Goodbye Jesus

21 Years Of Dry Life Just Ended

Jeff H

next time, get about three smirnoffs...finish them within an hours, might buzz you

Oh come now, come now... that's just a recipe for bad heartburn.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vomit Comet

• Vigile

• Jeff H

• gypsy79

Cool.

Just be careful when you drink. I go by the rule of thumb, always eat something when I drink, otherwise I'll absorb all the alcohol and fall asleep. And never ever drive if you even think you might fall asleep.

Personally, I <3 red wine.

Eating is cheating. :wicked:

It kills your buzz too. :sunny: :crazy:

OK Joke time!

What does drinking Bud light and having sex in a canoe have in common?

Both are fucking close to water!

I agree with all the suggestions of drinking fine American microbrews. Heck even Sam Adams is a decent American brew and not quite a macrobrew or what I lovingly refer to as megabrew swill. Still most people like their beer drinkable (i.e. less flavor), hence the success of beers like Bud light. I was a home brewer for over a decade and stopped only because I was enjoying it too much. So I've come out the other side of the drinking experience. I'll drink perhaps a six pack per month, except during Oktoberfest season (I really like the Maerzen style) and of course the holidays (gotta fortify myself against all that xtianity).

The suggestion to drink plenty of water is a good one for anyone seeking to avoid the worst repercussions of drinking. Alcohol is a powerful diuretic and can seriously dehydrate you. Replacing the water during drinking is a good idea (in other words don't just wait til bed time).

Cheers,

Steve

I like Arrogant Bastard (not only because the name fits me), Stone's the Christmas double, and the yearly Russian Stout are beyond words... and there's one called Dead Mans Ale. All of them on the heavier side, and both American. There are plenty of very good American beers nowadays, but like SG said, it's not macrobrews, but usually made by the smaller breweries. (I changed my avatar to signify my support for Stone Brewery, San Diego I think. :) )

(Sorry, Not Dead Man's Ale, but Dead Guy's Ale, from Rouge Ales, Portland. They got several really good brews, some heavy stouts that makes your hair twirl)

San Marcos, actually. I live half an hour up the US15 from there. I LOOOOVE Stone Brewery's IPA, but ABA is way to hoppy for me. I really loves me a good, dark malty stout! All the stores hereabouts carry Stone Brewery. :woohoo:

Life is too short to drink bad beer!

That bears repeating. Life is too short to drink bad beer!

Microbrew is the way to go! If you ever make it to Michigan, look for anything made by the Bell's Brewing Company, Arcadia Brewing Co., or Founder's. Bell's makes at least three different varieties of stout, and their Expedition Stout is the single best beer I have ever had in my life. It looks like tar in a glass and has enough flavor to kill most Budweiser drinkers. $15.99 plus deposit for a single six-pack, but it's the best 17 bucks you'll spend on beer in your life!

I like Arrogant Bastard (not only because the name fits me), Stone's the Christmas double, and the yearly Russian Stout are beyond words... and there's one called Dead Mans Ale. All of them on the heavier side, and both American. There are plenty of very good American beers nowadays, but like SG said, it's not macrobrews, but usually made by the smaller breweries. (I changed my avatar to signify my support for Stone Brewery, San Diego I think. :) )

(Sorry, Not Dead Man's Ale, but Dead Guy's Ale, from Rouge Ales, Portland. They got several really good brews, some heavy stouts that makes your hair twirl)

San Marcos, actually. I live half an hour up the US15 from there. I LOOOOVE Stone Brewery's IPA, but ABA is way to hoppy for me. I really loves me a good, dark malty stout! All the stores hereabouts carry Stone Brewery. :woohoo:

I'll give a third to this. I had some Stone for the first time the other day. This is some seriously well made ale. It ranks up there with some of the best I've ever had and I've been around the world sampling way more than my share.

There's a Czech beer served at some bars in St Petersburg called Velvet that's pretty damn good too. It is gas infused and it's so creamy and smooth that it goes down like water and gives you a nice euphoria rather than the heavy feeling some beer gives. I'm definately going to miss some of the microbrews I've been sampling here in the US though.

San Marcos, actually. I live half an hour up the US15 from there. I LOOOOVE Stone Brewery's IPA, but ABA is way to hoppy for me. I really loves me a good, dark malty stout! All the stores hereabouts carry Stone Brewery.

IPA is good too, it depends on my mood. For drinking together with food for instance. I drink quite heavy, hoppy, and dark beers. There's one that I only drink occasionally, I think it's called Viscosity, I have to check. But it's black as coffee. But all the dark and heavy beers are the ones I enjoy later in the evening, while watching TV and smoking a pipe or cigar. Dark beer is enjoyed as a good wine, not to gulp down to quench the thirst. It's rather to quench the thirst of the soul. :grin:

Amen to that!

A month ago, or so, we had a little poker party, and we drank different kinds of dark beers, ate some bratwursts (with different seasoning), and had Kettler's chips (they have a whole bunch of interesting seasoning now). Oh man! Was that good!!! It was the food of Heaven!

Microbrew is the way to go! If you ever make it to Michigan, look for anything made by the Bell's Brewing Company, Arcadia Brewing Co., or Founder's. Bell's makes at least three different varieties of stout, and their Expedition Stout is the single best beer I have ever had in my life. It looks like tar in a glass and has enough flavor to kill most Budweiser drinkers. $15.99 plus deposit for a single six-pack, but it's the best 17 bucks you'll spend on beer in your life!

I recognize the names. Next time at Bevmo, I will look for them.

What does drinking Bud light and having sex in a canoe have in common?

My brother's favorite joke: How do you make Bud? Drink some Guiness and wait an hour.

Another Stout joke:

Executives for Guiness, Coors, and Heineken get together in a British pub to discuss business. The pub man takes their orders.

The Coors CEO orders a Coors. The Heineken exec orders a Heineken. When he takes the order of the Guiness exec he orders a tea.

Confused, the other two execs ask "don't you want to order a Guiness?" His response, "well, if you guys aren't going to have a beer I figured I wouldn't either."

The suggestion to drink plenty of water is a good one for anyone seeking to avoid the worst repercussions of drinking. Alcohol is a powerful diuretic and can seriously dehydrate you. Replacing the water during drinking is a good idea (in other words don't just wait til bed time).

Also, eat a lot while you are drinking and just don't go overboard in general. There is nothing glamerous about binging unless you find spending a few hours at the toilette wishing for an early death. There's a lot to be said for moderation that has nothing to do with morality and has a lot to do with maturity and a much more pleasurable existance.

I like the Italian attitude about drinking. They tend to look down on those who can't handle their alcohol. They drink every day but I've never seen an Italian go overboard. In fact they will sit around their wine glass for hours in deep discussion while the wine is allowed to breathe properly. They consider German tourists, who are known for binging and raging and puking cliche' and banal. No offense to the Germans, but they have to admit that some of them get a little wily when on vacation at the Italian Riviera.

And the big surprise, Italians don't have a drinking age yet they have virtually no problem with alcohol abuse.

Both are fucking close to water!

Give me a glass of water any day of the week over that putrid froth.

The Italians think that even more about the English and the Swedish. (They also think Swedish girls are especially promiscuous; Italian guys will line up for miles to get their turn when a bunch of female Swedes are down there for some hen party or something.) It's something about the sunshine and the warm water that makes them go all crazy, they say. Also, the stereotype of Austrians (which is their neighbor to the north) is a bunch of howling tourists on a party boat tootling around the Adriatic, hooting and hollering at anyone having a swim or on the beach. I never heard too much about Germans from Germany.

I've been drinking ever since I was a child. My parents and other relatives always gave me a sip of wine or beer. Never liked beer though. I've got extensive experience with drinking, though not intensive... I never got drunk (one time really close to drunk when I took 5 vodka glasses on an empty stomach, couldn't move or stand for about 30 minutes... I lied down and it went away).

Part of that is, because I don't really like the taste of alcohol. The other parts are that I've never needed to prove myself to anyone, never drank much at partys or when depressed (chocolate helped!).

I'm Romanian, and we have this tradition with really strong drinks, tuica or palinca (70%-90% alcohol), my grandparents still brew them at home. So, I've got experience with those too, but although they're like acid in my mouth an throat, and the buzz isn't really... I don't know, euphoric. It isn't.

Cocktails are what make a pretty nice buzz.

But, whatever you do, drink RESPONSIBLY!

When I was in the Balkans, it was grappa every night. The good stuff is divine, the bad stuff is like cough syrup mixed with battery acid. *blech*

The Italians think that even more about the English and the Swedish. (They also think Swedish girls are especially promiscuous; Italian guys will line up for miles to get their turn when a bunch of female Swedes are down there for some hen party or something.) It's something about the sunshine and the warm water that makes them go all crazy, they say. Also, the stereotype of Austrians (which is their neighbor to the north) is a bunch of howling tourists on a party boat tootling around the Adriatic, hooting and hollering at anyone having a swim or on the beach. I never heard too much about Germans from Germany.

Gotta tell ya, the Italian guys have a good thing going. Northern girls just love them and when they go on vacation they are looking for some fun. I know this is absolutely true of the Russians.

BTW, vacation ideas for single guys, head for the Russian hotspots because Russian dyevs are looking to let loose on their vacations. This includes Antalya Turkey, Red Sea Egypt, Goa India, Tunis and Cyprus.

When I was in the Balkans, it was grappa every night. The good stuff is divine, the bad stuff is like cough syrup mixed with battery acid. *blech*

That just means you didn't have the good stuff. Grappa rocks! I've seen stores in N Italy that sell 200+ varieties so I'm sure that there is a wide differential in quality and type.

I used to stop in at the corner bar and warm up with dollar shots of grappa on cold days in Torino. The stuff is euphoric but you definately want to drink it in moderation.

I'm Romanian, and we have this tradition with really strong drinks, tuica or palinca (70%-90% alcohol),

Is that like Russian/Ukrainian samagon?

Oh, I had plenty of good grappa. When I was in Slovenia I kept getting homemade stuff from nearby farmers. And in every flavor imagineable! As I said, the good stuff is divine. Well, from what I saw, the Slovenes are better at making it than the Croatians. Hard-pressed to find comparable grappa down there.

I tried grappa in Greece and it just seemed reminiscent of incredibly cheap and tasteless vodka.

And I think I've figured out the reason that the Budweiser I drink doesn't taste like the pisswasser you're all talking about. Apparently the stuff we get in the UK is different and actually tastes marginally better.

It's weird reading these comments and hearing you all talking about the legal drinking age being twenty-one. Over in Britain it's eighteen and, having just come of age, I actually find it difficult to imagine another three years of scrounging IDs of my older friends. A few weeks ago there was a vote in the Scottish Parliament about the possibility of raising the age at which people could buy in off-sales to twenty-one. Unsurprisingly, it was overturned when people realised how unpopular it was going to be. Surprisingly, the party that put the motion forward was one which draws much of it's support from young voters, yet recently seems to be doing their very best to alienate them.

Politics...

Oh, I had plenty of good grappa. When I was in Slovenia I kept getting homemade stuff from nearby farmers. And in every flavor imagineable! As I said, the good stuff is divine. Well, from what I saw, the Slovenes are better at making it than the Croatians. Hard-pressed to find comparable grappa down there.

Sorry VC, I just failed your reading comprehension test.

And I think I've figured out the reason that the Budweiser I drink doesn't taste like the pisswasser you're all talking about. Apparently the stuff we get in the UK is different and actually tastes marginally better.

As I understand it Budweiser is the true Czech brand. The Americans stole the brand but have now been required to call the pisswater they make simply "Bud." We get the Czech stuff in Russia and it's not bad at all.

Britain it's eighteen

It used to be 19 when I was 19. American pols are heavily influenced by lobbiests and the laws tend toward the most constrictive people will put up with.

Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) is probably most to blame for the drinking age laws.

A good example of how politics in this country works is how our prosecutors and judges are elected. Those with the strongest records of getting strong convictions with harsh sentencing are seen by the public as ideal. Admitting they are wrong is never an option and lenient sentencing is seen as a sign of weakness.

My dad opposes the drinking age being 21, and sent me off to college at age 18 with quite a lot of wine as a private protest (of course, I had to keep it well hidden, so it wasn't really that much of a protest). The age was originally increased to 21 in an attempt to reduce DWI's (drunken driving). As far as I can tell, it had the opposite effect. When will lawmakers realize that the "forbidden fruit" is also the most desired one. In my opinion, that money would have been much better spent on improving public transportation, so that people don't need to drive home.

In my opinion, that money would have been much better spent on improving public transportation, so that people don't need to drive home.

Lame zoning laws are also responsible in many cities. In the old days you had "neighborhood bars" that were staggering distance from home. Now you have to drive for miles to get to a bar.

Also, public transportation running all night also helps, but only if your city isn't a vast tangled nightmare of sprawl. In Dublin they have the "drunk line" that runs until 6 a.m. In L.A. that doesn't work because most the weekend crowd has to take two or three different freeways to get to where the cool stuff is.

What? You mean you guys didn't have parents that offered you "just a sip" during Christmas or whatever? And what about that cheap-ass box wine you got at church? Well, maybe you went to one of those churches that didn't do the Holy Communion thing, or used grape juice instead. But even that would suggest that you at least grew up in a group of closet alcoholics......so if you tell me you never drank once in your childhood, you're dyin' 'cause you're lyin'.

Actually, I think those early "sips" are what kept me from becoming an alcoholic to begin with. If you did taste alcohol as a kid, it tasted so nasty (the wine) or, with other liquors, was like a fire going down your throat. So I didn't much look forward to it.

What? You mean you guys didn't have parents that offered you "just a sip" during Christmas or whatever?

Oddly enough, even though we were extremely fundie Southern Baptists, mine did this quite often when I was a young child (not in a bad way, just a sip or two). I think it was their way of trying to show me how awful it was so I wouldn't drink when I was older. The sips stopped when I hit middle school, but they probably should have continued since I never learned how to deal with alcohol properly and became a huge binge drinker in my twenties. When will people learn to teach their children moderation?

And I agree with many of the other posts -- US zoning laws are ridiculous and although I have hope that they will continue changing, I am sure it will be a very long, sloooowwww process. Public transportation is awful even in many major cities and what is with stupid towing rules? If you have too much to drink at a bar and decide to leave your car and take a cab home, it is rarely easy to find a place where you can park it for a long period of time with no danger of towing. Who cares if I leave my car all day Saturday or Sunday in the parking lot of a business that is closed on the weekends? Geez. *End rant.*

i consumed extremely large quantities of alcohol at different stages of my life, and was quite proud to give up completely when i became a christian at age 40. now 20 yrs later, even though i stopped being a christian a year ago (hey thats gone fast, whaddayaknow, its one year since i joined here!) i still dont drink. i forget why i dont drink, now. whenever i do think, hey i could have a drink, something still stops me. anyway, it doesnt matter as i dont miss it now.

I do think the way American culture treats alchohol as a forbidden fruit is what leads to a lot of binge drinking. The same thing happens with diets -- make any food forbidden and eventually people will pig out on it because they haven't had it in so long. I think a lot of that stems from religious mentality; i.e. let's forbid people from stuff cause it's "evil". If we could just teach kids self-control from the get go, I think it would solve a lot of our cultural problems.

And I agree with many of the other posts -- US zoning laws are ridiculous and although I have hope that they will continue changing, I am sure it will be a very long, sloooowwww process. Public transportation is awful even in many major cities and what is with stupid towing rules? If you have too much to drink at a bar and decide to leave your car and take a cab home, it is rarely easy to find a place where you can park it for a long period of time with no danger of towing. Who cares if I leave my car all day Saturday or Sunday in the parking lot of a business that is closed on the weekends? Geez. *End rant.*

Yeah I agree, towing cars from bars only discourages people from doing the right thing and calling a cab.