Goodbye Jesus

Speaking In Tongues?

Stephen_Richard_Webb

Sure, in some Qabalistic traditions the word is used

<snip>

European mystery schools and the qabalistic schools [or variations thereof] where quite common during the time of Christian Rosencrutz...founding father of the Rosicrucian order...

Thanks a lot for this info. I did a search on Google and read some on this website. It gives me some insight on their ideas and beliefs. I almost bought into it, to be honest. But the mission statement puts too much emphasis on special knowledge--on "just knowing." That endorses, or opens the gate, to untold evils and deception with no accountability in the name of god.

I think that the rhythmic patterns and overloading of the senses in group settings was merely a tool. Our brains can only take so much rhythmic stimulation, couple this with trying to maintain your own internal rythm and you begin to see patterns [or rather hear them - you see them in your minds eye]

Thanks for this. I'm trying to get at what happens on the psychological level, but I'm trying to understand this without doing a batch of university courses in psychology. This is helpful.

This must be what human societies the world over across time, geography, and culture, have drawn on for music, drum-beat, dance, prayer, sermon, merzmerize/hypnotisis, etc. It's why we find the murmur of a brook soothing, or the sound of the breeze, or the bright lights of the city, etc. Just guessing here but it is probably also the way people in slave labour situations survive, or refugees fleeing on foot; their bodies go into a trancelike state of sleep while they continue to perform mechanically. I can see why people think "someone" or "something" other than human takes over. Some cultures call this god.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stephen_Richard_Webb

• LtJayson

• R. S. Martin

• ogilvy

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo. Many people don't really understand how overloading a persons sences with "holy text" really works, except for a few - and those few may very well employ these psychological methods via mass media and technology now-a-days. I know, it sounds paranoid and a little off the wall, but that is the very essence of "conditioning" it sounds too bizarre to be real, and its methods are insidious - the people don't even know its happening, so they stay stuck.

Bingo. Many people don't really understand how overloading a persons sences with "holy text" really works, except for a few - and those few may very well employ these psychological methods via mass media and technology now-a-days. I know, it sounds paranoid and a little off the wall, but that is the very essence of "conditioning" it sounds too bizarre to be real, and its methods are insidious - the people don't even know its happening, so they stay stuck.

Are you saying I'm right, or wrong, or is this the start of a new thought? I don't think I mentioned "holy text." I was thinking about the rhythm of the voice delivering the sermon or prayer. When I think about "holy text" I think about marks on a page. With my low vision, the marks on the page do not overpower my sense of sight at all. But I was born this way, maybe it's different for others???

Texts read aloud is what I was pointing to - someone who is familiar with a particular faith and "understands" the meaning of the passages have bits of related info stored in the sub-conscious [some have more than others], then using the over-stimulation of the senses that we were talking about, it has a much more profound effect on the individual, lets say for instance a room full of evangelicals each decide to read a different passage of the bible at the same time out loud over and over again - and lets assume that each person is familiar with all of the passages that the others are reading out loud, after a while, people who are more suseptable may begin to experience sensory overload which further fulls there eccstatic emmotional state and trance sets in, or what they are reading then becomes a non-sensical ranting that is to be interpreted as tongues...

I don't think I've ever seen this.