Goodbye Jesus

I feel insecure about my atheist beliefs

bluewizard

I can't help it, I've been brainwashed by Christianity and still have some of its dogma in my head and when someone asks me if I want to become a Christian I feel like I'll regret not becoming one. Like I've been thinking about joining the Church of Satan and something in my mind says they are blasphemous. I don't know what's wrong. I need help. I know religion's fake and not true but I've been brainwashed. Help please?

I can't help it, I've been brainwashed by Christianity and still have some of its dogma in my head and when someone asks me if I want to become a Christian I feel like I'll regret not becoming one.  Like I've been thinking about joining the Church of Satan and something in my mind says they are blasphemous.  I don't know what's wrong.  I need help.  I know religion's fake and not true but I've been brainwashed.  Help please?

In my opinion, it's not enough to be an atheist. Being an atheist is about being against something (or at least about not being something).

It helped me to focus on what I am in place of being a christian. In other words, where do my moral values come from, what is my "purpose" in life, what communities do I belong to since I no longer have a church "family".

It also helped me to spend time researching the origins of religion in general, christianity and the bible, and to get a better understanding of science and the scientific method.

Focusing on these aspects might help give you the confidence you need to set aside christianity for good.

Good luck.

I can't help it, I've been brainwashed by Christianity and still have some of its dogma in my head and when someone asks me if I want to become a Christian I feel like I'll regret not becoming one.  Like I've been thinking about joining the Church of Satan and something in my mind says they are blasphemous.  I don't know what's wrong.  I need help.  I know religion's fake and not true but I've been brainwashed.  Help please?

That's the reason why I'm rather an Agnostic in my approach to faith.

I'm currently leaning towards Atheism, but I don't deny the possibility of a higher order of divine entities, it's just that we can't really know or prove who's right.

If you feel like that, you should consider becoming a Deist instead, since there is no reason whatsoever to accept the Bible to be the true word from God. Or maybe you should just be a spiritual naturalist, believe in the force of life that permeates every thing around you. You might find that you become more accepting to other people, animals and nature this way, and feel united with everything.

(edit)

And this way you can accept selected dogma from the Bible or any other religion you like, and compile your own little faith that you adhere to.

That's the reason why I'm rather an Agnostic in my approach to faith.

I'm currently leaning towards Atheism, but I don't deny the possibility of a higher order of divine entities, it's just that we can't really know or prove who's right.

If you feel like that, you should consider becoming a Deist instead, since there is no reason whatsoever to accept the Bible to be the true word from God. Or maybe you should just be a spiritual naturalist, believe in the force of life that permeates every thing around you. You might find that you become more accepting to other people, animals and nature this way, and feel united with everything.

(edit)

And this way you can accept selected dogma from the Bible or any other religion you like, and compile your own little faith that you adhere to.

No, that's not the problem, I just need Christianity out of my head so I can feel at peace. I don't believe in a higher power or that there is 1. when will it leave my head? I wish it would leave soon.

No, that's not the problem, I just need Christianity out of my head so I can feel at peace.  I don't believe in a higher power or that there is 1.  when will it leave my head?  I wish it would leave soon.

When did you de-convert?

bw...

I live my life as a "Pannist", as in "whatever pans out, happened".

Not too concerned with life in every single little detail, and then in turn as things *should happen if I do thus and this*...

Being able to make plans is always a good thing. I have a few goals, mostly centered around the women in my life and our son.. Other than that shit, good and bad, happens.

Best advise I may tender is that you'll learn to relax and live with what life deals you, and not worry about trying to beg some unseen skIe dADDiE for your goodies_in_life.

Enjoy leaning to be off the religious teat, needing a continual transfusion of jebuZZ JunK to ensure your habit is filled is no long needed.

It is a detoxification process, as you get clean of the bullshit you've been fed these past years life does indeed get better..

k, Freeman, L

When did you de-convert?

In February of this year.

TF has some very good advice.

I keep my mind focused in questioning, and then debunking the lies I was told over and over.

Study other religions (it's a fun pastime, at least to me) and you will soon see there is nothing new under the sun, what so ever different in Christianity. Once you start seeing how Religion is used as a tool to control people, you'll be able to become emotionally detected from it.

That being said, I understand a lot of where you're coming from. Fear is Extremely hard to unlearn, I'm still trying to unlearn it. The "What if's" and might be's can eat you alive if you let them. Your mind as been conditioned to believe with out thinking, the base of this is thru Fear, it's sort of a habit that we need to break. anxiety also runs high when you break outside of your conditioning, it's normal.

I've never been more free since I broke from Xtianity. At the same time, fear of abandonment, (Rapture) tortured (hell) (Paranoia that the devil is behind every corner) being a people pleaser (God will never love you enough unless you give give give give give, pray give pray, save some souls) are all things I have been conditioned to be and believe, so the Fear part is the emotional part which is still a part of me even though I know these things aren't true, These things I'm conscious about, but still effect me greatly. and also stems why I have panic disorder, which I'm dealing with daily.

If you didnt' study the origins of christianity while deconverting,you should do so now.

Why? Because it makes it impossible to return, once you see what a crock it is and how it got created from the start. I'm believing there was no Jesus, so i have nothing to return to.

This site has many links here and there toward this. Lots findable through google too.

Of course, if you've already done that, then in Gilda Radners famous words, "nevermind".

In February of this year.

Oh, then you will have a time of detox. It will start settle down fairly soon.

"I look into the future, and see you will be set free before the end of this year."

Hehe...

Well, honestly, it took some time to figure things out. You're still in the phase of moving from emotional arguments into rational arguments for your existence. Your mind has been primed and conditioned to believe things that "feels" right, and now you are retraining your brain to believe things that have logical reasons.

Lucky you to have people to talk to here on this site. I was pretty much alone, and didn't even know other christians had de-converted.

I thought I was unique and completely alone, until much later!

No, that's not the problem, I just need Christianity out of my head so I can feel at peace.  I don't believe in a higher power or that there is 1.  when will it leave my head?  I wish it would leave soon.

BW, I felt like you for a long time after deconverting. It took me a while (3-5 years) to get fear of hell out of my head. What finally did it for me was a path of study, which eventually shed christianity in such a silly light that it no longer held any power over me. If I recall correctly you are still young. With understanding and knowledge light will be shed on the dark places where fear hides. I don't say this to be patronizing, but hopefully to encourage you.

BW, I felt like you for a long time after deconverting.  It took me a while (3-5 years) to get fear of hell out of my head.  What finally did it for me was a path of study, which eventually shed christianity in such a silly light that it no longer held any power over me.  If I recall correctly you are still young.  With understanding and knowledge light will be shed on the dark places where fear hides.  I don't say this to be patronizing, but hopefully to encourage you.

Ouch, really that long!

I was lucky then. It took me about a year only. Poor fella to sustain it for 3 years.

Ouch, really that long!

I was lucky then. It took me about a year only. Poor fella to sustain it for 3 years.

I guess since I was inundated with it for the first 25 years of my life and since every family member bar my grandfather is/was a die hard fundy it just took some time to diffuse out from my pores.

I guess since I was inundated with it for the first 25 years of my life and since every family member bar my grandfather is/was a die hard fundy it just took some time to diffuse out from my pores.

I was Christian for 30 years (and plus), and my whole family is Christian, some even fundies. (I was a fundie)

But I had the advantage to live on the other side of the Atlantic ocean, so they never influenced me to hold on. Maybe that's why...

I was Christian for 30 years (and plus), and my whole family is Christian, some even fundies. (I was a fundie)

But I had the advantage to live on the other side of the Atlantic ocean, so they never influenced me to hold on. Maybe that's why...

Plus you are probably less stubborn and have a higher IQ. It would have been nice to have this website available back in '93 though.

If you didnt' study the origins of christianity while deconverting,you should do so now.

Why? Because it makes it impossible to return, once you see what a crock it is and how it got created from the start. I'm believing there was no Jesus, so i have nothing to return to.

This site has many links here and there toward this. Lots findable through google too.

I agree completely with Bongo on this one. I became a christian at the age of 22. I'm now 49. There were lots of times during those years when I kind of said "fuck this". But during those times I always kind of assumed that christianity was true, and it was me that was messed up. I was always haunted.

Only after I started learning about how christianity got it's dubious start, did it's hold on me start to fade. I'm convinced now that it is the greatest fraud ever put on mankind. I've only been really x'd out for a few months, but I can honestly say that I'm not bugged at all anymore by thoughts of God or Jesus or Hell.

Blue: just google something like "Christ Myth" and start to read. Or, even read the articles on the Ex-C homepage. Some of the atheists 100 years ago had christianity nailed. Try reading some of the articles by Robert Green Ingersoll (homepage Ex-C)

Good luck blue. Hope you can conquer the demon of religion.

TF has some very good advice.

I keep my mind focused in questioning, and then debunking the lies I was told over and over. 

Study other religions (it's a fun pastime, at least to me) and you will soon see there is nothing new under the sun,  what so ever different in Christianity.  Once you start seeing how Religion is used as a tool to control people, you'll be able to become emotionally detected from it.

Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth.

That site is an excellent start on your journey, bluewizard.

Detox takes time Bluewizard.

Don't get down on yourself for it. If you are thinking obsessively about christian things this is the time to really start studying.

And don't fret about finding yourself still saying things like "Thank god" or "God damn it!"

Those aren't concessions to atheism. They are the accepted foul language of our culture.

Don't stress it.

But why does 80 percent of the population believe in God? And isn't this Pagan Christianity stuff just propaganda or not? When do you think Christianity will be proven incorrect?

But why does 80 percent of the population believe in God?  And isn't this Pagan Christianity stuff just propaganda or not?  When do you think Christianity will be proven incorrect?

There are many reasons people believe in gods (80% of the population don't believe in the same god - that should be one clue!). I would guess that most people believe in god because that's what the authority figures in their lives told them to believe and they've never seriously questioned it.

Think back thru history at all the mistaken beliefs held by the vast majority of people (flat earth, sun revolves around the earth, etc). Truth is not a popularity contest - just because a lot of people believe something it's not necessarily true.

Most of us on this site believe that christianity has already been proven incorrect. It's actually something that you'll have to discover for yourself, and I'd suggest that the best way to do that is to study the history of christianity with an open mind.

But why does 80 percent of the population believe in God?

TFT hit this nail on the head.

And isn't this Pagan Christianity stuff just propaganda or not?

Most certainly not. The web link is above... take a look. You'd be suprised what they have dug up.

When do you think Christianity will be proven incorrect?

That's like asking when Evolution will be 'proven' correct. If you are asking if it is reasonable to believe that it's false... absolutly. There isn't any way it can be logically true. The lies are simply too numerous and too prominent.

However, Christianity doesn't work on Reason. It works on Fear and intimidation... which is exactly why you are finding it so hard to shed your fear of hell, because they planted that fear deeply and tended to it well. It's roots are deep and thick... you're going to be pulling it out for a while.

We can't make that root go away magically... what we can do is give you better tools so you're not yanking on a root with your bare hands... we can give you gloves and a shovel. But you still have to do the digging yourself.

Merlin

Plus you are probably less stubborn and have a higher IQ.  It would have been nice to have this website available back in '93 though.

Oh, I can be stubborn as hell. But life has changed me... and my wife... I mean, my wife has changed me :grin:

Higher IQ! :lmao: Don't think so!

Here's a good thing Einstein said (ad lib quote)

"It's not that I'm smarter or more intelligent than other people, I just spend more time thinking about things."

That's me.

Christianity was proven incorrect almost 2000 years ago. Jesus said he would return before the current generation had passed away. He didn't.

Look at it this way bluegiant;

do you fear the fact that you were never born into Ancient Greece and so could therefore never adhere to what the Ancient Greeks believed? If no, then you have no need to worry concerning your none-adherence to Christianity, which in itself is no more or less than this.

But why does 80 percent of the population believe in God? And isn't this Pagan Christianity stuff just propaganda or not? When do you think Christianity will be proven incorrect?

Most of them were raised into it. And yes, it is propaganda, and it's already been proven incorrect by science, but people just ignore it and believe what they want to.

However, Christianity doesn't work on Reason. It works on Fear and intimidation... which is exactly why you are finding it so hard to shed your fear of hell, because they planted that fear deeply and tended to it well. It's roots are deep and thick... you're going to be pulling it out for a while.

Exactly. What helped me was research into other religions. There's a book called "The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You To Read" that goes quite a bit into how Christianity evolved from Paganism. You should be able to find it on Amazon.com. It has a red cover, I think. It's a good start.