Goodbye Jesus

How Many Times Did It Take You To Leave?

gradstu09

Guest lenbitme

Twice. I first investigated atheism in a flurry of emotions and cowardly ran back to Christianity. This was in a matter of one day, mind you. Then, not long later, after the rest of my questions surfaced, and more, I investigated the background to Christianity, the beliefs of various different Christians on certain subjects, the ideas on the 'other side' and found that it made more sense to me than the Christian doctrines. I'm a great example of a weak minded person who is run by her emotions (or used to be, until rationality came into her life) 24/7, and yet I have made the solid oath to myself that I will not be one of those tortured ex-christian/atheists who goes back and forth between faith and reality. I swore that the decision I made was the decision for my lifetime. The faith is gone from me, and I am gone from the faith, and that is that. No more falling into their doctrines or foolishness. I refuse to waste good time in my life being confused when I have already arrived at the answer. That isn't to say it isn't difficult, but I've managed to arrange my life so that I have as much support as is available to me right now and so that I can move on with my life, both physically and emotionally.

I left when I was 14 or so....I had lots of doubts, then finally watched COSMOS.....I remember the exact minute when I said "this jesus crap is nonsense" and decided to be agnostic. Never looked back since then

I left when I was 14 or so....I had lots of doubts, then finally watched COSMOS.....I remember the exact minute when I said "this jesus crap is nonsense" and decided to be agnostic. Never looked back since then

I slowly weaned myself off going to the LDS church, and to stop their many presistant calls (my my I'm suddenly mr Popular, never got a call in High school, and while I was a member there), now I get calls as if I owed money to collection companies again lol... Anyhow, I offically resigned from the church, after a lenghty process of "taking your name off the rolls". (most churches would sensibly take inactive people off their list). Anyhow. needing, a "resident project" for my Duke of Edinburgh Award (Congressional Youth Award, in the States), I went to the 2002 World Youth Day. Not for the spiritual experience, but to witness a Woodstock like experience. There was this old lady with the group I was staying with. She was delighted that I was an Exmormon and made me her project.

Since then I flirted with the notion of going back and forth to church. Even to this mega church near where I live. But i figure. nah! There are better ways I could be spending my time to assist people.

Well, I didn't really have much to do with christianity once I left my christian school when I was 16. For the next 5 years, I was pretty much an agnostic atheist, but I still had a little "what if I'm wrong?" pass through my mind now and then. Then, I ended up having a religious girlfriend when I was 21. She acted like it wasn't a big deal that I wasn't religious, but I went to church with her for a while anyway. Then, she broke up with me, saying it was partially because I wasn't a christian. Well, since I had started going to church with her, I was having more "what if I'm wrong" questions go through my mind, and I was desperate to have an answer once and for all, and I wanted my ex back. So I went on a binge, reading lots of books, until I finally stopped being so skeptical and let my self slide back into the religion really strong for about half a year. Well, I got over my ex and realized I was being dishonest with myself about christianity, and ended up with more reaons to hate/disbelief in it than ever before. Haven't been back since, and there is absolutely no way I would ever be back. I've gone way too far now.

Guest eejay

For me, I started having doubts really early in my life. I stopped attending church before my teens, but since my Mom had converted to the fundies, I was pretty much forced into some of it while I was still underaged. In my adulthood there were a few times I tried other religions usually because someone in my life was trying to coerce me into believing. The only religion I pursied on my own was paganism, and that is where I was the most comfortable. Eventually though, I realized that I didn't need any of it. The acceptance being an atheist finally settled in, and I like most of the posters could never go back after seeing how blatently false religion is.