Goodbye Jesus

Christianity Has Four Gods

Crazycatlady

from other sources I've read that 'Elohim' (Genesis 1) means "Gods".

I actually didn't know that, guess you really do learn something new every day.

So if this is true, then it only throws another contradiction into the mix (a contradiction in the Bible? Gee you don't say), in that I believe the concept of "one god" or monotheism also came from the Bible, and I thought the OT. So at the end of the day this whole trinity thing really is just one big sloppy clusterfuck of conflicting ideas and illogical concepts. Well, the trinity along with everything else in the Bible too :grin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim

Hebrew grammar

Elohim has plural morphological form in Hebrew, but it is used with singular verbs and adjectives in the Hebrew text when the particular meaning of the God of Israel (a singular deity) is traditionally understood. Thus the very first words of the Bible are breshit bara elohim, where bara ×‘×¨× is a verb inflected as third person singular masculine perfect. If Elohim were an ordinary plural word, then the plural verb form bar'u בר×ו would have been used in this sentence instead. Such plural grammatical forms are in fact found in cases where Elohim has semantically plural reference (not referring to the God of Israel). There are a few other words in Hebrew that have a plural ending, but refer to a single entity and take singular verbs and adjectives, for example ×‘×¢×œ×™× (be'alim, owner) in Exodus 21:29 and elsewhere.

In most English translations of the Bible (e.g. the King James Version), the letter G in "god" is capitalized in cases where Elohim refers to the God of Israel, but there is no distinction between upper and lower case in the Hebrew text.

I quoted it since it's as I understand it, and I didn't see the point in re-writing it...

Basically, when a Chrisitan uses the word to justify the Trinity, they're either peddling bullshit or they're just plain ignorant of the origins of their own scriptures and the languages they were written in...