissed at Christ though, it's not his fault he's just one of many parts of a millennia old series of myths.

Spank,

Here's the ultimate question you should ask the Christian who thinks he knows everything:

What's the answer to this question?

If this is the case then:

1. Where did the space for the universe come from?

2. Where did matter come from?

3. Where did the laws of the universe come from (gravity, inertia, etc.)?

4. How did matter get so perfectly organized?

5. Where did the energy come from to do all the organizing?

6. When, where, why, and how did life come from dead matter?

7. When, where, why, and how did life learn to reproduce itself?

8. With what did the first cell capable of sexual reproduction reproduce?

9. Why would any plant or animal want to reproduce more of its kind since this would only make more mouths to feed and decrease the chances of survival? (Does the individual have a drive to survive, or the species? How do you explain this?)

10. How can mutations (recombining of the genetic code) create any new, improved varieties? (Recombining English letters will never produce Chinese books.)

11. Is it possible that similarities in design between different animals prove a common Creator instead of a common ancestor?

12. Natural selection only works with the genetic information available and tends only to keep a species stable. How would you explain the increasing complexity in the genetic code that must have occurred if evolution were true?

13. When, where, why, and how did:

a) Single-celled plants become multicelled? (Where are the two- and threecelled intermediates?)

B) Single-celled animals evolve?

c) Fish change to amphibians?

d) Amphibians change to reptiles?

e) Reptiles change to birds? (The lungs, bones, eyes, reproductive organs, heart, method of locomotion, body covering, etc., are all very different!) How did the intermediate forms live?

14. When, where, why, how, and from what did:

a) Whales evolve?

B) Sea horses evolve?

c) Bats evolve?

d) Eyes evolve?

e) Ears evolve?

f) Hair, skin, feathers, scales, nails, claws, etc., evolve?

1. For a very simple beginner's course, he could read Darwin free at Talkorigins.

2. I don't know when the ID idea was first developed but this was written in 1829 by Archibald Alexander:

A just and impartial consideration of the universe, cannot fail to lead the sincere seeker of truth to the opinion, that there must exist a great first cause, powerful and intelligent, who has made the world for some particular end. [insert his version of the watchmaker god argument--he uses a steam engine] And if we should even suppose (absurd as it is) that such an organized system could come into existence without design, how could we account for the wonderful adaptation of other things...? Without light the eye would be useless, but when we examine the mechanism of this organ, and observe that it is constructed upon the most perfect principles of optics, can we for a moment hesitate to believe that the eye was formed by a designing agent to receive, refract, and concentrate the rays of light for the purposes of vision? The same adaption is remarkable between the air and the organ of hearing; and between the air and the lungs; the same is also true in regard to the stomach and the food which it so eagerly craves. In these, and a thousand other things, the evidences of design are as strong as they possibly can be....

in Mark A. Noll editor, The Princeton Theology 1812-1921: Scripture, Science, and Theological Method from Archibald Alexander to Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield. Grand Rapids, Michigan, Baker House, 1983, pp. 95-96; emphasis added.

All of this to prove that your friend is merely spouting stuff that's been around at least two centuries (minus a decade or so, perhaps). Anyway, Alexander somehow thinks his argument is proof of God's existence. His spiritual descendents are convinced he was correct.

What I'm saying is, if the Master said it, it's got to be true. Never mind that the Master was Alexander--if not Alexander the Great, he certainly was a great Alexander. He was the first professor at Princeton Seminary and was the teacher for Charles Hodge. And Charles Hodge produced such a wonderful Systematic Theology that is as true today as the day it came steaming off the printing press in 1874. And in case you don't know it, 1800 was the very dawn of history itself. If you close your eyes really tight and think hard enough, it's as though the entire Bible fits right into the few seconds between creation and 1800.

That's the kind of thought processes you're dealing with. No point talking unless you feel like taking on a hopeless cause. That's my opinion.

Christian:

As for all those people that claim to be Christ, did any of them truly die for the people? This is why I serve Jesus.

The believer hasn't established that the Biblical character called "Jesus" was a Christ, even by Biblical standards.

According to the Bible, Jesus didn't qualify for the title of christ, not being anointed as a king, by undermining the law of God, and by giving false prophecy.

However, they simply assume things and expect you to accept their assertions as valid.

They appeal to the authority of their own version of the Bible.

The "proof" resides in their skulls, so it's going to be virtually impossible to dialog with someone like this.

Yeah they seem to have the same creditials, but did they ever die for the people? Yes they were crucified, but what for?

One could ask the same question about Jesus.

The death of a human doesn't qualify as a valid sacrifice for sin according to the law of God that Jesus was supposed to be living under. It doesn't atone for any intentional or unintentional sin.

According to the Bible, each person redeems or saves themselves by repenting and keeping the law of God(Ezek 18:20-27).

Though there may be very little of historical fact about Jesus, I choose to worship him. Faith is all about believing what you can't see.

Kind of like buying any other product that's advertised on the rado, TV, or internet.

But faith doesn't establish anything, it merely serves your personal needs.

If God's not real then what's after we die? Do we just cease to be? Sorry, but something about that seems obscure.

This seems like black and white spirituality.

God must be defined as he sees fit, even though he can't establish his version as existing or even accurate.

Almost too much work needs to be done here. The guy can't rely on you for all of it. I would ask him which he loved more Christianity or truth? Then, I would give him a reading list and be done with it.

Until his questions become interrogative rather than challenge based there's little that can be done to help him.

Guest thespankguy
Almost too much work needs to be done here. The guy can't rely on you for all of it. I would ask him which he loved more Christianity or truth? Then, I would give him a reading list and be done with it.

Until his questions become interrogative rather than challenge based there's little that can be done to help him.

This was my original thought, but I think I'm going to respond with loads of links to everything he mentioned, just to prove that it IS in fact out there. Anything else he asks I'll change and put him on the defensive.

He's not even making it fun. lol

I don't deny the that evolution is why we are here, because it is a simple process that can be expounded on. I say that in regard to the past hundred years, man has evolved, in the modern view.

My only question about the evolution process is if we evolved, then Why are human beings so much more advanced than any other creature on earth. The conditions physically, worldwide, were the same all around.Then it goes to intelligence. Why did human beings evolve in intelligence more so than any other creature. Also, though we have the ability to communicate to each other, plan, construct, demonstrate, and even be actors, in the ability to mimic something, someone; and no other creature on earth is comparable to the extent of human capabilities. We are intelligent in a human way. For example, animals are intelligent in their setting. A mother protecting their children, leading them to food, nursing them. Natural instinct. An animal that can hear miles away, or smell miles away. Police dogs, hearing aid dogs. They were trained, yes. But they were only trained to their capabilities physically. An untrained dog can still take the scent of something and go find it. It may take longer than a formally trained animal, yet its the same quality of that animal.

So. Thats my only question of evolution. Why are so much more advanced than the rest. It's actually more sensible to me to think theirs a deity setting that tone of difference in the advancements, for each setting of creature, including humans.

My simplistic mind wonders this advancement.

So. Thats my only question of evolution. Why are so much more advanced than the rest. It's actually more sensible to me to think theirs a deity setting that tone of difference in the advancements, for each setting of creature, including humans.

If human beings are really more "advanced" because God made humans more "advanced", then why did God give bats more powerful eyes than humans? Why didn't God give human beings wings to fly so we wouldn't have to go through the trouble of inventing airplanes to travel long distances? Imagine how much money that could save that we could be using to give to the poor. Why didn't God give human beings the ability to reproduce offspring asexually like other animals do so we wouldn't have to go through the unnecessary trouble of finding a mate to reproduce? If human beings are unable to find a mate to reproduce yet other species can reproduce without a mate, doesn't that make those species superior to the single human? Are human beings really so "advanced" after all or is what is considered "advanced" entirely subjective?

My only question about the evolution process is if we evolved, then Why are human beings so much more advanced than any other creature on earth.

That question presupposes that humans were intended to exist before they actually did exist. You assume that there were a plan to humans to evolve. It could have been intelligent animals evolved from some other species. Evolution just happened to result in humans. It could have been some other creatures instead of humans (say Crocoducks), then those creatures would now sit and wonder why Evolution had to result in the Crocoducks.

The conditions physically, worldwide, were the same all around.Then it goes to intelligence. Why did human beings evolve in intelligence more so than any other creature.

Part of the answer is that the apes evolved as more skilled at finding food and hiding and protecting themselves from threats. Then intelligence started to give the primates even more advantage.

If we hadn't evolved into being who we are, you wouldn't ask the question because you wouldn't have the intelligence for it.

If we had evolved, instead of into humans, into crocoducks, we would be intelligent crocoducks asking the same question you're asking.

You have to step up above your simplicity and see a larger picture.

We're not the most advanced animal on the planet... We're the most advanced homo species on the planet at this time... but try making us the most advanced creature in the niche the squid lives in and I'll show you a bobbing corpse... same with any of the less 'alien' animals... we'd last half a day top living like an elk or a lion, and move out of mammals and you have a shorter life span... three minutes for the squid...

If human beings are really more "advanced" because God made humans more "advanced", then why did God give bats more powerful eyes than humans?

Thats my point. We as humans are more advanced in our human capacities. Why? From evolution that is.

Why didn't God give human beings wings to fly so we wouldn't have to go through the trouble of inventing airplanes to travel long distances? Imagine how much money that could save that we could be using to give to the poor.

......Sorry. had a moment of thought there :eek: Just thought of people flying around everywhere. Thats about as imaginable as people living underwater. Thats the point though Neon Genesis. It seemed more sensible to my logic of a deity being involved because of the 'settings' of different species up to and including us as humans.

Why didn't God give human beings the ability to reproduce offspring asexually like other animals do so we wouldn't have to go through the unnecessary trouble of finding a mate to reproduce?

Trouble? :HaHa:

If human beings are unable to find a mate to reproduce yet other species can reproduce without a mate, doesn't that make those species superior to the single human? Are human beings really so "advanced" after all or is what is considered "advanced" entirely subjective?

Maybe more advanced in that way, or to their setting in life, but not superior.