Goodbye Jesus

"circles"

Guest WarrantedPVC

Guest WarrantedPVC

Taking a break from revision for my exams (two more to go! One on Wed and one on Fri; already had 5 of them...), I thought I'd exercise my artistic talents a bit and created my version of the "Get Saved" circles we so often see on evangelistic websites, on the basis of how I see myself as an ex-Christian...

PVC

post-3723-1212447168_thumb.png

Man, that ex-christian life seems like such a bummer.

Guest WarrantedPVC

Yeah, sometimes I wish I could still be a Christian again. *sigh*

But then I realize that I don't really want to be one. I prefer truth and I know Christianity isn't the truth. So that makes me feel content with my current worldview, even if not "happy" in the sense that Christianity made me happy.

Still, I drew that because I really hate it when Christians assume that the fact that Jesus is not "leading your life" automatically implies that you think you're the centre of the universe and "proud of" yourself, not caring about anyone else's interests, etc. I was trying to make the point that my deconversion crushed my self-esteem rather than elevated it.

PVC

Yeah, sometimes I wish I could still be a Christian again. *sigh*

But then I realize that I don't really want to be one. I prefer truth and I know Christianity isn't the truth. So that makes me feel content with my current worldview, even if not "happy" in the sense that Christianity made me happy.

It's often about whether you absolutely need happiness or can be content with truth, ain't it?

So damn often it appears to me like a nice part of morontheism is driven by fear of saying "I don't know" and by fooling yourself into believing "I know the answer to it all" just so that those nagging questions go away...

...in sharp contrast to that, the rational mind may not be fully content with the limits of its knowledge, but... well... what it does know it knows with a good degree of certainty.

Aaaaah, how pathetically weak those morontheists keep appearing to me...

Still, I drew that because I really hate it when Christians assume that the fact that Jesus is not "leading your life" automatically implies that you think you're the centre of the universe and "proud of" yourself, not caring about anyone else's interests, etc. I was trying to make the point that my deconversion crushed my self-esteem rather than elevated it.

I hear you :fdevil:

I guess after all those years I shouldn't feel amazed anymore when I encounter what I'll describe below, but it still gets to me every now and then... :)

Morontheist: "You just don't want to acknowledge that there might be a higher authority than you, that it's not all about you and your personal fun!!!111!!!!oneoneone!!!!!"

Me: "Listen up closely now moron. I'm not a morontheist but I'm not an atheist either. I do accept the existence of Divine forces as a given, they just don't happen to be the entities whose arse you kiss daily. And as for caring for others, how many years have you served as a volunteer medic, with no payment other than the occasional thankful glance from a patient?

For me, it was about 9 years in service for the German St. John's ambulance service. I served there even after my deconversion.

Your turn."

The morontheists' answer, of course, is always this:

<BEGIN answer>

<END>