Goodbye Jesus

21 Years Of Dry Life Just Ended

Jeff H

Jeff,

Next time you go out for a bump, get it at a stripper bar. Then you'll get a buzz.

chef

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vomit Comet

• Vigile

• Jeff H

• gypsy79

Lol I go away for a few days, and come back to like a gazillion replies. Apparently you've all got a lot to say about alcohol. Unfortunately you've all lost me completely with all your foreign beers haha :P

At any rate, I haven't drunk anything since, but I really don't plan on doing it often anyways. I'm still in school, and I have better things to waste my money on....

But at any rate, I just had one post that I'll comment on:

What? You mean you guys didn't have parents that offered you "just a sip" during Christmas or whatever? And what about that cheap-ass box wine you got at church? Well, maybe you went to one of those churches that didn't do the Holy Communion thing, or used grape juice instead. But even that would suggest that you at least grew up in a group of closet alcoholics......so if you tell me you never drank once in your childhood, you're dyin' 'cause you're lyin'.

Actually, I think those early "sips" are what kept me from becoming an alcoholic to begin with. If you did taste alcohol as a kid, it tasted so nasty (the wine) or, with other liquors, was like a fire going down your throat. So I didn't much look forward to it.

Nope. I came from a Pentecostal church, and as I mentioned in the OP, drinking of any kind was "strongly discouraged", if you will. If you ever asked anyone, they'd say that the Bible only says not to get drunk, and so drinking in moderation is fine....it's just that nobody does it. Neither my immediate nor my extended families drink at all. Ever. Not at Christmas, not at Easter, not at Thanksgiving. No wine, no beer, no hard liquor. The only one that might is my one cousin who has "left the faith" and has vowed never to step inside a church again. He might, but I don't really talk to him a whole lot, as he has kind of distanced himself from the family in recent years.

But at any rate, I agree with you...when cultures display alcohol (or sex, or drugs, or whatever else) as a "forbidden fruit", it makes it so much more desirable to kids. They're more likely to experiment at a younger age, and more likely to go overboard with it as well. Moderation in everything is the key. But although I've been sheltered from it, I think I self-deluded myself well enough to keep me from seeing it as a pleasurable thing. The fact that I got older and convinced myself is what did it I think. I needed to drink just to get away from that, but now that I've done it....well, I've got better things to do with my time and money. But it's nice to know that I can take a drink now if it's offered :)