Goodbye Jesus

Question on the Talmud

shy1680

I dont know if I should post this question here but oh well. I dont have the time right now to do the research on the dates of the talmud but would Jesus have been taught from it during his time on earth? Thanks to anyone that can help me.

I dont know if I should post this question here but oh well.  I dont have the time right now to do the research on the dates of the talmud but would Jesus have been taught from it during his time on earth?  Thanks to anyone that can help me.

We can't say for certain, but it is (to my mind) likely that he did OR that his "teachings" were parts of the Talmud reworked...

I do know that one theory is that Jesus was nothing more than a Rabbi. If so, then it's almost certain that he'd have used the Talmud.

I hope someone else can weigh in on this with some more info as I'd be interested in knowing that too.

I bet Mythra will have some answers. :-)

During the time that Jesus allegedly lived, the jews had the Torah. (The Law, the Prophets and the Writings) - corresponds really closely to the Christian OT, although the names of the books are all different.

Talmud was oral law and commentaries, which weren't written and compiled during the early first century.

Talmud didn't begin to be compiled until 200CE. It is made up of oral law and oral commentaries (called the Mishnah and the Gemara) There are two Talmuds - the Jerusalem Talmud and the Babylonian Talmud. The Babylonian Talmud (the most extensive) was completed around 600 CE.

So, any reference to "scrolls" in the NT was probably referring to the Torah.

Thanks for the info. I was talking with a friend who is also ex-christian and it was a question brought up because we understand that there were oral laws and traditions in addition to the Torah. And we were wondering just how much of this would be needed to be learned in order to really understand the Jewish religion during the time of Jesus, since there is this huge gap between the last book of the O.T. and Jesus's birth. But anyways, thanks so much for the info, it was helpful.