Goodbye Jesus

How Many Times A Week Did You Attend Church?

sethosayher

When I was in elementary school, I'd ask my friends, "How many times a week do you go to church?"

Overwhelmingly, the answer was "Like two times."

"Two times a week? Not bad, I guess.."

"No, I mean two times a year."

Oh, how I envied them. You see, for certain families church is nothing short of the nexus of their lives. On a good week, I'd go to Sunday service, Friday prayer meeting, Saturday morning prayer meeting, Saturday afternoon prayer meeting and Saturday night prayer meeting. On a bad week, I'd have to add Bible study, intercessory prayer, and fasting and prayer sessions.

Because I'm still in the closet (in terms of my atheism) I'm going to have to waste away my spring break by going to fasting and prayer services this entire week.

I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Wednesday thru Sunday when I was really "on fire" for the Lard.

From about age 8 to 17 - 3 times a week. Sunday morning and Sunday evening, then often Wednesday evening as well.

My parents were and are complete literalistic fundamentalists. Believe it or not they still do this pattern. It is so robotic and mindless. My mother still reads her Bible every morning. I just don't understand how anyone could keep up a pattern like this for over 30 years. It is mind boggling to me.

from ages 6-7 twice a week, if you count the service on Sunday and AWANA on Wednesday.

from then on only once.

Service twice on Sunday and once on Wednesday. "My" church went through five+ pastors in the time I was there, and all of them had different programs. Sometimes they had separate nights for men and women's prayer (Tues/Thursday), sometimes they had a group prayer service on Saturdays. The three-service a week rule was ALWAYS a minimum, though. They often had week-long revivals, too.

On Sundays growing up, I attended morning mass, vespers, and religious ed. On Wednesday, I attended Youth Group. Saturday was Bosque cleanup day. This wasn't strictly religious, but it was organized by the church (actually, by my parents through the church) and we did start and end it with a prayer.

Over summer break, I still have to go to morning mass and vespers. But I'm finished with religious ed and my parents don't do Bosque cleanup during the summer. It's just too hot, and most of the volunteers are students needing volunteer hours for school or CCD which do not take place during the summer anyway. I don't mind mass so much during winter because I do love Christmas songs and winter break is pretty short.