Goodbye Jesus

Someday I'm going to make a scene

Bongo

It is just becoming impossible to sit through it.

You see, my wife is fundy and hasn't a clue about me, so that's why I still attend. Well, probably a clue, as she reminds me from time to time that the Man should be the spiritual leader of th house--as in, i should be doing more. ( The most I ever do is regurgitate the stupid dinner prayer. "Blah blah blah blah, f'ing blah blah blah" is what I should say someday. )

Anyway, back to sunday school prior to church.

One of the teachers is a nerd that escaped from High School about 20 years ago. From time to time we hear these tales of his younger days. They make me wince. He recalls for us stories about his big leather jacket that had "Jesus Saves" or something like that on it. He was proud of it. etc. He once followed a guy into the bathroom to witness to him. Wince. I mean, nobody wants to be witnessed to during a crap. But this teacher is totally oblivious to his nerdness. And the class just wears the happy happy smile in their clean sunday clothes. Puke me.

But it's the holy teachings that are cummulatively enraging me. And I hate like hell when words they use actually manage to "convict" me-- ie, cause a red face on myself when pron is mentioned. (Guilty! ) Stupid red-face reaction....grr..

The idiots in class. I recall one time there were these two happy happy gentlemen, each contempably cheery on their own, but on this day they were bubbling over in conversation, rapidly finishing eachothers sentences like they were in love, while their wives sat by smiling, glowing with pride at their spiritual trophies.

And the platitudes that I'm subjected to. Oy vey! My wife is the worst. She is incapable of an original thought. Here goes her hand now--she's called on--oh yes, another cliche--how unexpected.

er, am I in the rants section? Hope so, because I've been doing it!

Cheers folks.

Bongo

Bongo

I honestly don’t know how to respond except to tell you that I laughed all through reading your post. I suppose you are dealing with the situation the best way possible. I don’t know how you keep a straight face at church.

IBF

It looks like it's going to be a blast having you here Bongo.

So welcome to the site. We're so X-site-ed! :)

You see, my wife is fundy and hasn't a clue about me, so that's why I still attend. Well, probably a clue, as she reminds me from time to time that the Man should be the spiritual leader of th house--as in, i should be doing more. ( The most I ever do is regurgitate the stupid dinner prayer.  "Blah blah blah blah, f'ing blah blah blah" is what I should say someday. )

So if you are the spiritual leader, then maybe you should lead your family to apostacy, like a true leader ... oh, of course that wouldn't count, would it?... no the "true spiritual leader" of course equates to "the good immitator of the pastor repeating the sermon from last sunday to your kids and wife" husband. :jesus:

One of the teachers is a nerd that escaped from High School about 20 years ago. From time to time we hear these tales of his younger days. They make me wince. He recalls for us stories about his big leather jacket that had "Jesus Saves" or something like that on it. He was proud of it. etc. He once followed a guy into the bathroom to witness to him. Wince. I mean, nobody wants to be witnessed to during a crap. But this teacher is totally oblivious to his nerdness. And the class just wears the happy happy smile in their clean sunday clothes. Puke me.

:lmao: When they sit on the loo, you can hear the screams "Oh Gooood! Jesuus Saave MMMMmmmheeeeh... aaaah..." :toilet:

But it's the holy teachings that are cummulatively enraging me. And I hate like hell when words they use actually manage to "convict" me-- ie, cause a red face on myself when pron is mentioned. (Guilty! ) Stupid red-face reaction....grr..

Is this still in the bathroom? :lmao:

The idiots in class. I recall one time there were these two happy happy gentlemen, each contempably cheery on their own, but on this day they were bubbling over in conversation, rapidly finishing eachothers sentences like they were in love, while their wives sat by smiling, glowing with pride at their spiritual trophies.

And they still claim they're not gay...

Cheers folks.

Bongo

Cheers back at ya'! :68::beer:

Hey Bongo,

Oh my. Absolutely loved you post! But your situation would drive me insane. You're very loyal to your wife to endure this.

The only time I step into a church is w/ my parents...god the cliches, prayers and sermons are so codified. I can usually predict what they'll say next.

Blech.

Hey Han, way too funny about the two guys in the class...sounds like PromiseKeeper material to me. :ugh:

Hey Bongo,

Oh my.  Absolutely loved you post!  But your situation would drive me insane.  You're very loyal to your wife to endure this. 

The only time I step into a church is w/ my parents...god the cliches, prayers and sermons are so codified.  I can usually predict what they'll say next.

Blech.

Hey Han, way too funny about the two guys in the class...sounds like PromiseKeeper material to me. :ugh:

Burrrh! And I used to attend things like this...

We need to start our own IPU Church. Raise capital, and build an ugly building (pink of course) and with a huge spire, just like regular churches. (isn't that funny though, why does churches have these towers? It doesn't say anywhere in the Bible to have it.)

Welcome to the forums Bongo! Honestly, you sound a bit passive-agressive. Rather than waiting until you explode with rage, why not just sit down with your wife and tell her what's going on? While you still have a rational mind, you can breach the subject in subdued terms like "I'm having a serious crisis of faith" rather than waiting until you explode with "you stupid idiot! how can you believe this shit!?"

I've had to go through the same thing. Even though my wife knows I lost faith a couple of years ago, we still have the "the Bible says the man is supposed to be the spiritual leader" talk. I just reply, "do you really want me to convince you and the kids to give up your faith?" That tends to put it back into perspective.

If your wife will not accept you as you are, and you are not willing to change, it's probably time to move on. The only way to find out is to be honest with her.

Bongo

I honestly don’t know how to respond except to tell you that I laughed all through reading your post. I suppose you are dealing with the situation the best way possible. I don’t know how you keep a straight face at church.

IBF

ibf, you aren't the only one who read bongo's confessions of his feelings toward church and people who follow every word of the sunday school teacher, with excessive humor.

bongo, welcome to the site. i must say, i enjoyed the honesty in your posts. since, i am not married i don't know how you tell your wife you don't follow the teachings anymore. i do concur that it is a bottomless feeling to sit through the horrible teachings of the church when you don't follow the idioticness anymore. best to you and yours. let us know how it went.

But this teacher is totally oblivious to his nerdness. And the class just wears the happy happy smile in their clean sunday clothes. Puke me

Hey, some of us here are nerds. (Though I don't think I was ever that nerdy, nor would I have ever witnessed to anyone in a bathroom, even in my fundiest Lutheran moment. Although I suspect that my fundy cubical mate at work would have.) But I do like science fiction and I am good with computers.

;)

Hey, some of us here are nerds.  (Though I don't think I was ever that nerdy, nor would I have ever witnessed to anyone in a bathroom, even in my fundiest Lutheran moment.  Although I suspect that my fundy cubical mate at work would have.)  But I do like science fiction and I am good with computers.

;)

Any nerd is a good nerd, as long as he doesn't witness in the bathroom.

Greetings Bongo!

If you make a point by walking out of Sunday school, make it hit real hard - think of a good slogan in advance. "Hail Satan!" might be a bit blunt, but something that hurts. :pureevil:

But then, of course, having a fundie wife somewhat complicates the matter... :blink:

:banghead:

Hmm, maybe yelling "Hail Satan" is a little too blunt. How about starting off with something easy like "Hail Harry Potter!" :lmao::magic:

Thanks all for your support on this. I didn't know how it would be received..

I was partly inspired by the Jesus picture on this site with the blah blah blah book. That cracks me up every time.

"Passive Aggressive" ? Yeah, there's some stress. But when I do observe it in a humorous way, it really helps. I've just written off sunday mornings as time lost with nothing I can do about it.

Someday I'll probably tell my wife a bit about what's going on. I feel that day is closer and closer. And I dont think it'll be an explosion. But until then, my plan is to hide it because I dont want to upset the marriage and the family. Once I say anything, you know, it can't be taken back.

By the way, nothing wrong with nerds. Just ones who are clueless (Obliviots) and at age 40 would actually think that wearing a rhinestone Jesus Saves jacket would be a effective witness.

I'm a nerd too. I love playing World of Warcraft. And speaking of that, have you all seen this:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0105/wow.html

It's hilarious. (I might have discovered that link while lurking here, so forgive me if it's already an often posted link.)

Actaully all of you are cracking me up on this... Hail Harry Potter indeed! ppfthhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahhaha :grin::HappyCry::grin: Bongo welcoem I am knida new too.

What if instead of storming out with Hail Satan, you just started mumbling it. hail.. hail.. Hail Satin er I mean Satan yeah that's it Satan.