Goodbye Jesus

21 Years Of Dry Life Just Ended

Jeff H

It feels silly even saying this out loud....or....typing it, I guess. But tonight, I'm pleased to say that I finally drank for the first time! I know that's not such a big deal to....well, anyone, really....but I had to share it, because it's important to me.

In the church I grew up in, drinking of any kind, even in moderation, was frowned upon. It wasn't "wrong" per se, but it's just something that you didn't do. My family, both immediate and extended, never drank at all, and in high school I was hit even harder with my principal/teacher telling horror stories about his days in university and seeing all the drunken parties and people passed out on the floor. It was in high school that I committed myself to never drinking - while I knew that the Bible said not to get drunk, but didn't mention drinking, I decided that I would take the extra step anyway.

And I stuck with it. I was actually pretty proud of myself. On my 19th birthday (the legal drinking age in Ontario), I stayed totally dry. People offered to buy me drinks, and I said no thanks and turned them down. My friends learned that while I was okay with them drinking, that it was just easier to stop offering it to me - I wouldn't touch the stuff. Deep down, it made me feel all religious and holy and all that jazz.

At any rate, a couple weeks ago I decided, to hell with it, I was going to get rid of this stupid rule that I made up for myself. So tonight, I drank a bottle of Smirnoff Ice while watching The Office with my friends. Felt good. I thought up the imagery of communion....this was the communion I needed to partake of to help myself enter the fellowship of the non-believers. (Anyone care to drink to that? :grin: )

But anyway, with all that said.....was kind of disappointed on the whole. I drank it down, and didn't feel a thing. Didn't feel this "buzz" everyone always talks about. Maybe I should have downed it faster, I dunno. Lol....but at any rate, it's the thought that counts with this one. It was an initiation rite. I think that makes it sound better, right? Haha maybe not. But at any rate....just thought I'd share that with you. The sad, pitiful life that is this shmuck just got a little less sad and pitiful. Here's to better days, and living life :beer:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vomit Comet

• Vigile

• Jeff H

• gypsy79

Congrats man.

And take it slow. Don't worry about getting buzzed or drunk. Just be aware of how you're feeling as you drink and enjoy it for what it is.

If anything, you've proven to yourself that having a drink doesn't instantly make you a drunk. And it certainly doesn't mean you're a new person -- reborn into heathonism, perhaps, but still the same person.

Congratulatons Jeff! :beer:

It's the symbolism of it more than anything, right?

Smirnoff Ice? No wonder nothing happened. :grin: Next time do five shots of tequila, then we'll talk. :68:

But cool, dude. I was never ever drunk until two weeks before I moved to Las Vegas. (Yeah, no shit.) My first year here I almost became a drunk, and had some really bad drunken incidents that scared me into moderation. Everyone who moves here, the first year is pretty heavy (this town is pretty brutal) and it's what'll make or break you. When you move here, whatever you bring with you (vices, etc.) gets magnified and you must learn the fine art of moderation in order to keep from crashing and burning. The first year is what makes ya or breaks ya. But anyways, I digress.

But anyway, with all that said.....was kind of disappointed on the whole. I drank it down, and didn't feel a thing. Didn't feel this "buzz" everyone always talks about. Maybe I should have downed it faster, I dunno. Lol....but at any rate, it's the thought that counts with this one. It was an initiation rite. I think that makes it sound better, right? Haha maybe not. But at any rate....just thought I'd share that with you. The sad, pitiful life that is this shmuck just got a little less sad and pitiful. Here's to better days, and living life :beer:

One thing is certain - drink enough Smirnoff Ice and you'll feel the buzz you've heard about. Keep drinking and you'll see it all come back up for a rematch!

Did you enjoy yourself? Did you enjoy the flavor of the beverage and how it went down? As you know now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Enjoy it. It's an adult pleasure and you're an adult. You didn't get behind the wheel of a vehicle and you enjoyed a nice, refreshing alcoholic beverage responsibly. Well done.

If anything, you've proven to yourself that having a drink doesn't instantly make you a drunk. And it certainly doesn't mean you're a new person -- reborn into heathonism, perhaps, but still the same person.

Lol yeah...for some reason, as a Christian, I had this image in my mind that as soon as I took a sip of alcohol, that I'd be breaking my commitment, and once that was gone it'd be a quick slide down into alcoholism and depression and drunken frat parties and running around outside in the nude. Now that I think about it, though, those sound pretty good...well, the last two, anyway :P

Congratulatons Jeff! :beer:

It's the symbolism of it more than anything, right?

Yeah, for the most part. I'm too cheap to buy alcohol on a regular basis, it's too friggin' expensive! But it's nice to have the option now, at least lol....

Smirnoff Ice? No wonder nothing happened. :grin: Next time do five shots of tequila, then we'll talk. :68:

Haha well that was all my friends brought, so the next time I find some (cheap) tequila, I'll make sure to let you know how it goes...

One thing is certain - drink enough Smirnoff Ice and you'll feel the buzz you've heard about. Keep drinking and you'll see it all come back up for a rematch!

Lol yeeeaaaahhh...one of the things that doesn't exactly appeal to my non-drinking self :P

Did you enjoy yourself? Did you enjoy the flavor of the beverage and how it went down? As you know now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Enjoy it. It's an adult pleasure and you're an adult. You didn't get behind the wheel of a vehicle and you enjoyed a nice, refreshing alcoholic beverage responsibly. Well done.

Amen, you sound like a beer commercial. :grin: Lol I guess it wasn't bad...tasted kinda like pop, but I dunno....guess I'm not entirely cut out for this drinking business, but at least I tried it :shrug:

At any rate, now that I can cross that off my list, next one up is......SEX :wicked:

There was a time in my life when I drank a tad more than I should. OK, a lot more than a 'tad.' A few too many of those days ended with me wearing less clothing than I should have been and at large parties. At the time I was living with my alcoholic roommate (also a member of the fraternity I was in). I'm not talking about the "man I drink too much and should quit"-alcoholic... I am talking the "I cough up blood, get the DTs when I stop, and black out a few times a month"-alcoholic. He would usually start the day with a few drinks but I would wait until 10am before I started. It wasn't unusual for the both of us to each have a bottle of bourbon to ourselves and then go out for beer in the evening. It was a very unhappy time and I remember refusing to drink for a week because "I need to know what sober feels like again."

Don't do that. Don't be that person. Yeah a party with friends and some drinks is great. But if you're puking or drinking till you're getting sick... it's not nearly as cool. Having a few drinks is awesome. Having a few too many is the worst.

I later joined another group which strongly advocated 'responsible' partying. Basically, they partied harder than any fraternity on campus but expected you to have your shit together at all times. And to know yourself well enough to say, "I've had enough," no matter what was going on around you. A person who could be responsible would never make it. That group taught me a lot about what is appropriate use and what is abuse.

Anyway, I am rambling. But the basic point is that you don't want to end up naked at a frat party... EVER. There are places to be naked and most of them involve large numbers of WOMEN. The last place you want to strip is around a bunch of men. Well, unless you're into that... which is cool. But I didn't get that impression.

Take it slow and easy. When it come to alcohol, it's a wonderful drug. But it's one that you need to be seriously aware of your limitations regarding it. I don't want to be the one dragging your ass a mile and a half back to your dorm room! ;) {And neither does anyone who actually knows you.}

I raise a glass of Mister Daniels' best to you sir - and suggest you do also; you'll get a quicker result than you would with Smirnoff blooming Ice.

Seriously though, congrats, but like the others said, take it easy. In my brief experience there are few things worse than waking up in a bed - even your own bed - and having no idea how you go there.

Cheers!

Chris B Chikin

I had a Goldfish called Smirnoff once.

Cool. I'm raising my fifth whiskey of the day to you. LOL. Please don't take pointers from me. Something about chronic back pain and not wanting to take painkillers = lots of Jim Beam. :grin: I agree with the others. Take it slow. Alcohol in moderation is great. Wondering how you made it to the bottom of a half gallon of liquor and can still type without misspelling anything is another.

Seriously, though, I know what you mean. My denom taught that all drinking was wrong, even a sip, which never made any sense to me since it's not biblical. It made me go all crazy when I finally did decide to drink at 19. That led to bad times and 10 years of trying to find moderation, which I finally did, although it may not sound like it. Find your comfortable spot for you and don't go over it. Congratulations on your initiation!

Crown Royal for ya!

Cheers!

Congratulations!

And depending upon your body mass, it may take more than one drink to feel a buzz. Personally, I'm small and seldom drink so about half a beer gets me silly, but on the nights I have some serious drinking planned I can keep upright (in heels) through about five drinks before crossing over into "puke" territory.

Smirnoff Ice are tasty but if you have more than two in a night the acid can really burn your stomach. I tend to go for the hard stuff, Smirnoff Cherry Vodka mixed with Sugar Free Red Bull. It's not a taste for everyone, but I loves them :welcome: :welcome:

I was brough up Baptist, and you may have heard that they're not big fans of the demon rum. So I was in grad school before I drank at all, and considerably older before I was comforatble with it. It retrospect, it seems so silly. You can easily enjoy a couple of drinks without being a drunk, or an alcoholic, or a curse on society. Actually, moderate drinking actually has health benefits.

Anyhow, I'll agree with those who caution not to overdo it, but enjoy!

Thanks again, guys, I will certainly keep the warnings about moderation in mind. You know, it's funny. Back as a Christian, part of my dealio with not drinking at all was that I had convinced myself that I was a guy who tended to do things "to excess". I thought that if I drank once, then everything would go downhill, as I'd be likely to just keep going and going until the bottle and I were best buds. But as of more recently, I realized.........you know what? I'm like the most self-controlled person I know... :shrug:

At any rate, I don't plan on drinking often, nor do I plan on getting stone drunk and dancing around naked. But it's nice to be able to allow myself to take alcohol if it's offered to me, and not have to go into this big spiel about how I don't drink and blah blah blah...

And the best part of this thread here....now I've got more drink suggestions :grin:

Let's see here...

Tequila

Jack Daniels

Whiskey

Crown Royal

Smirnoff Cherry Vodka w/ Red Bull

Hmm, let's see how many of these I can knock off the list in the next week :scratch:

Kidding! :grin:

My favorite mixed drink is Jameson & Ginger. One part Jameson (Irish Whiskey), one part Ginger Ale.

There's also two things you have to try at least once: a proper old school gin martini (gin, not vodka), and a Long Island Iced Tea.

And if you're interested in beer, do yourself a favor and stay away from that awful American pisswater (Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Pabst, etc.). If you're gonna get a beer gut it may as well be from the good stuff.

Oi! Bud's one of my favourite beers!

I knew a fellow from Newcastle once. He said that on his 18th birthday his mates brought a giant case of Miller beer. At the time, it was being marketed a whole lot in England as cool American beer. So he drank a bunch of it and got horribly ill. And then, he spouted one of the classic lines he was known for:

"The bottom fell outta me world... an' the world fell outta me bottom."

Oi! Bud's one of my favourite beers!

One of your favourite beverages, perhaps. Bud is not beer. It is, as stated above, carbonated pisswater.

;)

To be fair to the States, though, it has recently experienced an explosion of outstanding microbrews. I just had some Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA a couple weeks ago and it is OUTSTANDING. One can't automatically dismiss American beer anymore.

American macrobrews, yes, by all means, dismiss them.

I like Arrogant Bastard (not only because the name fits me), Stone's the Christmas double, and the yearly Russian Stout are beyond words... and there's one called Dead Mans Ale. All of them on the heavier side, and both American. There are plenty of very good American beers nowadays, but like SG said, it's not macrobrews, but usually made by the smaller breweries. (I changed my avatar to signify my support for Stone Brewery, San Diego I think. :) )

(Sorry, Not Dead Man's Ale, but Dead Guy's Ale, from Rouge Ales, Portland. They got several really good brews, some heavy stouts that makes your hair twirl)

Cool.

Just be careful when you drink. I go by the rule of thumb, always eat something when I drink, otherwise I'll absorb all the alcohol and fall asleep. And never ever drive if you even think you might fall asleep.

Personally, I <3 red wine.

My advice to a new to drinking adult is: once you start drinking stick to that type of alcohol. In other words if you are drinking a rum drink don't switch to beer or tequila. Also, before you go to bed drink lots and lots of water. Eating a good dinner before drinking is a good idea too. I drink either beer and not cheapo American pisswater, or a captain and mt dew, or vodka and cran, vodka and redbull, or a white russian (vodka, kahlua, and milk). But once I start I stick to whatever liquor I started with. This helps me avoid hangovers and getting sick.

You know, it's funny. Back as a Christian, part of my dealio with not drinking at all was that I had convinced myself that I was a guy who tended to do things "to excess". I thought that if I drank once, then everything would go downhill, as I'd be likely to just keep going and going until the bottle and I were best buds. But as of more recently, I realized.........you know what? I'm like the most self-controlled person I know... :shrug:

Gosh, I could have typed the exact same thing about myself...

And the best part of this thread here....now I've got more drink suggestions :grin:

Let's see here...

Tequila

Jack Daniels

Whiskey

Crown Royal

Smirnoff Cherry Vodka w/ Red Bull

On Friday night, I went to a queer club, and one of my friends offered to buy be a few drinks (well, I gave her the money for them) since I'm still 20. I had my first white russian, and it was excellent. I highly recommend trying that one when you get the chance (unless you dislike lattes, in which case, don't bother). All in all, that was a pretty fun night, despite my broken foot.

You guys gotta try North Coast Brewing Co. They make Red Seal Ale and Acme California Pale Ale... two of the best fuckin' beers ever. The best beer I've ever had in my life was in Prague... it was called Hladinka. It's... unpasteurized. Heaviest shit ever, but oh so velvety smooth... it was like the nectar of the Slavic pagan gods!!!!!

Cool.

Just be careful when you drink. I go by the rule of thumb, always eat something when I drink, otherwise I'll absorb all the alcohol and fall asleep. And never ever drive if you even think you might fall asleep.

Personally, I <3 red wine.

Eating is cheating. :wicked:

I like Arrogant Bastard (not only because the name fits me), Stone's the Christmas double, and the yearly Russian Stout are beyond words... and there's one called Dead Mans Ale. All of them on the heavier side, and both American. There are plenty of very good American beers nowadays, but like SG said, it's not macrobrews, but usually made by the smaller breweries. (I changed my avatar to signify my support for Stone Brewery, San Diego I think. :) )

(Sorry, Not Dead Man's Ale, but Dead Guy's Ale, from Rouge Ales, Portland. They got several really good brews, some heavy stouts that makes your hair twirl)

San Marcos, actually. I live half an hour up the US15 from there. I LOOOOVE Stone Brewery's IPA, but ABA is way to hoppy for me. I really loves me a good, dark malty stout! All the stores hereabouts carry Stone Brewery. :woohoo:

Life is too short to drink bad beer!

congrats jeff...if you ever want any info on some good alcohol to start with just let me know...i wont lead you wrong.

next time, get about three smirnoffs...finish them within an hours, might buzz you