Goodbye Jesus

Is Self Sacrifice Exclusive To Christianity?

MonolithTMA

I read the most recent blog post from my ex-pastor and it struck me that one of the things that has always bothered me is that all good, selfless acts are seen by Christians as exclusive to Christianity.

An excerpt:

The Roar Of Love - There is no explanation

I was reading in our church devotional this morning about the life and death of William Borden. William was a young Yale graduate and the heir to the Borden family fortune. He forfeited it all to move to Egypt as a missionary. After only four months there, he became ill and died. If you travel to Cairo today and search diligently, you can find his grave. The inscription on his tombstone concludes with a summary of the seemingly "crazy" choice he made: Apart from faith in Christ, there is no explanation for such a life.

Now don't get me wrong, I really like and respect this pastor he's a wonderful man, father etc. We obviously don't agree on spiritual matters, but he's a really cool guy and I still enjoy his sermons even if I don't agree with his conclusions.

Certainly in the case of William Borden he did do what he did because of Christ, but I think belief in Christ is hardly the only thing that makes someone live selflessly.

Any thoughts?

He's talking rubbish...

Well this is non-sense:

The choices that William Borden made with his life make no sense if you are not a follower of Jesus. In fact, many Christians find it challenging to understand such choices.

How's this? The choice that Mohammad Atta made to sacrifice his life in an airplane flown into the World Trade Center makes no sense if you are not a follower of Jesus.

Some young man volunteering to serve his country in the military and lay his life down defending it, makes no sense if you're not a follower of Jesus.

A firefighter going into a burning building to save someone, makes no sense if you're not a follower of Jesus.

Do these people think before they speak?

That's my thinking too. Just because someone does something that may or may not appear profound, that doesn't mean that a deity inspired them, and it certainly isn't proof. His argument seems to be a softer version of "If you're not a TRUE Christian, you won't understand."

Do these people think before they speak?

No... they don't...

His argument seems to be a softer version of "If you're not a TRUE Christian, you won't understand."

and softer in the sense that steel is 'softer' than carborundum...

Guest WarrantedPVC

Well one thing we need to remember is that he went to be a *missionary* (I presume a Christian one). Any non-Christian person would never do that so naturally he had to be Christian to give up everything in his life to become a missionary...

I think the explanation is simply that people will do much (even give up their lives) for causes they value - spreading a religion, saving lives, etc. In some instances this is a noble thing, in other instances it is not. But just because people do much for a cause doesn't make it a noble cause.

By and large, there is nothing 'noble' about missionary work... it's usually cultural genocide...

There are some things that I would give my life for... my wife, some of my friends, my niece...hell, I love working with teenagers, and I would give my life to save them (not in the christian sense, TRUST me! lol) too at times...but, that doesn't show anything special about my belief system. It is about caring for things and devoting your all to them...nothing to do with the invisible man in the sky.