Goodbye Jesus

If You're Going To Witness To Me...

Tabula Rasa

Greetings brethren, and sistren, it's been a while. Hope you've all been well.

As you all may recall I work in a bookstore. Today, I decided to pick up Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion. Well, before I went to ring up, I found a little religious card not only in the one I'd picked up off the sales table, but in the copy underneath. It was some catholic prayer card, the Anima Mundi prayer. I'd also found a couple in some copies of Hitchen's God is not Great Now I'm thinking this is awfully rude. Not only is it rude because it might weaken the resolve of any catholic readers who are doubting their faith, but it's just in bad taste because the one who placed the cards ,didn't have the guts to witness to the person they wanted to reach. Honestly, it's a bit cowardly.

Your thoughts?

Hi Tabula!

I may be as bad as those people. While waiting in the Doctors office I filled out cards that were for some kind of bible story books and put things like god is imaginary, god's not real, and bullshit on them and put them in the box. Also yesterday at the US post office I took down religious material that was on the bulletin board. I may be wrong doing stuff like that but whatever. I don't want to be a fundy atheist but I can't help myself sometimes.

Hi Tabula!

I may be as bad as those people. While waiting in the Doctors office I filled out cards that were for some kind of bible story books and put things like god is imaginary, god's not real, and bullshit on them and put them in the box. Also yesterday at the US post office I took down religious material that was on the bulletin board. I may be wrong doing stuff like that but whatever. I don't want to be a fundy atheist but I can't help myself sometimes.

Well I have to be honest that I was a wee bit hypocritical in my original post. What I neglected to mention is that when I found the cards, I made it a point to dispose of them. I'm finding I need to watch what I say a bit at work. I've had some religious discussions with some similar minded co-workers(atheists, agnostics, etc) but I really do need to watch what I say as I don't want to ruffle any feathers. Where I work is a fairly cool place, and I've been lucky that none of the employees or managers are fanatical bible thumpers who are always trying to share the Good News.

Besides The God Delusion I also picked up a copy of Common Sense by Thomas Paine, and The Book of the Damned collection by Charles Fort. I'm thinking I may try going on a marathon of reading all three of these back to back and see what kind of belief system I have afterwards.

(Dawkin's an atheist, Paine was a Deist, and Charles Fort...well Fort was an agnostic but supposed that reality is a lot weirder than we can imagine, if all the strange stories he culled from newspapers and science journals of the day, were any indication. After all that I might have quite a bit to ruminate on, and may read up on some Buddhism and greek philosphers to add some spice to the kettle.)

Long story that something to do with this thread, I guess...

I live in a town that is pretty dilapidated. The laundromat I used was known for having 1 or 2 functioning dryers and 3 functioning washers and that was on a good day. Every time I went there, the Jehovah's Witnesses would leave copies of "The Watchtower". So, I decided to leave my own little prayer card, an atheist track I found on an atheist website. I left about 10 copies there.

Funny thing is, the laundromat shut mere days later and is STILL in search of a buyer.

I still wonder if these two coincidental events are cosmically connected.

there is a paved walking trail through my little town, and every time I've went there i find some jack chick tracts rolled up in the and stuffed in the benches, its really sickening/sad that someone would actually think their doing their gods work by littering. i usually read them while i'm walking for a good laugh, then disposes of them in a proper trash receptacle, which is where they should have been put in the first place.

by the way thanks for the mention of book by Charles Fort. I've been looking for something to read, and i think I'll go try to find a copy, it sounds pretty interesting. let us know how your viewpoints turn out after reading that eclectic selection of books

there is a paved walking trail through my little town, and every time I've went there i find some jack chick tracts rolled up in the and stuffed in the benches, its really sickening/sad that someone would actually think their doing their gods work by littering.

Have you ever considered that "god" has placed the tracts there for the homeless to use as toilet paper? The LORD works in mysterious ways!

mwc

Your thoughts?

This has probably already been covered somewhere on exc.net, but has anyone actually ever been saved by receiving a tract?

(well, asssuming you can be saved because you were lost to start with)

I remember going to the Obama rally in Virginia Beach and some idiot was handing out "fake money" with a Bible track on it.

stupid, stupid, stupid...

eh...the fake money....I hate to admit this but I kinda gave some out like that once....It's embarrassing I know.

Well I have to be honest that I was a wee bit hypocritical in my original post. What I neglected to mention is that when I found the cards, I made it a point to dispose of them.

NONSENSE <I shouted while slapping my open hand loudly upon my tabletop>!!! It was not hypocritical to either remove the BS nor to omit that fact from your original post.

You were merely returning the books to their 'factory default' setting, as any good employee should. :sunny:

The minor fact that you saved someone else the effort of doing the same thing is just a happy coincidence! :thanks:

Honestly, it's a bit cowardly.

Your thoughts?

Cowardice is one important ingredient in the mixture of morontheism. Too chicken to accept responsibility for one's actions and decisions ("But gawd sez its ok!!!"), too chicken to face the world without someone constantly holding your hand (even if only imaginary), too chicken to try and face your critics when you propose anything (look at any babblical cretinist / IDiot for a prime example).

I'm not surprised. :Hmm:

If I understand you correctly you weren't (seriously) trying to win anyone over. You just expressed your opinion - and if someone would confront you regarding this opinion, somehow I'm sure you could bring up some damn good points to support it.

Compare to morontheists... :lmao:

(Okay, I admit this is one of the many cases in life where the borderline is probably quite blurred ;) )

I've been known to grab copies of books like "the Tarot Bible" and... put them in the Bible section. Not quite the same thing, but still amusing to me.

But then, I've also been known to move romance books to the fantasy section.

I've been known to grab copies of books like "the Tarot Bible" and... put them in the Bible section. Not quite the same thing, but still amusing to me.

But then, I've also been known to move romance books to the fantasy section.

don't forget to put all the "Christian science" in the sci-fi section.

don't forget to put all the "Christian science" in the sci-fi section.

That would be an insult to all of scifi.

The proper section for those books would be wherever books about the Apollo moon hoax, the government-orchestrated 911 inside job et al are.