Goodbye Jesus

Two Stories

Huntsvil

And to add to the thread, who are you really? I mean, what is you, what identifies you?

Considering that in Heaven supposedly you don't remember the bad and good times in life, your memories are gone, so what's the purpose to go to heaven then? It's just your "spirit" or "soul", but not really You that will go there.

If it was you, as a person, then your memory has to follow too, but it's stored in your brain, and the brain will turn to dirt and not go with you...

So even with a heaven, the real You, your memories and identity is gone anyway...

And that would just be silly...wasn't the whole point of god putting people on earth was to prove their worthiness in order to go to heaven?

God: You have proven yourself worthy...you may enter.

Human: I did? And...who are you? :grin:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Amethyst

• Huntsvil

• chefranden

I believe that we are all unique and uniquely built for a greater purpose that only applies to us.

Heard this same line the other night in the movie "Fallen." :lmao:

"Greater purpose that applies only to us?" Well..I could almost buy that. But, what of those who die young, say children? What greater purpose was that? Or those who end up in jail? Did they just not.."fulfill their purpose?"

I can accept that every contributes in some manner to the whole..I can even accept reincarnation, and the purpose of coming back again and again and again is to learn something..

I am commiting message board crime and responding before I have read all replies, forgive me if I repeat anything.

Once upon a time, the universe banged into being for no apparent reason and with no apparent purpose. Someday it will end with no one left to remember it ever existed. In the mean time we live and die. And thats about it.

The second story begins with a Creator who designs the universe to creat life. The Creator cares for everything He has made, including us. The Creator reachs out to us. When we die we enter into His presence so that this life that we now live is a prelude to a demension of life that never dies.

Now at least one of those are false.

yeppers

And if you believe the second story is false, then no wonder you fear death.

Can we say assumption??? I do not fear death. Why fear a time when you will have no fear, pain, desires, nothing? Nothing, is nothing to fear.

You have got to grab for all the gusto in life you can, because when life is over, you have seen your last gusto, baby.

True, not seeing the problem though. :shrug:

You only go around once in life,

Isn't that a Christian belief? Only go around once, deny yourself everything for pie in the sky. Many other faiths tell a totally differnt story, where you go around inumerous times.

and when you die with the most toys, thats tough, because not only can you not take it with you, you are not going anywhere you can take them to anyway, and there is no you left and no where to go.

Everything you ever learned about atheism you learned from a bumber sticker??

But what if the second story is true?

If I have enough faith, and wish hard enough, can I make it so my parents never had sex and the stork brought me? I think thats a prettier story too, especially when you watch Dumbo.

Want more?

No, thanks, I have several books of fairy tales to amuse me and feed my imagination. Seriously though, thanks for the offer.

And that would just be silly...wasn't the whole point of god putting people on earth was to prove their worthiness in order to go to heaven? 

God:  You have proven yourself worthy...you may enter.

Human:  I did?  And...who are you? :grin:

:lmao:

Human: Where am I? Who am I?

God: NO! I don't want to explain that again!

God: Do I have to give you a new book to make you understand the meaning of life?

God: Do I have to give you a new book to make you understand the meaning of life?

Human: No, we already know it's 42. ;)

It is not my intention to convert anyone, but with the free flow of ideas, to find some truth in what all have to say.

Then I apologise for my assumption that your re-tread of this oh too familiar question was an attempt at converstion, or to "make me think".

As a present "christian', and I have come to not like what is thought of that word,

Then wouldn't it make sense to go to the testimony board adn erad why that word is thought of in that way?

I only want answers to my questions that each person has personally.

And you got them.

For to admit you do not need questions answered is to show an arogance far beyond what you might think a "christian" has.

I never underestmate the depth of Christian arrogance, if that is rude to you, sorry, but in my life I have met many Chrisitans and many non-christians, and I do not see humbleness as a common Christian trait. I am not saying no Christians are humble, I am saying the ones I come across are mostly not.

Your assumption that we fear death moreso then a person who believes in the myth you proposed came off as arrogance.

We are now moving beyond what we have been taught in the modern view of this world to the post modern view just as our ancesters did when they believed the world was flat. We need a new template to look thru, be very careful you do not throw out a posible truth just because some people hve given you their view. There view might be erroneous.

Okay if you were reading the above, and you did not write it could you see how it just comes off as arrogant? Your warnnig to be careful, your assumption that the people here in this forum are all parroting each other?

Okay if you were reading the above, and you did not write it could you see how it just comes off as arrogant? Your warnnig to be careful, your assumption that the people here in this forum are all parroting each other?

Again I see my mistake...I am sorry Purple. I have this knack, I am told, that I am not sensitive to others feelings. I will try to proof my words more carefully and try to see it from anothers perspective. Isn't life a constant challenge,lol

Huntsvil

Strange thing -- because of my age, I'm probably closer to death than 97% of the people here, yet when I think of my death I find myself more and more focused on what people will think and say about me after I die. I almost never wonder how or when I'll die, or whether it will be painful or peaceful, and I've comfortably discarded any notion of an afterlife, but I do wonder what the people I love will say to one another about me in the years after I die.

I find myself hoping they'll swap stories of when I was particularly funny or outrageous, and that they'll keel over with laughter, remembering.

So, I'm stepping up the rate and intensity of being funny and outrageous whenever possible, and hoping those I love will make a note of it, for later.

Thanks Pitchu, you wrote my post for me.

I am a few years younger than you, but once you are in your 40’s you begin to feel quite mortal. The only time I ever feared death was during my two year stint in the Christianity cult. Once I freed myself from that mindset death no longer carried the same baggage of fear that it did before. Like you, I am far more concerned about how others will remember me than I am about dying. I’ll be dead, why should I care?

How many of us can remember what it was like to be 4 years old? Isn’t that little person now dead in a way? Life is a continuum of experiences. Our brains are quite limited in their capacity remember details (who we are at a particular time) very long. I quit my last my job over two years ago. There is no way I could go back today and pick up where I left off.

Life is precious because it is limited. If I believed that life was forever I doubt that I would appreciate it the way that I do now. Most people want life to continue so that they can be reunited with loved ones. Do you still think the relationship that you have with your child will be as precious in five-hundred-thousand-trillion-years as it is now? It is life’s limitations that give it value. Extending it forever makes it valueless and meaningless.

And thanks for extending my post into territory that needed covering, IBF. We're two of a kind on this issue.