Goodbye Jesus

Question For Christians About Biblical Inerrancy

Neon Genesis

Forget the 'sham'.

Oh, how I'd love to be able to do that, but a significant portion of society wants to keep shoving the sham down my throat!

• Like 1

Forget the 'sham'. Watch the Passion of Christ and then try your best to remain an atheist !!!

I have. It did nothing for me emotionally, nor did it prove anything. Also, the film's director is a crazy anti-Semitic crackpot who can't keep his mouth shut. That's some cart you have hitched yourself on.

It is that Nitschean mustache that keeps you from appreciating the movie. You may be an exception.

Watch the Passion of Christ and then try your best to remain an atheist !!!

For only $19.95, you too can be a Believer! Buy the DVD, and we'll send you, FOR FREE (GRATIS)...not one....not two....but THREE more DVDs to send to your neighbors!!!!!! (must pay for shipping and handling for each DVD).

WE ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE 100% CONVERSION OR YOUR MONEY BACK (excluding shipping and handling)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CALL 1-777-777-7777 (not a toll free call)

The Passion of Christ grossed US$611,899,420 worldwide and $370,782,930 in the US alone,[59] surpassing any motion picture starring Gibson.[60] In US box offices, it became the eighth (at the time) highest-grossing film in history[61] ]. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards[63] and won the People's Choice Award for Favorite Dramatic Motion Picture.[64]

Because of Hollywood opposition to the movie and total unwillingness to fund the project, Mel Gibson had to fund and distribute the film out of his own pocket. But that also means Mel Gibson became the sole beneficiary of ALL profit from $611 million revenue so far. And the money keeps rolling in. We are talking hundreds of millions in Ka-Ching !@!!

We are talking hundreds of millions in Ka-Ching !@!!

More money for his booze.

Watch the Passion of Christ and then try your best to remain an atheist !!!

For only $19.95, you too can be a Believer! Buy the DVD, and we'll send you, FOR FREE (GRATIS)...not one....not two....but THREE more DVDs to send to your neighbors!!!!!! (must pay for shipping and handling for each DVD).

WE ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE 100% CONVERSION OR YOUR MONEY BACK (excluding shipping and handling)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CALL 1-777-777-7777 (not a toll free call)

The Passion of Christ grossed US$611,899,420 worldwide and $370,782,930 in the US alone,[59] surpassing any motion picture starring Gibson.[60] In US box offices, it became the eighth (at the time) highest-grossing film in history[61] ]. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards[63] and won the People's Choice Award for Favorite Dramatic Motion Picture.[64]

Because of Hollywood opposition to the movie and total unwillingness to fund the project, Mel Gibson had to fund and distribute the film out of his own pocket. But that also means Mel Gibson became the sole beneficiary of ALL profit from $611 million revenue so far. And the money keeps rolling in. We are talking hundreds of millions in Ka-Ching !@!!

All that $money$, so where's all those 100% guaranteed conversions directly correlated to the viewing of the film? Maybe the film deconverted a percentage of viewers, fucking up your conclusion. Or maybe only fundagelicals bought the DVDs.

All that $money$, so where's all those 100% guaranteed conversions directly correlated to the viewing of the film? Maybe the film deconverted a percentage of viewers, fucking up your conclusion. Or maybe only fundagelicals bought the DVDs.

I believe this movie is having a powerful effect on world culture. We will only realize it in retrospect.

I believe this movie is having a powerful effect on world culture. We will only realize it in retrospect.

Your level of faith is truly unparalleled.

• 10 months later...
Guest r3alchild

I have just one question for Christians to answer. Why must the bible be the 100% literally true and perfect, inerrant word of god for the bible to have any value to it?

Christians say its 100% true or perfect because they think that if god is perfect then the bible has to be perfect too. Its just like how christians all say the bible is complete because the last words in revelation is bla bla bla. But in fact the bla is for that book only.

Though they have eyes, they still do not see

• 5 months later...

I got more out of The Lord of the Rings

Frodo lives!

• Like 1

I have not read all that bullshit posted by Xtians on this thread. I might read it later when I'm fresh. But the following I must comment on:

"When you make a clear division (as a sword would) between right and wrong (good and evil) so that the change from right to wrong is clear and abrupt/sudden (none of this 'different levels' like 'naughty', 'sneaky', etc.) and there is no middle ground between the two ("no variation", James 1:17), that is the 'sword' of God's spirit (right is right and wrong is wrong, and never the twain shall meet)."

That belief is one of the cruelest doctrines a religion can have. It is incredibly cruel. Under it a teacher, health care provider, or a social worker (as examples)could work their entire life toward helping others, with little concern for themselves would be considered just as guilty as a serial murderer or rapist who's life was devoted only to satisfying his own lusts and hate because the former stole chewing gum when 10 years

old. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "SINS". Not to recognize that surpasses all other stupid ideas I ever heard of. And don't tell me god is perfect, so he cannot accept anyone into his kingdom unless he/she is perfect. #1. The god of the bible is anything but perfect.

#2. He is not omnipotent if he must treat a petty theft of stealing chewing gum the same as serial killers and rapists. The god of the bible is a monster. Indeed, o chewing

gum would not need to have been stolen. After all,this "perfect" biblical gawd arranged it so that he is deemed a sinner when born. What a bunch of shit. bill

• 3 months later...
Guest OldSeer

I have just one question for Christians to answer. Why must the bible be the 100% literally true and perfect, inerrant word of god for the bible to have any value to it?

There's no need for it to be. It's been interpreted by power  fanatics to facilitate what they want things to look like. Part of the book is Hebrew history and ancient lineage. Historians can make mistakes, or don't know the all the facts needed. It depends upon whether oneaccepts the main thought line, which is the case with any writing, Then on the other side of the fence it depends on one comprehending--why would a people spend 6000 ( if that) years writing their history untrue. It can 't be a joke spanning that time. Why would each generation add to the joke of untruth of their culture. A certain degree of logic needs to be applied. Wouldn't a generation in the works see the error and dump the entire thing. One also has to ask---if it's perpetrated falsehood what was to gain by it. Floks normally don't do such things unless there's a goal to accomplish.  smile.png

Guest OldSeer

The Law does not mean The Old Testament. In general it can include the Levitical laws in Levitcus and Deuteronomy as well as what Moses gave the people at Mt Sinai. Jesus probably meant something much more abstract... more along the lines of love God and love your neighbor... that was the way he spoke.

True. Still, the reference to "iota" would have been an idiom lost to the uneducated Aramaic fishermen culture. How would the non-literal workers know "iota" meant the "smallest thing?" Seems like the audience was Greek, not Jewish.

There two law basics to look at, natural law, and civil law. One needs to determine which is being referred to.

• 1 month later...

I am what you may call a Christian. I believe the Bible is what it says it is.

Neon Genesis' question to Christians is discussed in the Bible here:

"All scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

How condescending and pretentious this must sound to a non-Christians, as in "needing to be corrected." However, it does not specify the object of the corrections, so that means it corrects other Christians as well, and this includes me.

I hope this answers your question from a Christian perspective.

• Super Moderator

"All scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

How condescending and pretentious this must sound to a non-Christians, as in "needing to be corrected." However, it does not specify the object of the corrections, so that means it corrects other Christians as well, and this includes me.

If the totality of scripture was genuinely inspired by god, then, why is the gospel of st. mark 10,000 words longer than the same gospel in the oldest bible discovered to date, which was written around 400CE?  

• Like 2

Xtians: your arguments, as always, primarily cite the bible as proof of your beliefs. There are some generalized sources outside of the bible. Nothing specific. Let's see how your arguments stand up if you don't cite as proof the very book you are claiming is absolutely true.  Cite specific sources for your claims about the bible which are not contained in the bible itself. You must know that using the bible as proof is a circular argument. For example if you claim a fulfilled prophesy, cite proof that it was fulfilled from authentic records outside of the bible. If you outside source is disputed by people with at least the same professional background as your sources or better, cite them, too. Let's get away from mere bullshit and cite proof. Can you do that?   bill

• Like 1

notice that in that era, the known scriptures are old testament?

and why do bible need to be inerrant? it is not even the word of god

christian who says that bible is word of god does not even know the core of christianity, the core of their faith

The bible itself is inert. The problem occurs when Christians try to impose guilt, fear or shame via bible verses to control other people.

OK, say we don't use the word, inerrant. The scripture cited by Old Hat does claim inspiration. You can't seriously talk about inspiration unless you allow that the Holy Ghost brought it about that the writer wrote what God wanted. The Catholic Church, for one, has been very clear on this. Official documents insist that all of the Bible is a human product AND gives exactly the words God wanted.

So why did God want so much shit in there? Contradictions, historical inaccuracy, morally appalling stuff, to the degree that keeps a whole industry of apologists employed creating spin. What kind of God comes up with THIS as the product of his inspiration?

A huge number of ad hoc assumptions, special pleadings, and on and on is necessary to hold to inspiration, OR --

just admit that scripture is a mystery on top of all the other mysteries we are supposed to accept on faith.

Problem is that Luke and John explicitly present their gospels as testimony, on the basis of which belief in Jesus as Messiah etc. is made credible. "Peter" insists that "we did not follow cunningly devised myths... but as eyewitnesses..." (2 Peter 1:16). But those books are no more free of the above problems than are other books of the Bible; pretty clear that none of them was written until at least the end of the first century.

So we have to accept it as a mystery that God inspired human writings (Catholic documents explicitly talk about "the mystery of scripture"). I.e. we must trust by faith that the purported eyewitness testimony, on which our belief is supposedly made credible, is trustworthy. The basis of credibility of the religion itself must be believed by faith.

Why should I believe? "Because we said so..."

• Like 1