Goodbye Jesus

"the New Puritans Have Been Highly Sucessful..."

nivek

"The new puritans have been highly successful. All of the preconditions for new prohibitions on alcohol and tobacco are in place. ... Indeed, the future agenda of the federal government has already been established to outlaw alcohol and tobacco in the near future. ... If current trends persist, America will be moving toward stricter prohibitions, greater restrictions, and more centralized control over consumption. This represents an erosion of liberty at its most fundamental level."

-- Mark Thornton

Source: "The Fall and Rise of Puritanical Policy in America", Journal of Libertarian Studies, Vol. 12, No. 1 (Spring 1996), p. 159

http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_blog/M...nton.Quote.6569

kFL

I was just reading up on the Puritan beliefs, and boy, are they a stagnating bunch. I think Massachusetts liberalism (think Teddy Kennedy) is still a direct reaction to the Puritans being in charge back in the days when it was just a colony.

Puritans were the 'Jim Jones' of their time. Puritans had a law to kill Quakers anywhere in the colonies on sight. They did burn one at the stake in upper New England. The Puritans were such a weird bunch they were kicked out of Europe before settling in England and then they pissed off the locals so badly they had to pack up and move to the New World. Once here they set about killing members that left the colony and settled on their own or moved in with the natives. Puritans really are not the warm and fuzzy bunch the modern religious funny-mentals make them out to be. These are the bunch xtians want to use for role models in support of a xtian nation under god.

It wasn't the Puritans that established America. It was a bunch of highly educated and intelligent men that drew up the Constitution, not a group of babble-thumping reformists and religious loons!

It wasn't the Puritans that established America. It was a bunch of highly educated and intelligent men that drew up the Constitution, not a group of babble-thumping reformists and religious loons!

Unfortunately, their stain is all across our history books and there are people who will fight against anybody who tries to bleach out the stain. With the way technology is and how information is disbursed, I don't see this "Christian Nation" crowd taking a break anytime soon.

I was just reading up on the Puritan beliefs, and boy, are they a stagnating bunch. I think Massachusetts liberalism (think Teddy Kennedy) is still a direct reaction to the Puritans being in charge back in the days when it was just a colony.

Actually, it was because the Puritan's 4th or 5th generation descendants became quite wealthy. The "Protestant Ethic" that Max Weber talks about. Worldy riches - which the previous generations had accumulated by being joyless pennypinchers who desperately chased after business success in order to have evidence that they weren't going to hell - have a way of taking the edge off, y'know? They decided to shy away from the harsh, miserable asceticism of their forefathers, in favor of good old bourgeois decadence.