Xtian Dress Code

Neon Genesis

Yesterday I was randomly flipping through the local newspaper out of boredom when I came across some article where xtians were debating about whether or not it was a sin to have tattoos. Some xtians were ok with it and didn't see the problem with having a tattoo, but other xtians thought it was sinful to have one. Their only excuses for why was to cherry pick some random verse in Leviticus they said that banded tattoos and some excuse that we humans are God's perfect creation and how we shouldn't damage God's image he created us in or something. I don't understand why xtians keep cherry picking Leviticus to support whatever hatred they have but you know 99% of them are going to go eat shrimp sometime in their life. The argument that we shouldn't damage our bodies because we're created in God's image is stupid too because what if you got a paper cut or something? If you're not supposed to damage God's creation, then are you sinning every time you get injured? Should xtians ban eating sweets because too much chocolate can be unhealthy and damage your body? I've seen this demonizing of appearances growing up as a xtian. They would always preach about how we shouldn't judge people by their appearances but then they turn around and make it a sin if men have long hair and they never explained why men couldn't have long hair. The closest to an explanation I ever got was that women were expected to look like women and men were expected to look like men.

Yet they certainly had no problems with Jesus having long hair in all those movies and artwork with him in but the men who are followers of Jesus can't have long hair for no real reason. My church also held men and women to different standards when it came to dress code. Like women could wear pants, have short hair and act tomboyish but men couldn't even have long hair. Even if the man otherwise dressed and acted like a stereotypical man, if he had long hair, he was damned to hell yet women could wear pants and have short hair all they want expect on Sunday mornings. For some reason, women could wear pants the rest of the week but were considered improper on Sunday mornings. No explanation was given for this either expect that for some unknown reason, women were expected to wear dresses on Sunday mornings because obviously God cares more about the dress code on one day of the week out of the rest of the week. Then they would turn around and frankly ignore NT commandments about how women should wear veils and not wear jewelry, so when the NT actually gives a commandment about dress code, they ignore it. While reading that article, I just kept thinking why all this really matters. With all the bigger, more important crisis that are going on in the world, why does it matter if somebody gets a tattoo? And aren't xtians supposed to be non-materialistic? Isn't materialistic in itself for xtians to keep demonizing people's appearances?

Control, control, control...that's what it's all about.

• Super Moderator

I like to see them argue among themselves as to what Christians should do. When they're busy with that, they aren't devising ways to dictate how the rest of us should behave.

The verse in Leviticus says, "do not cut yourself for the dead." And yet this is used for all tattoos, even though I would say that a good 50% of the tattoos I've seen on others (and my own) are for the people wearing them, not for the dead. And if the argument for harming "God's temple" were true, then as you said a whole lot of things go out the window like makeup (can clog your pores), sunbathing or any form a tanning (may lead to cancer), playing sports (You could get injured), eating (you could get obsese...until the point where it become absurd.

And I've noticed a lot (perhaps because I am female and hence more sensitive to these things) that the restrictions on dress for females is often longer than for males, and maybe it it because females have more clothing options, following your line of thought. But males can wear any sort of pants or shorts (provided the aren't pink short shorts) and almost any sort of shirt. But with females you have a long list of what is inappropriate; short shorts, neckline two inches below the collarbone, blah bah blah. And there is a lot of hypocrisy about it too. Two years ago at my college there was a push to get a dress code b/c some boys thought that girls in sports bras, short skirts or whatever were not Christian and lead them to lust but whenever I asked whether the different mens sports should be allowed to practice or condition shirtless they said "That's different"...yeah, because I totally don't stare and drool over attractive shirtless men :rolleyes:

The argument that we shouldn't damage our bodies because we're created in God's image is stupid too because what if you got a paper cut or something?

My xian parents damaged my body when they told the doc to take a scalpel and slice the end of my holy penis off. If I'm made in god's image that means he's anatomically correct, unlike my old GI Joe. Wonder if god is circumcised. Wonder what he uses that sucker for. :shrug:

Few billion people around, killing each other, starving, trying to stay alive, and an omnipotent gawd has time to worry about whether I need a haircut? That's dedication (and the origin of multi-tasking, I assume.)

Wonder what he uses that sucker for.

All dressed up and nowhere to go.:P

I like to see them argue among themselves as to what Christians should do. When they're busy with that, they aren't devising ways to dictate how the rest of us should behave.

That's the best post I've read in ages!!! :)

Do you remember the debate in The Name of the Rose: Did Jesus own the clothes he wore? Let's get the world Christian community started on that one to keep them out of our hair.

Quite often I worked weekends, job required a 24/7 crew to ensure concrete construction went according to schedule.

(Big pours, thousands of yards of slurry do not stop for religious works or weekends)

I'd show up for Sunday evening services, drop tool belt, take off hardhat, and sometimes unlace my steel toes boots, walk in, sit down..

You may have figured I left a steaming pile of feces on the preacher's breakfast flakes from look given by my fellows...

After a bit, got to point that I'd go get in the faces of the biggest gossipers, and remind them publicly that "My tithe pays for your seat in this place, along with most of rest of congregation". "Our Pastor's wage is a major part of what I donate to this place."

Fools got so tied up how they looked and how pretty they were for each other...

Guess honest sweat and toil, bit of construction dust pissed them off.

Oh well, when windstorm blew roof off 'god's house', guess who was NOT available to reroof the place? That and the plumbing went to hell when winter went on a touch longer than the power bill could be paid?

Seems when they piss off their guy with Trades skilled people, and he leaves, no one in that Perfumed Section has one fucking iota of how to fix shit.

When I left that litte spot of GoHwdZ FrozEN Ch0ZeNN foLkz I left a herd of incompetent unabled people who while dressing nicely for derLard were not evolved into tool using mankees..

kevin, AccomplishedToolUsingMankeebot, Fuckin'L

And the funny thing is, when WE use OT material to point out how irrational the belief system is....they switch gears all of a sudden claiming

"Oh no, no, no...you don't understand....the blatantly irrational, sexist, racist, pro-slavery laws are no more because Jesus fulfilled the Law when he died! So all that OT stuff is over, outdated, and defunct....unless we are arguing amongst ourselves, and suddenly *poof* *some* of those laws apply again...excepting of course the silly shellfish laws (because I love seafood). But since I have no interest in, say, tattoos...of COURSE we aren't supposed to have them anyway, and if you do, you are going to Hell. See? It all makes perfect sense, and is the Perfect Will of Me....I mean...God."

Guest QuidEstCaritas?
And the funny thing is, when WE use OT material to point out how irrational the belief system is....they switch gears all of a sudden claiming

"Oh no, no, no...you don't understand....the blatantly irrational, sexist, racist, pro-slavery laws are no more because Jesus fulfilled the Law when he died! So all that OT stuff is over, outdated, and defunct....unless we are arguing amongst ourselves, and suddenly *poof* *some* of those laws apply again...excepting of course the silly shellfish laws (because I love seafood). But since I have no interest in, say, tattoos...of COURSE we aren't supposed to have them anyway, and if you do, you are going to Hell. See? It all makes perfect sense, and is the Perfect Will of Me....I mean...God."

God.

What you just wrote is so very fucking true. It is an illustration of how conservatives cherry pick too, it's not only liberals that do that. Just disgusting.

Wonder if god is circumcised. Wonder what he uses that sucker for. :shrug:

Ya, what is the point of God being a guy if there is no Mrs God? God must be an it, like GI Joe. So like Joe it's only good for war. That's why God is mad at hippies. Make love not war leaves it out.

Guest QuidEstCaritas?
Wonder if god is circumcised. Wonder what he uses that sucker for. :shrug:

Ya, what is the point of God being a guy if there is no Mrs God? God must be an it, like GI Joe. So like Joe it's only good for war. That's why God is mad at hippies. Make love not war leaves it out.

Hahahhahahaha

But with females you have a long list of what is inappropriate; short shorts, neckline two inches below the collarbone, blah bah blah. And there is a lot of hypocrisy about it too. Two years ago at my college there was a push to get a dress code b/c some boys thought that girls in sports bras, short skirts or whatever were not Christian and lead them to lust but whenever I asked whether the different mens sports should be allowed to practice or condition shirtless they said "That's different"...yeah, because I totally don't stare and drool over attractive shirtless men :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, back in college when I was in the christian mindset I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever stopped and looked at the men's soccer team practicing with their shirts off. Oh no, not me.

Many christians don't think that women lust over men. I've heard that argument WAY to many times that it's the WOMEN who need to be careful about what we wear because being too sexy is mean to men, but men can pretty much safely do whatever.

Sad.

Anyway...

Back when I was a church goer, if you didn't show up in very nice clothes you got nasty looks and people talking about you behind your backs all the time. I remember these people coming in who obviously were poor, and they had on old jeans, t-shirts, and looked kind of messy. You'd figure the church would be happy to have some new people, no?

Not a DAMN person shook their hands or spoke to them, except me.

Nobody seemed to care when they didn't come back the following week, but if there were new people in their new suits and Liz Claiborne dresses they got 100 handshakes before they could even leave.

Back when I was a church goer, if you didn't show up in very nice clothes you got nasty looks and people talking about you behind your backs all the time. I remember these people coming in who obviously were poor, and they had on old jeans, t-shirts, and looked kind of messy. You'd figure the church would be happy to have some new people, no?

Not a DAMN person shook their hands or spoke to them, except me.

Nobody seemed to care when they didn't come back the following week, but if there were new people in their new suits and Liz Claiborne dresses they got 100 handshakes before they could even leave.

Before I de-converted, I came to a Russian church special Easter event once dressed in blue jeans and white sneakers. They usually are dressed very nicely. I had been to the church many times before with my dress clothes on, and knew several families. But this time, they acted like "Hey, I think a non-believer actually came to see our play!" And they kept looking expectantly when it came time for the altar call. I just smiled and sat there. Afterward when the people I knew were crowding around me, I think it dawned on the rest who I was and that I wasn't "under conviction" for the play they had just done.

I think their is some verse about peircing the skin but what about getting shots? I guess people with diseases where they have to take medicine is going to hell and Why can women wear earings?

I always hated the church dress code and wondered why jesus got to walk around in a robe but church people got to wear annoying button up shirts, a tie winch feels like a noose, tucked in shirt it's all very uncomfortable.

Also for some reason you can't wear a cap in church.

For some reason this God who made Adam and Eve nude and Jesus walks in a robe suddenly wants people to wear expensive uncomfortable suits.

I don't even think the shit I just mentioned is even in the bible and it don't say anything about shorts.

People just find a verse and twist it too be against whatever they find unconfotable or if they support it find a verse for that.

I just thought of something Adam and Eve were perfect and before the fall were naked.

So this verse you could argue going to church naked lol

Reminds me of a (very true) song [line]: "'Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church; The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet." (Todd Agnew, "My Jesus") [oddly? enough, this song wouldn't be accepted in my former church either, probably because one of the words is "sluts," among other "problems"]

His hair may have been long and he probably wore a dress-like garment as well, oh no!

Yeah, I always got flak for shorts on Sunday morning. Apparently the fact my dad [a S. Baptist pastor] let me was lost on many. And never mind that I was a tomboy rather than a wannabe slut, so I wasn't revealing anything except that my legs were tanned (to an inch above the knee and an inch above the ankle :P). I had one woman give me $50 to go buy myself a dress for easter.

Isn't it wonderful how the church has taken care of the pressing problems of the world so they time to focus on this each and every week?

I remember many Sunday morning panic attacks as I tore through my closet trying to find something desent to wear. I went to a church that required hats for women so it was a pain trying to match both hat and shoes with a dress or skirt and blouse. I don't miss those days. I had to ask advise on color coordination. I didn't see expensive clothing though. We females all had long hair and wore no make-up. Now I'm a fan of the show, What not to Wear. I like to see people looking better than what they do. Let me explain. I work for Walmart. I see people coming to the store in their pajama pants and oversized, old tee shirts. These same people leave the store with a bag full of DVDs. They could have bought a desent outfit. My point? There should be some middle ground.

One of the reasons I hated going to church as a kid was having to wear the hot uncomfortable itchy church clothes. Dress shoes,slacks jacket, and a button up shirt. Man how I hated wearing those clothes and looked forward to getting home and getting out of them.

My church was conservative but when I was a teenager, we could wear "nice" jeans as long as they were clean and not ripped, and with a semi-dressy top and sneakers if they were clean.

I can't even wear sneakers to work on "casual" Friday now. My workplace has a more rigorous dress code and frankly reminds me of church more than any past job I've ever had. I think it's mostly the attitudes of the permanent people, though, and the negative reinforcement when crunch time rolls around.

I think their is some verse about peircing the skin but what about getting shots? I guess people with diseases where they have to take medicine is going to hell and Why can women wear earings?

Far out!!

Glad someone bought this up.

5 weeks after I left home I got my ears peirced, and now I'm going to get my immunizations done in a couple of weeks, but because my fuking parents beleived in 'divine healing' which, btw, does NOT work, I have to pay like over $150.00 NZ for some of my immunizations, just because I don't want to get Tetanus and die from it. Which is really stupid when I could have got them for free if I was under 15.

Todo with ear peircings I got annoyed when my mum stressed how wrong it was, and then I saw 90 % of the ladies in the church wearing them.

The xtians fight over obscure things that don't even matter.. what is their real purpose in life?? Must be to squabble with each other all the time!!!!!

Yea they either squabble at each other or people not in their cult.

Squabbling over ever little thing. It's a sad purpose in life.

I can't stand faith healing churches there have been so many reports of people dying that they thought would be healed.

I can't stand faith healing churches there have been so many reports of people dying that they thought would be healed.

Sounds like the last nine years of my life. I followed and strongly promoted a man that claimed every kind of miracle including raising the dead several times. His closest followers claim the same things. But every person I know that they prayed for stayed in their wheelchairs or kept being sick and ended up dying. But his group doesn't tolerate any back-talk, and they despise anyone claiming to follow Christ that doesn't live as "committed" as they do. Very angry people. All the time angry. I'm glad to be done with them.

If you ever saw the Brad Pitt film about Jesse James, Pitt's character was almost exactly like this preacher I followed, except for the overt murders. Extroverted exterior covering a seething cold fury. And the vicious and intolerant attitude of the Bible's King of Heaven fit his personality just right. Many charismaniacs exalt this man as a modern apostle, doing the miracles of Jesus. They tremble and fall under his touch, but where are the healings? He'll tell the next church about all the healings done in your church while he was there, and collect a lot of money. But check the videos of the services and ask around for those that were healed of real ailments. Nothing... Try to find the powerful witch coven he says he confronted in a large German church, that ended up falling at his feet begging to be saved. Check the videos from that church's services and you find... Nothing. All made up. But I think these guys really do believe it, just like a lot of us believed in the Bible even when we knew it justified terrible evil in the name of good.

Part of me wants to cry for the lost time and money, and the many thousands of people putting their trust in the stories he tells, only to be continually disappointed. The rest of me is angry at being tricked for so long, and helping others to be tricked. But I shelve it all and go on with life.

Sounds like the last nine years of my life. I followed and strongly promoted a man that claimed every kind of miracle including raising the dead several times. His closest followers claim the same things. But every person I know that they prayed for stayed in their wheelchairs or kept being sick and ended up dying. But his group doesn't tolerate any back-talk, and they despise anyone claiming to follow Christ that doesn't live as "committed" as they do. Very angry people. All the time angry. I'm glad to be done with them.

If you ever saw the Brad Pitt film about Jesse James, Pitt's character was almost exactly like this preacher I followed, except for the overt murders. Extroverted exterior covering a seething cold fury. And the vicious and intolerant attitude of the Bible's King of Heaven fit his personality just right. Many charismaniacs exalt this man as a modern apostle, doing the miracles of Jesus. They tremble and fall under his touch, but where are the healings? He'll tell the next church about all the healings done in your church while he was there, and collect a lot of money. But check the videos of the services and ask around for those that were healed of real ailments. Nothing... Try to find the powerful witch coven he says he confronted in a large German church, that ended up falling at his feet begging to be saved. Check the videos from that church's services and you find... Nothing. All made up. But I think these guys really do believe it, just like a lot of us believed in the Bible even when we knew it justified terrible evil in the name of good.

Part of me wants to cry for the lost time and money, and the many thousands of people putting their trust in the stories he tells, only to be continually disappointed. The rest of me is angry at being tricked for so long, and helping others to be tricked. But I shelve it all and go on with life.

Sounds like them Televangelists on TBN they got an advantage cause the people at one church probably didn't go to the other one.

I can't stand how they deceive people and ask for their money it's sick.

Just be glad your out of that mess before it got too late.

The pain and anger will go away soon

It's sad all those people wasting their life and money on televangelists when they could be using that money to enjoy life.

Quite often I worked weekends, job required a 24/7 crew to ensure concrete construction went according to schedule.

(Big pours, thousands of yards of slurry do not stop for religious works or weekends)

I'd show up for Sunday evening services, drop tool belt, take off hardhat, and sometimes unlace my steel toes boots, walk in, sit down..

You may have figured I left a steaming pile of feces on the preacher's breakfast flakes from look given by my fellows...

After a bit, got to point that I'd go get in the faces of the biggest gossipers, and remind them publicly that "My tithe pays for your seat in this place, along with most of rest of congregation". "Our Pastor's wage is a major part of what I donate to this place."

Fools got so tied up how they looked and how pretty they were for each other...

Oh well, when windstorm blew roof off 'god's house', guess who was NOT available to reroof the place? That and the plumbing went to hell when winter went on a touch longer than the power bill could be paid?

Seems when they piss off their guy with Trades skilled people, and he leaves, no one in that Perfumed Section has one fucking iota of how to fix shit.

When I left that litte spot of GoHwdZ FrozEN Ch0ZeNN foLkz I left a herd of incompetent unabled people who while dressing nicely for derLard were not evolved into tool using mankees..

kevin, AccomplishedToolUsingMankeebot, Fuckin'L

Well, to quote Shakespeare's Harry Hotspur:

But I remember, when the fight was done,

When I was dry with rage and extreme toil,

Breathless and faint, leaning upon my sword,

Came there a certain lord, neat, and trimly dress’d,

Fresh as a bridegroom; and his chin new reap’d

Show’d like a stubble-land at harvest-home;

He was perfumed like a milliner ...

And as the soldiers bore dead bodies by,

He call’d them untaught knaves, unmannerly,

To bring a slovenly unhandsome corpse

Betwixt the wind and his nobility.

It's just as it says in Ecclesiastes, "There is nothing new under the sun".

Casey

You should see the dress codes some of the Christian schools around here have. One school requires fathers to approve their daughters' apparel. :eek:

When I went to church it was all different. The first 3 churches I went to demanded "church" clothes-- which for 6-10 year old girls meant dresses. Then I went to a different church at 11 and I was allowed to wear jeans to church, finally, if my clothes were clean and were dressy enough.

But then for every youth event it was "fingertip-length" shorts, one-piece bathing suits, shirts couldn't come down past this point, etc. etc. etc.