Goodbye Jesus

Restoration of Israel

spamandham

Was this a true prophecy or a self-fulfilling prophecy? Please back-up whichever position you take with references.

How modern Israel came to be rooted from the infamous Dreyfus affair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfus_affair

This event prompted Theodor Herzl to promote the idea that Jews should have their own place free of persecution and anti-semitism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Herzl

There wasn’t suggestion that Theodor Herzl was looking at Biblical verses and thought “The Bible said God will bring us Jews back to Israel. We can do it!” If so, it constituted the element of self-fulfilling prophecy.

So was it a prophecy realized? Non-Zionist Jews may suggest there is a third alternative. Individual non-Zionist Jews believe that the Zionists pushed God’s timetable, so it was not God’s prophecy realized, nor was it self-fulfilling (see Theodor Herzl’s). And that non-Zionist Jews believe the modern Israel is not “God-stamped”.

I've heard it said that the British Balfour Declaration was pushed in Parliament by a guy who specifically believed that restoration of Israel was required before the Second Coming could occur. Sorry, though, I don't have a reference for that right now. I hope someone else does.

I.e. it was the act that set up the Palestinian Mandate.

The real question is - without American support, would Israel continue to exist, or would it be just another footnote in history? - Heimdall :wicked:

I've heard it said that the British Balfour Declaration was pushed in Parliament by a guy who specifically believed that restoration of Israel was required before the Second Coming could occur.  Sorry, though, I don't have a reference for that right now.  I hope someone else does.

I.e. it was the act that set up the Palestinian Mandate.

This is the problem I've been having. If it was a self-fulfilling prophecy, I haven't had much luck pinning down the details. This might make a good book for some historian.