Sign in to follow this  
Guest awake now

The Light At The End Of A Long Tunnel.

Guest awake now

I'm going to make this short as I'm short on time.

I became a Christian when I was about 5 years old. Yes, I remember this vividly and I was very conscious of my decision and what I was doing based on the information my mother gave me.

I allowed myself, as any child does, to be "spoon fed" whatever portions of the bible I apparently needed to know, and was, of course, not given any of the "unpleasantries". I was into it with all my heart (and soul, if there is one). I remember going to bible camp and vacation bible school and loving it. I totally bought into the "peace" and "love" parts and simply couldn't comprehend that it was about anything else.

I was always very liberal. And just got more liberal the older I got. This resulted in me seeing many Christian as hypocrites. In my early twenties I realized I simply could not swallow the idea of this "hell" place and determined, based on some research, that it was simply a human concoction. I then started concluding that MUCH of the bible was human concoction and nonsense.

Once I realized I did not believe in hell, it made no sense that I needed to be "saved" from it by the "son of god". Then, after numerous attempts to do so, I decided to sit down and REALLY read the bible, ALL OF IT, since I knew so little of it. That pretty much finished off the unraveling process. In fact, I didn't even get very far. About three chapters in to the OT I wanted to just fling it across the room.

I still clung the "loving god" idea because I just wasn't able to let go of it all at once. But, now that I understand the bible, in its entirety is simply a book with little to no historical accuracy, written by tribal men of so long ago, with very outdated ideas, it's kind of hard to cling to the god idea. If you take away the bible, then what evidence is there of a god?

I can't say there is NO god, but I certainly can't say there IS based on anything I've experienced. Same would apply to pink unicorns and leprachauns.

Hello, Awake! Welcme to the boards. Just joined myself yesterday. Hell was one of my biggest reasons for leaving the faith, too. Amazing how easy it becomes to leave Christianity once one actually starts reading the Bible (objectively, that is).

Guest awake now

Hi Rosy (is it okay if I calll you that?)

I read your testimony yesterday. Thanks for responding!

You can call me Ginger, that's my actual name.

Hey welcome aboard :)

Guest Net Eng

Welcome to Ex-C Awake.

Reading the bible all the way through (and researching its origins) tipped the scale for me as well.

Hi Rosy (is it okay if I calll you that?)

I read your testimony yesterday. Thanks for responding!

You can call me Ginger, that's my actual name.

Nice to meet you, Ginger. Sure, Rosy is fine.

Welcome.

BTW, I read the friggin bible numerous times all the way through..I keep seeing that many didnt even read it.

I was too indoctrinated BEFORE I read it unfortunately, glad it wasnt the same for you.