Goodbye Jesus

Embarassing

ogilvy

i can see it now, i couldnt see it then. how embarassing to remember all the silly things i've said to defend christianity, parotting what others had said before me. granted, i did assume that 'older' christians knew more than i did, and that ministers and commentators who had studied greek and hebrew must know what they're talking about. that seems reasonable. but i dont know why it took me 20 years to see the silliness of all those excuses for things about christianity which didnt make sense.

I felt like I had entered rehab when I left church, I was calling everyone to apologize. I cringe inside at the thought of what a bloody bigot I was. My sister and I cried together for a couple of hours after I apologized for treated her so abominally.

Guest GlitterSno

I think it would take me a month of Sundays to apologize to everyone I was an arse to. I did get to some, but there are others out there that I would LOVE to apologize to. It is amazing, you think you are looking out for their best interest, instead, you are making their lives a living hell :( If ever there was a religious idiot, I was indeed one.

I am SO glad that I am not that person anymore! YAY!

If ever there was a religious idiot, I was indeed one.

You weren't the only one Sno...You know as well as anyone that I was the same way. What I wouldn't give to the people that I hurt. I shunned people, I acted like I was better than they were...etc...it is very sad. I think that as ex-christians, the one person that we often forget to apologize to is ourselves. We go through so much self hatred because of "sinning" or simply not being fully "holy." That is where I am at now...I set myself up for failure and when I did fail, I just blamed it on my lack of faith, etc.

Yep, I feel the same way.

Being intoxicated by religion/"relationship" with "god" sure can make a person do and say some strange things. Boy oh boy was I wrong. But fortunately, there is hope for reason and rationality to win the day.

Thank goodness my days of religious fervor/delusion over now!

I still cringe at some of things I said to my parents and siblings, and that was 30 years ago! Thank goodness I was able to repair the damage and reestablish a loving relationship with them again. It was years before they felt comfortable enough to tell me I had been a total asshole. And I was. :loser:

Put me on the list too, I was such a tool. I don't really have abything to add to what anyone else said.

Guest Anticontrame

Ditto what everyone else said.

From my point of view, it's chance to learn, and a reminder not to slip into those behaviors again. It's easy to be a tool, no matter what your beliefs or cause. I still find myself getting emotionally involved in certain debates, but I don't think I could ever be THAT bad again. (I hope.)

Guest Freepagan

I used to send hand-written evangelistic letters to random people hoping that I could "plant a seed." I'd open the phone book, and wherever my finger landed, that's where I sent the letter. Looking back I realize that I was completely delusional.

You did well! It took me 30 years!

something really silly I said when I was like 21ish. There was this recovering alcholic who was freaking out that he was having problems kicking the bottle at the homeless shelter and was making a big scene. I in my naievity though that Satan was tormenting so I went up to him, like a hot shot Mavrick "Christian Soldier" and berated him. with Moral bosting (ego boosting), affirmations such as "You are having such a tough time, because Satan fears you, and is working hard to make you crave booze". But I was all rabid and machoist about it. Ahhhh youth, and the hormones flushing around.... lol. Somehow I mutated into a firebrand preacher, screaming at him to "ruck up and chant "Satan Fears me Satan Fears me".

I really should have gone into acting, with my naieve Zeal... It's an embarssement now. I'm surprised to see that the shelter didn't call the cops, because I was certainly exhibiting the signs of a cracked out guy. Man did that feed my ego of self importance. Me a Holy warrior of God, casting out Demons parasites plaguing the man, with my Carebear powers........