Goodbye Jesus

Jesus is Lord!

Wendybabe

While driving on our vacation my wife and I were subjected to big bilboard size banners placed along side the freeway that said, 'JESUS IS LORD!" Now I thought about this. When I was a Christian I would have thought that this was on the same level as saying, "GOD LOVES YOU!" But now I see it much differently. How would you like it if you were driving along and were subjected to reading "Thor is Ruler of All!" or "Tiki Can Wuup Everyones Keesters!" What would you think to yourself?

A. "Gee I better read up on primitive Gods!"

B. "I though Zues could take Thor?"

C. "Tiki can kiss my keester!"

Honestly is this an appropriate way to spread your beliefs?

There is a redneck motor home here that says "JESUS IS COMMING!" and there are even some people that have crosses in their yard. I look at 'em all like they are nuts. I would get a good laugh out of seeing "I thought Zeus could take Thor" though! :lol:

Not really...

But why should that stop them forcing their beliefs into our faces? It's not like we don't do the same.

Oh, wait... we DON'T do the same, do we?

Try coming to Britain... they only use small billboards and they only have them on church grounds. (as far as I've seen, anyway)

While driving on our vacation my wife and I were subjected to big bilboard size banners placed along side the freeway that said, 'JESUS IS LORD!"  Now I thought about this. When I was a Christian I would have thought that this was on the same level as saying, "GOD LOVES YOU!"  But now I see it much differently. How would you like it if you were driving along and were subjected to reading "Thor is Ruler of All!" or "Tiki Can Wuup Everyones Keesters!"  What would you think to yourself? 

A. "Gee I better read up on primitive Gods!"

B. "I though Zues could take Thor?"

C.  "Tiki can kiss my keester!"

Maybe there is an appropriate way to spread your beliefs, but there are certainly beliefs that aren't appropriate to spread. hehe.

Get this,

Just yesterday my cousin and I were taking a hike through the woods. These paths are used by cross country skiiers in winter; hikers, bikers, joggers, and horse riders during the summer.

We'd worked up a good sweat, ended the lives of 50 or so mosquitos (while agreeing to buy some "Deep Woods OFF!" before we did it again), and were generally in a fine mood as we headed back to my car.

We'd seen 2 bikers and four other hikers the whole time. There were three other cars in the lot. We were practically alone. It was great.

As we emerged from the path, sweaty and happy, there was a guy standing at the trailhead.

He informed me that god loved me, and handed me a 2X2 square of paper with some verse or other on it, I didn't look, just said "Thanks" and brushed past him.

My cousin was a bit surprised I didn't say a good deal more to the guy. I told her it just wasn't worth it.

I mean, what if the guy was crazy? I wasn't sticking around to find out.

The point of my tale is that we were in a "nowhere" place, and one of these guys shows up to hand us stuff. Three cars in the parking lot (one likely his) and this goob decides it's a good spot to hand out mini-tracts?

One has to question the mental state of such a person. I sure as hell wasn't sticking around to do it.

Very true WR.

I met a preacher guy on the parkin lot some months ago.

He started saying: "I'm a pastor and a have a church and my breaks on my car is broken."

So my answer was, "So what, what do you want?"

And he kept on repeating it, and he seems loopy to me. Fortunately the bank manager came out and showed him off, since soliciting wasn't allowed on bank properties.

But anyway, he was a bit freaky, and I didn't like it a bit. But he couldn't spit out "Dude, can you be a cool person and give me a few bucks?", instead it was "I'm called by God to preach to you and I need money". Cheez! It was unfortunate we got interrupted because I wanted to tell him to ask God or his congregation for money, not me.

Maybe it is just me... but why do they do this? Do Christians honestly think that a billboard like that will convert people? Personaly I think all they do is remind Christians to be good buy-bull thumping morons who want to rule the world(That is my opinion, but if some of them blame Jews for the same thing why not?).

I have one near my house that says

Loved the wedding, invite me to the marriage.-God

This upsets me because it shows a total disrespect for other religions or those without a religion. Of course if you bring this up to a Christian it is always considered being convicted by the Holy Spook.

I have had my share of a few creepy preachers too, I generaly try not to make eye contact and back away slowly.

-Jake

No, I guess not. In that context, it hits me like a high school pep rally chant like "Wildcats Rule!" instead of a persuasive statement. I don't know if it's inappropriate as much as it is ineffective.

Excellent point, Rhodacat.

CC

Loved the wedding, invite me to the marriage.-God

"Honey, tell god to put on pants before wandering into the kitchen for a midnight snack......I almost went blind!"

I mean. be real. The only place god has in a decent marriage is as an honorable mention gasped, shrieked, or moaned one or more times a couple times a week.

No, I guess not.  In that context, it hits me like a high school pep rally chant like "Wildcats Rule!" instead of a persuasive statement.  I don't know if it's inappropriate as much as it is ineffective.

Excellent point, Rhodacat.

CC

According to the bible jesus is lord. These tactics are got from scripture are they not?

And no one does it better than jesus in the irrational and hypocrytical us against them attitude. Only through jesus can we get to god and all others who reject jesus reject god. GO TEAM!

"Honey, tell god to put on pants before wandering into the kitchen for a midnight snack......I almost went blind!"

I mean. be real. The only place god has in a decent marriage is as an honorable mention gasped, shrieked, or moaned one or more times a couple times a week.

Raping and impregnanting virgin jewish women don't count? Wonder what Jesus thought about being a bastard child whose mom was raped by a spirit?

According to the bible jesus is lord. These tactics are got from scripture are they not?

Hello Dogmatically Challenged--

I don't think that the *tactics* come from any common sense interpretation of scripture. But yes-- the idea that Jesus is Lord does.

To clarify-- I do agree with the billboard 's proclamation that Jesus is Lord, but I certainly wouldn't use it in that way.

CC

Hello Dogmatically Challenged--

I don't think that the *tactics* come from any common sense interpretation of scripture. But yes-- the idea that Jesus is Lord does.

To clarify-- I do agree with the billboard 's proclamation that Jesus is Lord, but I certainly wouldn't use it in that way.

CC

Thats what makes you a nice Christian. :grin:

But jesus is the mastermind of the only "true" god belief and unbelievers will be punnished and not corrected. Us against them. The precedent is set by jesus. Or his mouthpiece's in scripture.

More than anything else, such activities are evidence of a profound sense of insecurity on behalf of those committing them, since they feel obliged to reinforce their adherence to God at every waking second and in every aspect of their lives. Suggests perhaps that their much advertised "faith" is not quite so strong as they advertise, eh?

Guest Roamin' Lion

It is sort of like anyone else who posts a news article without comment. Okay, Jesus is Lord, next story in the news......

It is not even a personal statement.

But, I think that it is correct to fight fire with fire and maybe buy billboard space to say some pagan things, and make other statements from this side.

I am sick of the religionists already, no wonder England didn't want them.

I say we drive them to another continent.

Yeah. It's called in-your-face-evangelism. Like the dude who buys seats right behind the batter's box in a major league baseball game. Or gets 50-yard line tickets at the superbowl, just so he can hold up his "John 3:16" sign. Like people are going to read that and fall down in repentence.

Then, when the guy gets home, he weeps in gratitude to the Lord, for having the honor to be used as an instrument of God.

Try putting up a billboard that says "THERE IS NO GOD", and watch the freakin sparks fly. You might even get shot trying to get the billboard up.

If I had excess money I'd love to put up a billboard like that.

Yeah vix, that'd be cool, huh?

Or, here is a better one yet:

When someone puts up a big billboard that says "Jesus is Lord",

Put up a bigger one right after it that says "NOT"

:drink::lmao:

Or

"GOD IS GONE"

"MAKE PEACE, NOT RELIGION"

"JESUS, GO HOME"

'JESUS IS LORD'

I happen to like the idea of democracy.

I also know that some of our countrymen may die overseas trying to ensure Iraq and Afghanistan get to know this wonderful democracy.

So why the fuck would I revere and sing praises about an authoritarian dictator? My countrymen are going to DIE and their families left weeping just so we can stamp out totalitarianism!