Goodbye Jesus

My College Is Starting A Freethinker Society

bluewizard

My college, the University of Tennessee At Martin, a college of about 6,000 people, has finally started a Freethinker Society. We had our first meeting last Sunday night and had about 15 people come. It was good though because the only place I had ever heard non Christian religious discussion was on this site, and it was good to hear people discussing the issues for non-believers. Also a few of my friends from my field of major were there and that was good. We watched a movie "The God That Wasn't There", which pointed out the inconsistencies of Christianity. It was a success. :D How were your first Freethinker Meetings?

• 1 month later...

I went to an atheist meeting for the first time recently, but it wasn't a college group. I have to be honest and say I was a bit disappointed.

I think I was expecting it to be a real life version of this website, sort of a support group/discussion forum, but it was more of a business meeting for a group that wants to spread awareness. Most of the people were over 40, so I didn't exactly fit in age-wise. I'll probably keep going, because I think it's a good idea. I just wish there was a local college age group with a different focus that I could also attend. :(

Congrats though, sounds like a good program! Did you help found it, or were you more along for the ride?

I've never been to a Freethinker's meeting. It sucks, because there is absolutely nothing for non-xtians here. Half the people here are eitehr lukewarm or atheists/agnostics but there is still absolutely nothing...

I can't find any teenage atheist groups on the internet either, that are still active. Most of the ones I find have sites/forums that haven't been updated or posted for several days/weeks/months/years. I want to get answers, you know, I don't want to feel alone.

:/

The closet group for me is about a 4 hour drive from here. Even in a pretty liberal city in the middle of the Bible Belt, we have surprisingly little in the way of organized freethinking groups. I'd have a hard time going, anyway - the 'rents are supportive, but they tend to be wary of activists.

I can't find any teenage atheist groups on the internet either, that are still active. Most of the ones I find have sites/forums that haven't been updated or posted for several days/weeks/months/years. I want to get answers, you know, I don't want to feel alone.

There's actually a brand new blog roll going for teenage freethinkers, if you're interested. You can find out about it here. What with the whole homeschooling thing, I'm pretty much alone as far as the real world goes, so one has to improvise.

I would be happy to have one in North Platte, NE if anyone is interested. PM or e-mail me here on this website.

Never been to one. There's an atheist group in the Cities but they meet too far away for me to really want to go. You'd think in a city the size of Minneapolis/St. Paul there'd be more, but they don't advertise if there are any. I think Minnesota just has too big a Christian population for any major non-Christian groups to get a foot hold.