Goodbye Jesus

OK – Now I’m Mad!

nivek

OK – Now I’m Mad!

by Monica Benderman

The wife of a US National Guardsman wrote that if her husband were to have died during his tour of duty in Iraq, "I would be promoting all the good he did in this world and not downsizing it and belittling the efforts he and his comrades made." (Shona Emery, NH Union Leader, July 15).

My husband [Kevin] DID NOT ENLIST TO DEFEND HIS COUNTRY SO THAT ORDINARY CITIZENS COULD REMAIN FREE TO ABUSE THE SYSTEM.

"All the good he did in this world" has not stopped war from happening. "All the good he did in this world" has not stopped the citizens of this country from misinterpreting the sacrifice of people like her husband.

Sure, soldiers have given their lives to defend their country. Sure, there is honor in their belief that what they did was right, and there is hope that good will come out of it. DOES THE GOOD COME?? Seriously, think about it. Where are the results of our soldiers' good efforts?? What are Americans doing to earn the freedoms and rights that our soldiers fought to defend?

Americans insist on driving around with those little yellow stickers saying "support the troops" and honestly, I think that most of them have forgotten that they even put those stickers on their cars.

What do I see? I see a country that spends thousands more dollars than any vehicle is worth on a "super-sized gas-guzzling mega-ride" just because they are "FREE" to do so. "It is their right." It doesn't matter that thousands of soldiers have died to preserve our right to have all the oil we need to produce all the gas we need, at a surplus cost, just so we can remain FREE to drive the stupid things.

My husband DID NOT DEFEND HIS COUNTRY for people to have the right to abuse the system.

I see a country who faints with exhaustion when the temperatures get above 80 degrees, and the air conditioners are on for the duration, set at indoor temperatures which, if occurring in the outdoors would be considered too cold. But – "It is their right;" and Americans are "FREE" to do so because of the "good that my husband has done in the world" by fighting in far off lands to preserve our freedoms.

My husband DID NOT DEFEND HIS COUNTRY for people to have the right to abuse the system.

Feel FREE to go to any landfill and survey the waste – the plastic, the vinyl, the containers and bags – OIL – wasted OIL – at almost $60.00 a barrel – laying there tossed away because Americans are FREE to throw away what they get tired of, and replace it with new plastic, vinyl – wrapped in bags and packed in containers that used still more OIL to be produced. But – "it is their right," and this is the way the honor and the sacrifice of all of the veterans who have ever served this country to defend our freedoms are supported.

Visit any homeless shelter in this country, and look into the eyes of the people there, grateful for the food they are given, and the simple bed they have to sleep in. Then, look in someone's trash and see exactly what they didn't eat for dinner, what they didn't store for another day's leftover meals – WASTE – but "it is their right." They are FREE because soldiers have died defending their right to abuse the system. I don't think so.

My husband did not serve his country, did not put his life on the line to defend the freedoms of this country, so that the few could abuse their privileges while so many struggled to have what they need.

He did not serve his country so that business managers could receive paychecks for 40-hour work weeks while spending half of the time they should be working, on the golf course.

He did not serve his country to defend their right to work as they pleased while the real WORKERS, the people who made the company strong enough to make a profit, were paid minimum wage with no health benefits, and "fire at will" policies.

FREEDOM – hard fought, and so abused. The freedoms that my husband fought for and defended were the freedoms for every individual to have the right to make good choices.

Those freedoms are based on the belief that every individual will use sound judgment in making those choices, and will not abuse their freedom by allowing their individual rights to infringe on the rights of others. Where is that happening these days? At what place can I go, to see that consideration, thoughtfulness, and concern for humanity other than ourselves is being practiced in a manner consistent with the FREEDOMS and RIGHTS laid out in our US Constitution? These are the FREEDOMS and RIGHTS that my husband served to defend.

Support our soldiers and our veterans, but not by placing one more yellow ribbon on a vehicle. Don't you know – it takes oil to produce the materials to produce those yellow ribbons?

Support the "good works" of our soldiers and our veterans, by making a sacrifice EQUAL to the sacrifice they made in defending YOUR FREEDOMS AND RIGHTS.

PLEASE – support them by living according to the standards of humanity that justify your having those RIGHTS. In my book – there is no other way to "support our troops."

July 22, 2005

Monica Benderman [mailto: mdawnb@coastalnow.netl] is the wife of Sgt. Kevin Benderman. Kevin is stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia. He has served on combat tour in Iraq. After seeing war firsthand, he made the decision to file for Conscientious Objector status in December, 2004. His command refused the request, and filed charges of Missing Movement and Desertion against him. They have since added a charge of Larceny. Sgt. Benderman is scheduled to face a second attempt at Courts Martial for these charges on July 28, and Ft. Stewart.

Copyright 2005 Kevin Benderman

Find this article at:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig6/benderman-m4.html

:Doh:

Well. Hmm. Uhh. I'm at a loss for words!

I'm CERTAIN this falls into the category of "contradiction", at the very least.

(Bullshit at the worst!)

Sheesh.

My husband the Patriotic Conscientious Objector? WTF?!?

Pick a side, woman!

Guest Priapus

She must have that axe ground to a nice, sharp edge. Like a razor, I'll wager.

I think people make stupid consumer choices much of the time, including those she lists. Do those choices dishonor the soldier who stands, fights, and sometimes dies to defend America's interests? Hard to say. People have been making stupid choices since the first guy though he'd line his loin cloth with hot coals to keep him warm when he left the cave in winter. I'm thinking soldiers know this, coming from the general population of people. Thing of it is, I know plenty of military people who make those same irresponsible decisions.

Many of you here will not agree with this posting, but this is the view of someone who has been shot at much more than the average soldier.

Ms. Benderman, I was in Vietnam for two tours, in Grenada to rescue the American students and in Panama to oust and arrest Noriega. I flew on 428 combat as a observer on Forward Air Control aircraft, spend a sizeable amount of time in nations most Americans have never heard of, and was a member of the Intelligence community. I spent a quarter of a century doing these things, putting my life on the line more times than the average GI and why did I do this? I did it so the American people can enjoy the freedoms that they have, that they can drive the gas hogs if they so desire and can afford them, so they can have their food processed and packed in plastic if they want. This is America, not Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union, these citizens have the right to do all the things that you are sneering at, yet I bet you love the cheap gas, would become irate if your meat was laid in the display case unwrapped, love the cool air in the summer. What you are saying is the height of hypocrisy, because you are an average American and take all those as your natural born right. Your husband has seen combat and he didn’t like it, well neither did I, but I did what had to be done and was willing to give my life for my people, my country, and my way of life. – and their constitutionally granted freedoms to do what they want, in the manner they want as long as it does not impact the rights of other Americans. I say release you husband from his obligations, he has shown what kind of man he is and we don’t need his pollution among our finest citizens. - Heimdall :wicked:

As the kids on the street would say.. "Bitch is trippin"

Heimdel thank you for your post, and for what you have done. I read the first post cringing. I agree, that those yellow ribbon stickers are a joke, but then I tend to think all bumber stickers are a joke. I know american citizens are wasteful, and although I do well in some areas, I am so NOT giving up my air. (Although living in a desert like I do I find the 80 degree comment insulting. They have been known to send soldiers here before the mid east to "get used" to the weather, let her spend a week where it doesn't get under 120 without air, I DID!) This is just another whiner broad brushing americans to me. We all whine if it is over 80? Apparently shes never met people from the south west. Bet she thinks we ALL whine when it gets under zero too, yeah tell it to an eskimo idiot. I'm sorry but people in New England are culturally a completely different animal then thouse in the south west. Our great white north holds people who know a hardship I never will. Hawaiians could never relate to 120 degrees or below zero, and their culture and attitudes are very differnt from a person in NYC. Yet they are all americans, so STFU. There are many many americans still toughing it out in the military so YOU Mrs. Benderman can have your freedoms, and many more wives and mothers at home worried.

YOU Mrs. Benderman want to tell us what freedoms your husband will, and will not fight for, so sorry it don't work like that. It is called FREEDOM, freedom to do the right thing, freedom to do the wrong thing, freedom to fall on your arse. Freedom to cover your giant size car with the lamest bumber stickers ever made, and freedom to take the bus. Freedom to have my kid wear a bike helmet, YES a freaking plastic one! Freedom to throw it away when he gets in an accident like it was so much garbage. Freedom to decide at the store between plastic or paper, waste oil, kill a tree. Freedom to bring reusable bags. Bitch about plastic, sheesh go through your home woman, you're surrounded, I don't know you, but I garuntee. When I was young I could have gone to school, I choose not to, now I pay for that, that was and is MY freedom. Sometimes we make good choices, sometimes we suck, but let the goverment decide for us and it will suck SO much more. Your hubby got to a desert it was hot, there was no air, and people were dying, this is WAR, and thats the breaks chicka, deal with it.

Good topic pic Madam,

I once posed the question, if you were God, and you could get rid of all the wars and hurt and sickness, how would you go about doing it? It would seem to me that first you would begin by taking away certain freedoms. And in the end where does the loss of freedoms end?

Sort of like, what did God do when He gave us freedom to choose to believe or not, but I digress into assuming we all believe.

oops, my bad.

It would seem to me that first you would begin by taking away certain freedoms. And in the end where does the loss of freedoms end?

Sigh...

I'm so damn tired of Christians using the Free Will argument. You sound like my fundy cube mate with his "the Bible is just like the Transformers because in the Transformers the good guys let their people choose" crap. You don't happen to live in Minnesota and be an engineering contractor by any chance, do you? Although by your username, I'm guessing you're in Alabama.

Anyway, you can end wars without taking away too much freedom. Get rid of the situations that cause people to fight first, like poverty, lack of education, and religious extremism, and train people to be really good negotiators.

You wouldn't have to get rid of freedom to get rid of sickness, just find cures for every illness known to mankind.

Hurt is a little trickier, but I guess that depends on your definition of hurt. If you end the situations that cause it (i.e. women being forced to marry abusive men, educating the parents not to abuse their children, etc, you don't have to take away any freedom.

Just my two cents.

Sort of like, what did God do when He gave us freedom to choose to believe or not, but I digress into assuming we all believe.

oops, my bad.

Um, no really??? This is an Ex-Christian site, not a Christian site. Although not all here were Christian, and some still are, don't make the mistake of assuming everyone thinks as you do, even if they are wearing a cross necklace or have a fish bumper sticker or something. Some people are too afraid to leave the church because of what their families or friends might think, so they quietly disbelieve and still go to church anyway. Please, do yourself a favor and don't assume anything while you're here.

I'll give you a choice.  You can be my slave or I will lock you up and burn you with hot pokers.  I'll be a really nice master, though once in awhile I might throw in a crazy pop quiz- like taking away your home, or depriving you of food.  But in the end, it will all be for your own good, because it will teach you to be a better slave.  How do you like that choice?  Now choose.  ;)

OOOO! OOOO! Are you making this offering of slavery to Huntsvil only, or anyone that is interested?

If it's an open offer to all who are interested, I only have one question before I make my choice.

Does being your slave entail partaking of your sausage-gravy and biscuit breakfasts? :mellow:

Guest aexapo

It seems (to me, anyway) that the original quoted poster went on tilt because of the attitude that says "it doesn't matter what Washington demands our boys to do overseas, they are protecting our freedoms." The attitude that says that because this is the USA, the White House and Pentegon are genetically incapable of sending troops in for economic interests instead of our national security -- it's unthinkable!

I do support our troops, and admire their honor and bravery, but part of the rights our military has fought for in the past is the right to keep a critical eye (and mouth) on the poliwacks in DC -- who don't always make the right choices: with our taxes, with our liberties, etc.

Why is when we are so quick to criticize the Brooks Brothers elite on capital hill about our tax bill, but give them carte blanch on military matters? Why is the "call to war" in America the only holy grail that can't be criticized or blasphemed against?

Our men and women in the US Armed Forces always fight bravely when called upon, but they don't make the call, and they don't mark the X on the map. And those lily-livered pansies in their pressed suits in Washington who DO make those decisions don't always do it for national security reasons.

I also love this immediate assumption that the minute anyone leaps into the saddle of National Service they immediately become "honourable" and "defenders of freedom". Whether they are promoted as "fighting to defend their country's interests" or not, the raw fact of the matter is that no one can be entirely aware of their motivations for doing so. Maybe they like the idea of being able to gun down lots of none-white, none-english speaking people. Maybe they are turned on by the idea of the uniform, or of returning home hale and hearty to a hero's welcome.

Many of you here will not agree with this posting, but this is the view of someone who has been shot at much more than the average soldier.
its the wife... unless u meant metophorically, then i might agree O.o

This ... 'essay' made me very confused... is she supporting or telling us the flaws, or just being stupid? o.O

Maybe they like the idea of being able to gun down lots of none-white, none-english speaking people.

Except, of course, the black and hispanic members of the military, who want to just gun down non-English speakers.

Except, of course, the black and hispanic members of the military, who want to just gun down non-English speakers.
heebeejeebywhat? yay post 174... i remember a week ago i was at 50 or so :)