Goodbye Jesus

Dr. Lyle Rossiter...

Guest RevDDM

I think that should read

"In fact one can undoubtedly make a stronger case for religion since it has so many obvious signs of mental illness, everything from schizophrenia to psychosis: delusions, paranoia, hallucinations, inability to distinguish fantasy from reality, hearing voices (i.e. god, jesus, devils, etc), belief that invisible people are real (angels, demons, etc)."

Since I wondered for a moment why you were saying Madam M has such a list of psychoses :fdevil:

Hehe, thanks for pointing that out and luckily I was still able to edit my post. I also changed the other "you" because when I read it again you were right the way it was worded it sounded like I was suggesting Madam M had obvious signs of mental illness which is definitely not the case :grin: . It's been a long day...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Legion

• Antlerman

• Ouroboros

• Grandpa Harley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...I get labeled as a liberal...

There's a good reason for that Chef. You are a liberal. Why not own it?

Well mostly because I'm interested in conserving things rather than destroying things. Perhaps the labels got switched around. I'm not sure. Look at Slick Willy Clinton. They call him a liberal, but out of him we got the WTO and less help for the poor. I'm for not blowing things up and or invading at the drop of a hat. I know that is called liberal, but I don't know why. It sounds conservative to me. I'm for not taking the planet apart and filling garbage dumps with it. Again that sounds conservative to me. I'm for destroying all the nukes so that we can't carbonize the planet in a fit of pique. It is all too confusing to me, I presume that's because I'm old.

Chef,

I don't see anything 'old' about wanting to preserve our planet. My 'kids' are 18 & 23 and feel the same way you do. May 'Mother Nature' keep our world & us safe from our own stupidity.

elana

Well, as a group, theists tend to believe that 1) some people have the truth, 2) they tell it to others, and 3) everybody should follow the "rules" of the leaders. People who used to be religious had to have the ability to think for themselves and not accept "the party line", so in general they tend to be liberal in their worldview, at least in the sense of believing that people deserve things like decency, self-determination, etc.

But, "liberal" is a very loaded term in political discussions, so I wouldn't self-label myself with that. I may have liberal views, I may have progressive views, but I don't have direct political identity.

I have not read the book, but reading the description on Amazon, I think that anybody who could blame the liberals for causing "devastating effects on the institutions of liberty" in a book published in 2006 is clearly irony-challenged, and I think I'd also say, "delusional".

As a counter, I highly suggest reading Bob Altemeyer's interesting book "The authoritarians", which explains a lot about the conservative mindset:

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

I'll also note that it is an incredibly popular approach of the conservatives to accuse liberals of doing exactly what they are doing.

Finally, the conservative mindset is very black/white, as is the theistic mindset. It's not a surprise that a group that believes "our god right, your god wrong" can also believe "my country right, your country wrong" so fervently.