Goodbye Jesus

Question For Christians About Biblical Inerrancy

Neon Genesis

Did anyone ever wonder why Jesus wasn't recognized by anyone when he "came back from the dead," even though these people had spent the last several years with the guy? Did you ever wonder why it always took them so long to realize it was him? Did anyone think that perhaps, just perhaps, it was someone else just pretending to be the dead guy? I've thought this for some time now.

Did anyone ever wonder why Jesus wasn't recognized by anyone when he "came back from the dead," even though these people had spent the last several years with the guy? Did you ever wonder why it always took them so long to realize it was him? Did anyone think that perhaps, just perhaps, it was someone else just pretending to be the dead guy? I've thought this for some time now.

Já, didn't he have brothers? Simple matter (albeit painful) for one of them to wound himself in appropriate places and then pretend to be his brother come back from the dead. It would've been a tremendous boost for the morale of the cult members.

Makes a heck of a lot more sense than someone *really* coming back from the dead.

I love it how WE are the ones who are "fearful" of believing "DA TRUTH"...yeah. I don't think he is a troll though. He ACTUALLY BELIEVES THIS TO BE THE TRUTH and thinks that WE are "in sin" and "deluded"...to be pitied ABOVE ALL...as Paul said.

JayL, there is something else that should be added to my recent comments. Not only is it true that the Bible's resurrection accounts are hopelessly contradictory and the NT's alleged prophetic fulfillments in Jesus were fabricated by taking OT texts out of context, but it is also true that Christianity absorbed common pagan themes of the time in which it came into existence. While I haven't studied the pagan influences as much as the Bible issues (by a long shot), the simple fact that they existed is another blow to the Christian's misconception that the accounts of Jesus in the Bible are literal, historical fact. Here is a site that may be of value in this matter:

http://pocm.info/

At any rate, I hope all this stuff isn't too overwhelming for you. I know it was for me when I started realizing that Christianity is not at all what Christians make it out to be. The evidence against traditional Christianity is simply insurmountable, which means that there's a lot to trudge through. However, if you take the time to look at all the evidence honestly and objectively, then you should be able to eventually see what many of us ex-Christians have come to see, which is that Christianity is definitely a myth.

Cheers!

More tough questions and thoughtful arguments that JayL will simply ignore so that he can spread his good news. smiliejerkoff.gif

Cuz the bible says that when the righteous dead are resurrected they will all be changed 1 Cor 15. We won't look like we did down here, we'll be perfect. Jesus incarnate was made to be a plain Joe so people would focus on His character and not His beauty. That's why He did not show Himself to the two disciples on the way to Emmaus. He wanted them to pay attention to the message and not to be too awed by externals. When they recognized Him He disappeared on them :D

Cuz the bible says that when the righteous dead are resurrected they will all be changed 1 Cor 15. We won't look like we did down here, we'll be perfect. Jesus incarnate was made to be a plain Joe so people would focus on His character and not His beauty. That's why He did not show Himself to the two disciples on the way to Emmaus. He wanted them to pay attention to the message and not to be too awed by externals. When they recognized Him He disappeared on them biggrin.png

That doesn't sound made up at all. Good historical evidence, Jay!!

Cuz the bible says that when the righteous dead are resurrected they will all be changed 1 Cor 15. We won't look like we did down here, we'll be perfect. Jesus incarnate was made to be a plain Joe so people would focus on His character and not His beauty. That's why He did not show Himself to the two disciples on the way to Emmaus. He wanted them to pay attention to the message and not to be too awed by externals. When they recognized Him He disappeared on them biggrin.png

A far more likely explanation is that it wasn't Jesus at all but that the gullible assumed it was Jesus. I've seen the same thing when some random stranger did something nice Christians around me assumed it wasn't a real human but a guardian angel disguised to look human. I even believed that crap myself once.

We won't look like we did down here, we'll be perfect.

Perfection isn't what it's cracked up to be: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1367633/Perfect-symmetry-How-look-sides-face-identical.html

Look at the faces from the link. Jesus didn't show himself because he was perfectly ugly with his symmetrically perfect face. There's a reason why perfection is non-existent in this universe. Balance and imperfection are better than perfection. They create beauty!

• Like 1

Jesus incarnate was made to be a plain Joe so people would focus on His character and not His beauty.

You linked to Isa 53:2 which isn't about Jesus, it's part of a metaphorical passage about God's servant Israel, which is personified throughout Isaiah.

Isa 41:8-10

But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.

Thou whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called thee from the chief men thereof, and said unto thee, Thou art my servant; I have chosen thee, and not cast thee away.

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Isa 49:3,7

And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.

Thus saith the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the LORD that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.

Isa 53:2-3

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

The suffering and eventual restoration of the servant Israel, would ultimately be the vehicle that would show the gentile nations who the true God was.

Isa 42:1-2

Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

Isa 48:1,9-10

Hear this... O you who are called Israel...

Behold, I have refined you, but not with silver.

I have tried you in the furnace of affliction.

Isa 53:7

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

The servant Israel would be afflicted but remain silent.

Jesus wasn't silent, he requested to be relieved of his task, he talked back to the authorities, and cried out, complaining that he had been abandoned.

The restoration of the exiled servant Israel would lift it as a power over gentile nations and it would be a spiritual light (Isa 49:6) to them, which in turn would cause gentiles to learn about and know the one true God(Yahweh).

Isa 55:5(NLT)

You (restored Israel) also will command nations you do not know, and peoples unknown to you will come running to obey, because I, the Lord your God,the Holy One of Israel, have made you glorious.”

• Like 1

Except that that was Thumbelina, not JayL. ;)

Jesus incarnate was made to be a plain Joe so people would focus on His character and not His beauty.

You linked to Isa 53:2 which isn't about Jesus, it's part of a metaphorical passage about God's servant Israel, which is personified throughout Isaiah.

Isa 41:8-10

But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.

Thou whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called thee from the chief men thereof, and said unto thee, Thou art my servant; I have chosen thee, and not cast thee away.

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Isa 49:3,7

And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.

Thus saith the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the LORD that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.

Isa 53:2-3

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

The suffering and eventual restoration of the servant Israel, would ultimately be the vehicle that would show the gentile nations who the true God was.

Isa 42:1-2

Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

Isa 48:1,9-10

Hear this... O you who are called Israel...

Behold, I have refined you, but not with silver.

I have tried you in the furnace of affliction.

Isa 53:7

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

The servant Israel would be afflicted but remain silent.

Jesus wasn't silent, he requested to be relieved of his task, he talked back to the authorities, and cried out, complaining that he had been abandoned.

The restoration of the exiled servant Israel would lift it as a power over gentile nations and a spiritual light (Isa 49:6) to them, which in turn would cause gentiles to learn about and know the one true God(Yahweh).

Isa 55:5(NLT)

You (restored Israel) also will command nations you do not know, and peoples unknown to you will come running to obey, because I, the Lord your God,the Holy One of Israel, have made you glorious.”

Stop using logic, Centauri! It's all about blind faith, not facts, remember? ;)

Except that that was Thumbelina, not JayL. wink.png

It doesn't really make much difference. Most of these apologetic excuses could come from any Christian. They are all trying desperately to justify their faith. They are mostly repeating what they have heard some other Christian say, usually a pastor or theologian. After a while they all sound alike.

• Like 1

Stop using logic, Centauri! It's all about blind faith, not facts, remember? wink.png

Amen, and such faith can make our lives easier because we won't have to think as much.

Praise!

Oops. I think I was tabbing between 2 diff screens. But yeah, Jay, Thumby, OC.....all the same.

Praise the lard!

It doesn't really make much difference. Most of these apologetic excuses could come from any Christian. They are all trying desperately to justify their faith. They are mostly repeating what they have heard some other Christian say, usually a pastor or theologian. After a while they all sound alike.

Indeed. I used to tout much of the same stuff that I see Christians tout here. Now that I have come to see the serious flaws in such arguments, it boggles my mind that I used to fall for some of them. It's all in the programming, the way Christians are taught to just believe rather than think critically.

Apologists claim that their arguments are for the skeptics, but in reality they're for the believers who are in contact with skeptics. Apologetics arguments help the indoctrinated believer *think* that he has facts and logic on his side, but most of us skeptics can see right through the sham.

• Like 1

It's all in the programming, the way Christians are taught to just believe rather than think critically. Apologists claim that their arguments are for the skeptics, but in reality they're for the believers who are in contact with skeptics. Apologetics arguments help the indoctrinated believer *think* that he has facts and logic on his side, but most of us skeptics can see right through the sham.

You said it. That is very well put.

• 3 weeks later...

It's all in the programming, the way Christians are taught to just believe rather than think critically. Apologists claim that their arguments are for the skeptics, but in reality they're for the believers who are in contact with skeptics. Apologetics arguments help the indoctrinated believer *think* that he has facts and logic on his side, but most of us skeptics can see right through the sham.

Forget the 'sham'. Watch the Passion of Christ and then try your best to remain an atheist !!!

Forget the 'sham'. Watch the Passion of Christ and then try your best to remain an atheist !!!

Haha! I HAVE watched Passion of the Christ, and it's a joke! There is NO WAY that anyone could endure that kind of tourture and still be able to pick up and carry a large cross.

I see that you still have not taken up my challenge to prove that there's not an invisible unicorn living in my back yard.

I also see that you have not even remotely attempted to address the plethora of problems I detailed regarding the hopelessly contradictory resurrection narratives and the fabricated prophetic fulfillments. The best you can come back with is a cheesy movie that made you feel good?

That's like saying, "Try watching The Odyssey and remain an atheist! (towards the Greek pantheon)!

Watch the Passion of Christ and then try your best to remain an atheist !!!

That's like saying, "Try watching The Odyssey and remain an atheist! (towards the Greek pantheon)!

Right on, mcdaddy!

It blows my mind how ridiculously flimsy so many Christian arguments are. Someone gets goose bumps watching a movie and thinks that settles the matter. Wow. Just wow.

If there was a real physical grave site, it would have been venerated since 33 AD. (supposedly). But there was no worship, veneration, whatever til the 4th century! After the catholic church "found it"!!

Watch the Passion of Christ and then try your best to remain an atheist !!!

For only $19.95, you too can be a Believer! Buy the DVD, and we'll send you, FOR FREE (GRATIS)...not one....not two....but THREE more DVDs to send to your neighbors!!!!!! (must pay for shipping and handling for each DVD).

WE ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE 100% CONVERSION OR YOUR MONEY BACK (excluding shipping and handling)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CALL 1-777-777-7777 (not a toll free call)

I have. It did nothing for me emotionally, nor did it prove anything. Also, the film's director is a crazy anti-Semitic crackpot who can't keep his mouth shut. That's some cart you have hitched yourself on.

I read the book - why would a movie be any different?

• Like 1