Goodbye Jesus

How Sexist Was Your Church?

Guest Zenobia

I actually grew up in an atheist/agnostic secular household, but the sexism of the church still drifted into my home life. I was supposed to be a sweet, innocent little girl, wear pink and lacey things, then grow up and go to college, get a degree as a doctor or a lawyer, and meet a nice boy, get married, lose my virginity on my wedding night, and then become a stay at home wifey and mommy. Just like June Cleaver.

What I was then and am now is genderqueer. I wanted to wear jeans and a t-shirt and play sports, play with GI Joe and Transformers, and do the things my brother got to do. Instead, I was given stuffed animals, baby dolls, and tea sets, and I wasn't allowed to try out for sports. I did TRY to wear the dresses, but even then, it was totally obvious that I wasn't "quite right."

Don't have to tell me twice where all that shit came from.

• 4 months later...

My father would say either men are in charge but should listen to wives' ideas from time to time, or men should make major decisions but women can run the house. I used to rail at him about this, and he would rail back at me. We screamed at each other over whether I should go to church. Whenever the topic turns to Jeebus, I still get upset. Fun times.

• 1 year later...

The church I currently attend teach that women MUST submit to their husbands as the church. They are quick to say it does not make the woman inferior. Right. However, every male treats me as if I have permanent brain damage because I have ovaries. Actually , now that I think about it Paul's words were a catalyst to question the validity of the bible in the first place. Thus I went down the rabbit hole of bible scholarship and history.

• 2 weeks later...

Joan of Arc would not have been very welcome in our church, let's say.  Church was not very approving of girls who were not "womanly" enough.  If you have not been married and pregnant by a certain age, they're going to treat you as a nobody.  They have a strong fear of lesbianism.  Tomboyishness is ok with them, only for children.  After you cross a certain age threshold, you had better become a "real woman" and marry and start teaching sunday school or else you've failed at life. 

As far as I'm concerned Joan of Arc- regardless of her belief system- was more of a woman than any sunday school teacher or church lady I ever met in my life.  The church has it's ideas of women warped by- how else- the bible.  Modern christianity has a way of ripping the backbone out of a woman and turning her into a dog that barks on command. 

• 2 weeks later...

The church I currently attend teach that women MUST submit to their husbands as the church. They are quick to say it does not make the woman inferior. 

Heh. That's exactly the same thing as saying, "Blacks have to sit at the back of the bus, but we're not saying that makes you inferior." 

• Like 1

The church I currently attend teach that women MUST submit to their husbands as the church. They are quick to say it does not make the woman inferior.

Heh. That's exactly the same thing as saying, "Blacks have to sit at the back of the bus, but we're not saying that makes you inferior."

Hell, in the lion world the women kill but the men eat first.

the calvinist/baptist fundy church I finally left had this view of women

'Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing'

(Eph. 5:22,24).”

We heard a whole lot of sermons on "obedience"...I remember feeling inadequate because in the fundy christian world I was in, I was less of a human for not

having a penis. Women in the cult church I left were not allowed to teach, to give bible studies, or to speak in the church, unless it was a confession before they

were baptised. Though i found it rather hilarious that in many families in the church, you knew it was the women who wore the pants in the family.

Several of those women had been raised Catholics...but converted to the fundy way...yet they probably really didn't believe what the bible taught..

of course i noticed this hypocrisy of the verses that were rigidly adhered to and then when the bible verse didn't fit a personal view of a top tiered member or

the pastor, it was dismissed.

They picked and chose what they wanted or didn't want. ya gotta love xian hypocrisy! LOL