Goodbye Jesus

The Apostle's Neice

Guest Zenobia

we just need to move your house to Maine...

Goodbye Jesus
Guest Zenobia

Kay I'll start tearing it down and mailing you the pieces - and we can put it back together there :)

Thank you for posting your story. There are no words to convey the strength reading it gave me. I also would like to read your book when it is published.

Guest Zenobia
Thank you for posting your story. There are no words to convey the strength reading it gave me. I also would like to read your book when it is published.

Thank you... I am glad you liked it. And thanks for the encouragement about my book. To be honest I have gone back and forth a million times over whether to write it... It's really hard dredging up all that stuff. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the bother... would anyone outside of my former church find it interesting? And how much legal crap am I going to have to deal with. Will I get sued? Argh..... it makes it hard to write sometimes. But I somehow have managed to plug away...

I am indeed of 50% Norwegian descent, courtesy of my maternal grandparents, with Scottish on the paternal side of the family tree (including an Irish-born great-grandmother and a few fiddle-playing alleles in my genes). I also have a strong attachment to Iceland... It's entirely possible that some of my ancestors settled the island a thousand or more years ago.

Awesome... I hail from King Harold the Fair-Haired myself. He was one of the most feared berzerkers in Viking history, if I studied my history correctly ;-) And on my daddy's side, I come from a long line of Scottish mercenaries. Fortunately, I have just enough Jewish blood to put you on a serious guilt trip, after I plunder your village and rob all the inhabitants ;-)

Fortunately, I have just enough Jewish blood to put you on a serious guilt trip, after I plunder your village and rob all the inhabitants ;-)

*waah* "That's all right, I'll just sit here and *snif* loot the village all by myself... You could at least finish your lutefisk -- I walked all the way to Oslo for that bag of quicklime..."

:funny:

:lmao: You are a trip, girl. Hey here's one for you - an old family saying of ours:

Ten thousand Swedes

Crawling through the weeds

Pursued by ONE DRUNKEN NORWEIGEN!

Hahahaha!

hey! I was going to offer you some knäckebröd to go with your mjöd, now I'm not so sure... :grin: Welcome Zenobia!

Kay I'll start tearing it down and mailing you the pieces - and we can put it back together there :)

It's coming up on summer there so you'll still be warm.. hehehe.. I can't wait to come back this fall and spend a week there again. We'll have to go out dancing and Karoke.

I am indeed of 50% Norwegian descent, courtesy of my maternal grandparents, with Scottish on the paternal side of the family tree (including an Irish-born great-grandmother and a few fiddle-playing alleles in my genes). I also have a strong attachment to Iceland... It's entirely possible that some of my ancestors settled the island a thousand or more years ago.

Awesome... I hail from King Harold the Fair-Haired myself. He was one of the most feared berzerkers in Viking history, if I studied my history correctly ;-) And on my daddy's side, I come from a long line of Scottish mercenaries. Fortunately, I have just enough Jewish blood to put you on a serious guilt trip, after I plunder your village and rob all the inhabitants ;-)

Fortunately, I have just enough Jewish blood to put you on a serious guilt trip, after I plunder your village and rob all the inhabitants ;-)

*waah* "That's all right, I'll just sit here and *snif* loot the village all by myself... You could at least finish your lutefisk -- I walked all the way to Oslo for that bag of quicklime..."

:funny:

:lmao: You are a trip, girl. Hey here's one for you - an old family saying of ours:

Ten thousand Swedes

Crawling through the weeds

Pursued by ONE DRUNKEN NORWEIGEN!

Hahahaha!

hey! I was going to offer you some knäckebröd to go with your mjöd, now I'm not so sure... :grin: Welcome Zenobia!

You forgot to offer the lutefisk and lefse! :woohoo:

I have Norsk within my ancestry also.

Guest Zenobia

Mmmmmmm...knäckebröd..... its good baked with melted cheese and butter :)

Guest Zenobia
It's coming up on summer there so you'll still be warm.. hehehe.. I can't wait to come back this fall and spend a week there again. We'll have to go out dancing and Karoke.

I hope so too! I know you're gonna be busy though visiting everyone and especially your kids. But yeah would be great to go singing... we haven't gone in what 5 years?

• 2 weeks later...
So it came to me. Spirituality is not limited TO religion. It is limited BY religion.

Welcome to Life. All well said, and respected.

Now, you may be a Jezebel. But are you a Juke Joint Jezebel?

Guest Zenobia

I must be getting behind the times because I had to google that one... Hmmm KMFDM ... "industrial" genre....

No, I'm thinking I'm more of a Jazz Joint Jezabel.

:)

Hi!

Pleased to meet you, and glad you're free from the load of crap.

Everyone in their own way, yes...

...but good freakin' grief!!

I'm very, very glad you're not allowing yourself to be beaten in the name of obedience to some man's God.

Guest Zenobia
I'm very, very glad you're not allowing yourself to be beaten in the name of obedience to some man's God.

Some man's god is exactly right...

It sure isn't a woman's God... we'd have designed Her better!!

But yes, it is good to live the free life. Thank you Mysteries Child...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I read this thread, thanks to you referring me to it in your pm, Zenobia. I think I just read bits and pieces before. A person who opens with "my uncle was a television evangelist" does not seem to have anything in common with me. How mistaken I was!

My people thought tv was from the devil. Some extremely conservative christians apparently think tv is the way to get the Word out. Hmmmm. Not sure how they can use the devil's tool to spread the Lord's Word but so be it.

I was looking forward to freedom when I left the Church. I naively thought that outside of the Church, life would be different and I would find people who thought like I did, who were free-thinking and accepting, non-judgemental, and open-minded. But I was in for a shock. I soon found out that most people are bound to religions just as strict and narrow as the one I came out of. They are just as judgemental, hypocritical, and shallow and all of them believe they belong to "God's One True Church"TM! What a disapointment. It turned out that open minded, honest people who really are searching for TRUTH (and I don't mean the bible brand of "truth") are as rare as the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Yup. Today I read somewhere that seeking the truth and claiming to have the truth were two different things; whoever said it approved of the first kind of person but totally rejected the second. I think there's something not quite right with not being allowed to ever arrive at any conclusions--if we find a truth I think we should be allowed to hold onto it and still be respected for it. However, we need to be open to new information that might come in regarding it.

Thus, we have the absolute knowledge (according to the Genesis account) that God created the heavens and the earth in six days and rested the seventh day, versus the Big Bang. Fundies fault Big Bang thinking with always changing and never arriving at a final conclusion. Well, it's not as though Big Bang thinking changed everytime you or I have a dream or a "message from God." It's based on solid scientific research regarding how things work in our universe. Exactly what is wrong about not knowing exactly how our universe came into being? If it has not always existed, it has definitely existed since long before any of our ancestors so that its origins do not affect how we live our lives.

In my opinion, how the universe came into being is not a "truth" that needs to be pinned down any time soon. How to live with people of differing beliefs, however, seems to be an immediate issue that requires quick resolution if we don't want this planet blown to smitherines. That, somehow, seems not to bother Christians a lot. I think there is something to be said for arriving at some kind of resolution--"having truth"--but one should always be open to investigating new information when and if it comes in.

So I finally stopped trying to fit in. I am just as outrageous as I feel like being. If people don't like it, then I don't want to associate with them anyway. That may sound harsh - but it's my way of avoiding a lot of heartache. I don't care for pretenses and games of "lets pretend." I am who I am, take it or leave it. Right now I am "pagan" - at least in the sense that I find my spirituality fufilled by Nature. I openly wear a pentacle - not because I believe some pagan god or goddess is listening to my prayers, but because I believe in the symbolism of it.

I gave up trying to fit in, too, and I find that does a lot of my "screening process" for me. The other day I was talking about the challenges of learning how to live in the city. A person twisted that and said, "So if you're trying to fit in why don't you change your dress and hair? Have you ever thought about cutting your hair? Or what about wearing a modest pant suit?" I was talking about survival on the level of how to find food in the city where there is no barn to provide meat, milk, or eggs, and no vegetable garden. After thinking about it long enough I realized that steak and potatoes must be available at the grocery store. Someone is worried about my dress and hair??? They can go find other friends if outward appearance is important to them. The people I care about accept me as I am.

Clearly, I am not a Jezebel, but hey! I like independent thinkers and you seem like one of the best. Thanks for directing me to your thread, Zenobia. Incidentally, I read a book (historical fiction ca 800s) on Iceland this past week. That "close encounter" with medieval Vikings helps me much better understand a lot of the posts on this thread.

After thinking about it I realize that in the above post I was being critical, and got carried away with philosophizing, which is not appreciated in this part of the forums. I apologize. I agree with you, Zenobia, about people being rare who are truly seeking truth. I am glad to have you on these forums. Please accept a very much belated "Welcome" from me.

Guest Zenobia

Hi There R.S. Martin ~ Well met and no offense taken whatsoever - I love philosophical dicsussions and didn't see anything "critical" in your post :) On the contrary, I appreciate that you really read my post :)

Yeah... our church was extremely "legalistic" about the babble... we practiced almost all of the Old testament laws - in fact we were more kosher than many Jews I have met! Up to and including the Days of Unleavened bread which accompany thr Passover. Only difference was, we believed that Passover was a commemoration of Christ's sacrifice as well as the exodus from Egypt. The lambs that the Jews sacrificed, whose blood was wiped on the doorposts to keep the angel of the Lord away - in our church - was just a symbolic reference of Christ's sacrifice to come. That's why he was referred to as the "lamb" of god.

bah... anyway, we were a "thinking man's" church... not so much into the "emotion" other religions get into, which to this day I find disturbing. I attended a pentecostal revival with my sister once and it totally freaked me out. It seemed like everyone just went mad to me. The whole "speaking in tongues" thing was bizarre - not because I have any issues with "true" glossolalia.. but this was nothing like that. It was just people obviously "pretending" to speak tongues. really stupid sounding, IMHO... I actually do sing in "tongues" myself... not because I see it as a gift from the holy spirit or anything of the kind. It's a style of music I do which I call "spirit song." I played some of it for Antlerman, lol.

So, no we didn't believe televisions were "evil" per se - but we were very strict about what we watched. We viewed them more as a "necessary evil" because we used the TV to broadcast the "message"... LOL... but we were not alloed to watch TV on the Sabbath or on any Holy days - unless it was our own broadcast of course. Educational shows were acceptable but entertainment was frowned upon, especially crime shows or anything with violent content.

Your own background sounds very interesting to me however... I have a "fantasy" of living an agrarian lifestyle without a lot of technology... minus the whole religion trip, of course... but sometimes I think it would be wonderful to just live so close to the earth. What an interesting life you've had...

Welcome, Zenobia. I am so glad you broke free. Of all the professional god-liars, I loathe televangelists the most.

Happy thoughts and good wishes to you.

Guest eejay

Whoa, and I thought it was bad having a pedophile priest for an uncle. You have been a great asset to this site and your posts are always inspiring. Hope I get up your way sometime, I owe you a dinner! EEJAY

PS....I promise to hold the farts! :goodjob:

Guest Zenobia

Snakefoot

Of all the professional god-liars, I loathe televangelists the most.

Yes... me too :pyth:

And thanks for the welcome :)

Eejay

Whoa, and I thought it was bad having a pedophile priest for an uncle. You have been a great asset to this site and your posts are always inspiring. Hope I get up your way sometime, I owe you a dinner! EEJAY

Thank you :) I've enjoyed your posts as well and am glad I met you! Hope you can make it up this way and dinner would be wonderful... we can argue then over who gets the tab :P

PS....I promise to hold the farts!

Whew!!! Thank the goddess!!! Or whatever imaginary cosmic muffin is watching over us all.