Goodbye Jesus

Re-conversion, Anyone?

florduh

• Super Moderator

There are some Christians who like to lurk around here. Some are curious, some are in the beginnings of de-conversion themselves, and some try to bring us back to the Lord.

I'm wondering if any Ex-Cs here have actually re-converted, or even altered their views in any way due to the input from our Christian visitors.

If their batting average is zero, why do they continue? If they gain converts this way, why aren't there more of them?

Personally I think some are just bored, some are questioning things themselves, and some consider this their mission field.

What do you Ex-Cs think?

- Chris

There are some Christians who like to lurk around here. Some are curious, some are in the beginnings of de-conversion themselves, and some try to bring us back to the Lord.

I'm wondering if any Ex-Cs here have actually re-converted, or even altered their views in any way due to the input from our Christian visitors.

If their batting average is zero, why do they continue? If they gain converts this way, why aren't there more of them?

Personally I think some are just bored, some are questioning things themselves, and some consider this their mission field.

What do you Ex-Cs think?

- Chris

Yes there were a few members who reconverted back in the olden days of this sight. As I recall it was not because of the posting Christians who were more numerous in those days. I suspected that these few were experimenting with non-belief because of being hurt by Christians. I.e. they were not TrueUnbelievers™ :lmao:

• Super Moderator

TrueUnbelieversâ„¢ - great!

I imagine that anyone in the earliest stages of deconversion would be very susceptible to "backsliding."

I imagine that anyone in the earliest stages of deconversion would be very susceptible to "backsliding."

Yep. I spent several years "backsliding" and then coming back to the Lard before I finally deconverted in early 2000. In retrospect, I realize that I was a Christian Atheist for a long time before all of the blinders fell off and I got free of the dogma and walked away from god belief.

I've got to say, after I found this site I was impressed by just how weak the xian visitors' arguments to return to xianity were. While it probably has zero impact, I'd have to say IF it has any impact whatsoever, I'd say the xians' input provides further evidence that deconversion was a GOOD thing.

Chris I can only speak for myself of course. They have had zero impact on my belief structure. Although I must admit; some of them have impressed me with their perseverance (or stubborness if you prefer). But there is not a snowball's chance in the Sahara that I will return to Christianity.

I've got to say, after I found this site I was impressed by just how weak the xian visitors' arguments to return to xianity were. While it probably has zero impact, I'd have to say IF it has any impact whatsoever, I'd say the xians' input provides further evidence that deconversion was a GOOD thing.

Agreed. The silly "proofs" they offer and utter lack of any new arguments after 20 centuries trying renews my "unfaith" almost daily. :goodjob:

Agreed. The silly "proofs" they offer and utter lack of any new arguments after 20 centuries trying renews my "unfaith" almost daily. :goodjob:

Amen, Brother! Glory!

Far from reconverting, the arguments I have seen so far have only confirmed my decision to leave Christianity. It looks even more appalling when you are free from it and look back.

I was actually wondering this, myself. It is quite fun reading the arguments of these proto-apologists and being reminded continually that the best arguments for staying with Jesus are really awful ones.

Amen, Brother! Glory!

Plus me.

The Christians here make me laugh, because some of the things they say are absurd and funny, and cringe, because I used to be like them.

Indeed.

Like Chef already said, some few reconverted over the years,but as I see it, residual brainwashing was much more of a factor here than the same old, same old from the morontheists. With some people they merely hit the right triggers at the right time, purely by chance.

While it probably has zero impact, I'd have to say IF it has any impact whatsoever, I'd say the xians' input provides further evidence that deconversion was a GOOD thing.

Exactly. Though, I didn't join this site until I was actually far enough along that I wouldn't re-convert. I've got some issues that need to be worked out (don't we all?), but going back is a step in the wrong direction, for me.

I was actually wondering this, myself. It is quite fun reading the arguments of these proto-apologists and being reminded continually that the best arguments for staying with Jesus are really awful ones.

Well, that's the only "arguments" they have. :fdevil:

As for why they keep trying, I'd guess for some it's pure desperation, for others it's clinging to the babblical claim that the only reason for people not being in their cult is that they never heard the bullshit gospel. Thinking about that, I admit that's desperation too, just of another shade. "But the good book™ says that they will believe after having heard the gospel! I just need to shove it down their throats one more time, this time it will work! This time it must work!"

Unless a person is extremly shallow and lacks the skill of introspection, I'd be willing to bet that once the doubts start there is no going back.

It takes some people time to work through the questions, but questions can only be shelved for so long before they eat at one's psychi. Thus, those who do go back to church and belief probably won't be back there perminently.

For me, and I think most others who have deconverted, faith is just not an option. When I lost mine, I cried, prayed, and struggled to get it back. But once the man behind the curtain is reveiled, there is no forgetting that he is there and it's just a matter of time before every last vestige of faith crumbles like the illusion that it is.

This is why I don't fear for the new members as their former brethren come back here to herd them back into the fold. Even if the self-appointed do gooders are successful, the seed of doubt has been planted and once the emotional arguments used to entice them back lose their shine those same old doubts will come back in force.

I thought, after just a few weeks as a member here, of going back to a position of belief. Not actually going back to belief, just to a formal, public position of agreement with the basic tenets of the 'faith'. All this was because I just wanted some peace and quiet in my head and in my home as all the questions swirled around, like:

Where will we go if we don't go to church?

What will family/friends say?

What if we don't tell anyone and they figure it out anyway?

and so on. Fact is, I was motivated at the very first to de-convert from CHURCH rather than christianity itself, precisely because, as chef said, I was hurt badly by christians. I had, however, already deconverted from belief intellectually if not emotionally. It just took time to sort out all the noise surrounding the truth.

I've only been on this site since sept. of last year, was de-coverted many years prior though. I have noticed, in this short time, one (I think) that backslide, but noticed several deconvert.

The score tally would be high in favor of the deconverts, at least in my brief observation. It might also be higher then it appears. Some (imo) come here to "test" their faith, and testing comes from doubting. The hit an run xtians are hard to assess. I would wager some of them deconverted, but "went away" because so many people have this little thing called "ego" that prevents them from openly admitting they were wrong. Some return, I would (again, guessing...) guess, as a different username entirely.

Strange the flavor of people a site like this attracts. Full blown atheists looking for "peers", agnostics, and borderline atheist/agnostic (that was me, but since then shed the "agnostic and borderline part"), also looking for peers, and people who relate.

This site, I gather from webmaster dave, kevin and the other mods, is actually a "support" site for ex-christians. Though being ex many years, not really "feeling" a need for a support site, I guess I did in a way and did not realize it. I felt so *free* and able to be myself without fear of judgment for who I am. So much so, I think the first month or two I made a gazillion posts, vented alot, challenged fundies in the den, etc etc. Even those such as myself, who spent many years as a non-believer, find reason to call this place home.

In direct answer to the OP, though some step "fearfully" into deconversion, and like the alcoholic, slip back now and then, that's more the exception to the rule. To Dave's credit, more then "just" this community is helpful. The front page is filled with helpful articles, and I notice that both Dave and Kevin keep the "news flow" and "current events" going on the front page. The articles, and the videos presented, act as great re-enforcements to the exes that need it.

Also, they seem to now be advertising more, adwords and such. Plus I notice they are adding non-intrusive advertising to the page at the top. Though I hate advertising, I am very thankful that they have decided to make some ROI with this site, they deserve it for a job well down, and "personally" I recommend NOT ad blocking it. I would also encourage sharing links to here wherever you can. I believe *very* strongly in supporting those, and that, which does a great *good* to the world, and this is one of the rare sites on the web that actually does a great benefit to society, and it should rightly flourish.

:party:

If anything, christian's arguments just make the religion look dumber and dumber to me. As I find better arguments against christianity, they get more desperate. It doesn't matter what you present them with; they will flat out deny there's a problem. It's the same old bullshit over and over, and it never changes. Why do they do it? I think some of them are bothered by the fact that people disagree with their beliefs, and they are desperate to squash those ideas. Other people probably feel like they are doing "god's work" by posting moronic arguments in his favor.

Oh, and while I don't know anyone here who has reconverted, on another site, whenever I see someone go back to christianity, they never say anything like, "oh, wow, I found evidence that I hadn't seen before," or "oh, I finally get how that makes sense!" It's always something like, "Life is miserable without god," or "insert silly coincidence here that gives me an excuse to pretend in jeebus again." It's never for intellectual reasons, and always out of desperation.

I reconverted back once and stayed in church for about two years before finally deconverting for good. The reason i reconverted was not because anything any of the christians on here said (for they have nothing of any value except for humor's sake), but because of my own doubts and worries. I guess we all pretty much go through that at some point, especially in the early stages of deconversion.