Goodbye Jesus

I allowed my son to watch Harry Potter!

Guest SerenityNow

Hey, are you agreeing with my son?  LOL

I just can see the event in my head, and it's such a cute and funny situation.

And absolutely, Dinos are supposed to be played rough and eating eachother. There's no middle ground there!

Or did you mean that your boy started to fight your girl, well that wasn't so nice...

But dinos fight each other, definitely. Evilution+Cretinism has proven that.

It was cute and funny, my husband and I were dieing of laughter.  Yes, he was trying to teach her that you do not play nice with Dinosaurs.  LOL  Aren't children the greatest? :-)  This is the good life, for sure.  If there is an eternity, I hope to be able to spend each and every day with them, my wonderful husband and my good friends at ExC.

I don't know if it's that great. My kids have my stupid and goofy humor as me, and giving freely away all these puns all the time... IT'S KILLING ME! SAVE ME!!! :lmao:

WEll, I ripped my own cartoons when I were a fucking Christian (No Graven images), now I'm on a creative binge since I deconverted. So many satires, art, cartoons, etc I has made. Thank Darwin that I got my creativity back.

I love this life. Wouldn't dare to be christian again. That were horrible for me.

My fundamentalist brothers and their families don't allow Harry Potter because of the witchcraft. However, other stories involving magic seem to be ok - it's not consistent but seems to be a group thing - whatever the Southern Baptist leadership harps on gets banned. Other things that seem identical to me get a pass.

I think it's because Harry Potter uses magic from Pagan myths and uses "Pagan" style terminology, and the stories that are approved of have "miracles" (i.e. Christian magic).

Also, one older Christian lady who went to my parents' church told me that she had read Harry Potter and didn't like it because it taught children to be independent and self-reliant and to question their parents.

Silly me, but I thought this was a good thing? I guess the kids must remain brainwashed and dependent on their parents & church forever then, huh? Argh. I hate it when fundies don't approve of books because they teach kids how to use their brains and think for themselves.

I think it's because Harry Potter uses magic from Pagan myths and uses "Pagan" style terminology, and the stories that are approved of have "miracles" (i.e. Christian magic).

So they claim. But the spells in Harry Potter are based on nothing except JK Rowling's imagination, and the magic words they use are nothing but first year Latin.

If I'm not mistaken, did the whole "Harry Potter is evil!" thing get started with a satire from The Onion or something like that, and then the superstitious people just took off with it? :shrug:

I guess it doesn't really matter. After all, the hype made it all the way to the new pope, and therefore he condemns Harry Potter also. :Wendywhatever:

Harry Potter and the Vatican enforcer

By Jack Malvern

July 14, 2005

Pope condemned ‘subtle seduction’ of tales of wizardry

HARRY POTTER has come under attack from soul-sucking dementors and basilisks, but he faces his most formidable adversary yet in the form of the Pope.

A letter written by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, before he was elected Pope in April, condemns the boy wizard as a potentially corrupting influence on children.

The Cardinal, then the late Pope John Paul II’s “enforcer” as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, revealed his views in a letter to the author of Harry Potter — Good or Evil?, a book published in Germany. The Cardinal appeared to sympathise with Gabriele Kuby’s thesis that Harry Potter corrupts the young, distorting their understanding of the battle between good and evil. “It is good that you enlighten people about Harry Potter because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul before it can grow properly,” he wrote.

The Cardinal, who had been sent the book by Kuby, encouraged the writer to send her work to another member of the Church who had made an announcement on behalf of the Vatican praising J. K. Rowling’s books. Mgr Peter Fleetwood, a British priest who helped to draft an official document on New Age phenomena in 2003, said that the Harry Potter books were moral stories that taught children about the importance of making sacrifices to overcome evil.

“I don’t think that any of us grew up without the imaginary world of fairies, magicians, angels and witches,” he told a conference at the Vatican. “They are not bad or a banner for anti-Christian ideology.” Rowling, he said, was Christian by conviction and in the way she wrote.

Austen Ivereigh, a spokesman for Cardinal Cormac Murphy O’ Connor, the Archbishop of Westminster, said that the Pope’s comments were strongly worded but that Catholics were not bound by them.

“This was evidently Cardinal Ratzinger’s view when he wrote that letter,” he said. “As Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith he never issued an authoritative document on the subject so there is no question of Catholics . . . needing to take a single view. Personally I think they are a great read.” Harry Potter has a history of upsetting Christians. A pastor in New Mexico included the stories in a book-burning ceremony. Jack Brock, a priest from the Christ Community Church, said: “God says in Deuteronomy that witchcraft is an abomination. Whatever God hates, I hate.”

Original Article

Having been a devout fan of Tolkien's "Middle Earth" for many, many ages (since the age of six, to be precise) I always find it quite amazing that fundamentalist Christians would go anywhere near the thing. Tolkien's intention in creating "Middle Earth" was to establish for Britain a semblance of the Ancient Mythologies it once had but had been eradicated thanks to Christian invaders. As such, if you read the "historical" texts such as The Silmarillion (which details the history of Middle Earth from its very creation to the events in The Lord of the Rings) you find that, although there are elements of Tolkien's Catholic perspectives, they are by far overshadowed by the elements of Ancient Celtic (pagan) and Ancient Nordic (pagan) and Ancient Greek (pagan) mythologies he managed to cram in. Middle Earth for example is polytheistic; it was created by a number of spirit-entities called The Valar, who in turn were created by a singular being known as Iluvatar. Sauron was a servant of the original Dark Lord, who was one of the Valar who rebelled against the others and intended to establish his dominion over all things. Interestingly, if you read the Silmarillion, you discover that Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron and the Balrog are all the same species of creature; they are are "Maiar"; lesser spirits and entities whose physical shape and nature is determined once they arrive on the "physical" shores of Middle Earth.