Goodbye Jesus

F&*&ing Motherboard

crazy-tiger

It's gone... last night the AGP slot gave up the ghost. So, time for me to buy a new motherboard... except it's gonna have to be a PCI-E board since AGP is way out of date. Not a real problem, it means I'll just have to get a new Graphics card too since AGP cards don't work in PCI-E boards.

But wait, there's more... It means new Ram too, since the old sticks I have don't work in the new boards. Oh, and the CPU needs replacing because... yep, you guessed it... the old one won't work with the new board.

Oh, and a new PSU is needed, since the one I've got isn't fully compatible with the new board and likely not powerful enough...

Dammit... I was planning on upgrading anyway, but by buying the bits over a few months... now, I have to buy it all at once, or suffer the use of this extremely slow and antiquated lump for a few months.

Fucking typical... just when things seem to be going ok too.

Have you thought about something built around the AMD 780G chipset (ASUS M3A78-EMH or GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H)? Has most everything built-in including graphics and the 3200 graphics are okay when compared to most AGP boards people have installed (and you get a 65% boost when paired with a cheap 34xx series PCI-E card in crossfire mode). Drop in a low power CPU (move from single to quad core on the same MB) and a couple GB RAM and you could probably get away with using your current PSU while stripped down.

mwc

Yeah, I thought of something like that... but it's not that fast an option and since I'm a pretty hardcore gamer, fast is a primary concern.

The thing I'm really pissed at is the fact I'd worked out how I could get everything I need over time while still having a system that could handle even new games without having a panic attack. Instead, I'm using a system that manages games from '02 with a little trouble... anything more recent and it's gonna have a fit!

Oh, and it's fucking easter weekend, so I've got to wait that extra couple of days before I can get it delivered.

Oh, and it's fucking easter weekend, so I've got to wait that extra couple of days before I can get it delivered.

Clearly jebus didn't die on the cross for you to have uber gaming! Inconsiderate bastard :)

Besides dear, don't lie to them, you wanted a new PC and you're glad that you now have justification for it, even if it does mean you have to suffer the dreeded PC-of-slowness that we keep as a backup for these situations.

Besides dear, don't lie to them, you wanted a new PC and you're glad that you now have justification for it, even if it does mean you have to suffer the dreeded PC-of-slowness that we keep as a backup for these situations.

The PC-of-slowness is my sacrifice... think anyone will worship me in 2,000 years? ;)

The PC-of-slowness is my sacrifice... think anyone will worship me in 2,000 years? ;)

With your UT scores? not bloody likely

With your UT scores? not bloody likely

Oh come on... I don't play that on-line.

LOTR:O, which the PC-of-slowness insists should go forth and fornicate... AO, which it thinks is ok... Goonzu, which is slow as shit on any system anyway... Those I play on-line, but not UT. :P

Oh come on... I don't play that on-line.

LOTR:O, which the PC-of-slowness insists should go forth and fornicate... AO, which it thinks is ok... Goonzu, which is slow as shit on any system anyway... Those I play on-line, but not UT. :P

Sorry, but if you want anyone to worship you 2000 years from now, you need to be getting 'god-like' on UT, consistantly, online!

Nothing else will do for wanna-be gods these days

Sorry, but if you want anyone to worship you 2000 years from now, you need to be getting 'god-like' on UT, consistantly, online!

So, you're ok with me not worshiping you and your body then? ;)

Ah, but i DO get god-like, consistantly, online, you just never notice because I do it in a way that you don't see. Doing things without any physical evidence or credible witnesses is the hallmark of a good god!

Ah, but i DO get god-like, consistantly, online, you just never notice because I do it in a way that you don't see. Doing things without any physical evidence or credible witnesses is the hallmark of a good god!

:notworthy:

You win... this time.

Bought a package PC at costco (Acer quad-core) came with a 22 inch screen. 700$ (came with 3gig ram and Vista premium)...

Replaced the PSU with a 700Watt (100$) and put in a NVIDIA 8800GS (200$)...

Beats packages worth twice the money. (If your savy enough to replug a PSU).

The one that just died was a package PC... though it cost a shocking £1,500 at the time, roughly $2,800 at todays rates. (almost 5 years back, so it would be more today...)

The stuff I'm looking at now would cost a spanking £850... but that's ram, PSU, 2x GPU, Dual-Core, PCI-E MB, 4 HDD IDE cases, 2x 22" flatscreens, 2x 500GB HDD's. (hell, if I've got to do it all in one go, I'm gonna get ALL the stuff I bloody want in one go) If I was gonna get that as a package, basically double the price.

Hmm... might just be good enough to run Vista... :HaHa: