Goodbye Jesus

Ex-christian And Gay

Guest dmnemaine

Guest dmnemaine

Hi all,

Just to introduce myself, I'm David, and I've been an ex-christian for about 12 years. All of my immediate family is fundamentalist christian with a baptist background. I "accepted Christ" when I was about 7 or 8 years old at a church function for children called Vacation Bible School (in case it's not familiar to you). From then until the age of 32, I was very heavily involved in the church -- going to a christian school, singing in the choir, playing the piano for services, etc. I read the bible and prayed every day. I truly believed with all my heart that Jesus was the son of God, died for my sins, and rose again to free me from sin. The only problem was that I knew deep inside that I was physically attracted to other men. No amount of prayer or bible study helped me to lick it. I couldn't understand why God would promise that He'd help me to resist sin, and he wasn't helping me with that, because from what I could see in the bible, homosexuality was a sin, and I was taught that even the thought of homosexuality was a sin. I sublimated all this for a very long time until one day I finally had a major break through. My attraction for men was not something that I was choosing to harbor in my thoughts, it was an innate part of who I was. That started me wondering -- how could God call something a sin that I had no control over? The realization was a big blow for me. It was like suddenly finding out that a parent hated you because your hair color wasn't the right one. I simply could not rationalize God's claim of love with his claims that I was an abomination for something that clearly was not my fault. That's where my divergence from christianity began. Over the years, I've gone further and further from my roots. I would now definitely call myself an ex-christian and a non-theist.

Welcome David, and kudos for staying true to who you are and what makes you happy! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Deb

Welcome David. All the best on your journey.

Welcome the the forums, David.

If you've lurked here for very long, I suspect you'll have noticed that this is a gay-friendly board. (Hell, about one fourth of it is a gay board! :grin: )

Much suffering to LGBT folks has been caused by xianity, so relax here, and know you're among friends.

Hi all,

Just to introduce myself, I'm David, and I've been an ex-christian for about 12 years. All of my immediate family is fundamentalist christian with a baptist background. I "accepted Christ" when I was about 7 or 8 years old at a church function for children called Vacation Bible School (in case it's not familiar to you). From then until the age of 32, I was very heavily involved in the church -- going to a christian school, singing in the choir, playing the piano for services, etc. I read the bible and prayed every day. I truly believed with all my heart that Jesus was the son of God, died for my sins, and rose again to free me from sin. The only problem was that I knew deep inside that I was physically attracted to other men. No amount of prayer or bible study helped me to lick it. I couldn't understand why God would promise that He'd help me to resist sin, and he wasn't helping me with that, because from what I could see in the bible, homosexuality was a sin, and I was taught that even the thought of homosexuality was a sin. I sublimated all this for a very long time until one day I finally had a major break through. My attraction for men was not something that I was choosing to harbor in my thoughts, it was an innate part of who I was. That started me wondering -- how could God call something a sin that I had no control over? The realization was a big blow for me. It was like suddenly finding out that a parent hated you because your hair color wasn't the right one. I simply could not rationalize God's claim of love with his claims that I was an abomination for something that clearly was not my fault. That's where my divergence from christianity began. Over the years, I've gone further and further from my roots. I would now definitely call myself an ex-christian and a non-theist.

Not to disuade youu from your atheism (I'm an atheist myself), but there are plenty of gay Christians and at least one openly gay Episcopal Bishop, Gene Robinson. The Bible does not condemn homosexuality in any binding way. Jesus never speaks about the issue and Paul's few comments are not authoritative and in any event are equivocal--for example he may have been talking about homosexual rape of slaves or captive and not consensual gay partnerships.

There are many "open and welcoming" churches out there. I've been to several with my gay friends. The one we go to actually flies the rainbow flag outside. There are many proud gay Christians. The fundamentalist and hate-filled lunatics don't speak for Christianity. Why should their outdated, narrow-minded, and faulty interpretations of Scripture be the benchmark for "real Christianity"? Archbishop Desmond Tutu has equated homophobia to apartheid, and he calls the persecution of gay Christians as "nearly the ultimate blasphemy." http://www.afrol.com/articles/13584

If Archbishop Tutu is not an authoritative interpreter of Christian faith, then who is?

Welcome, David! I enjoyed reading your introduction. I hope you benefit from and enjoy participating in the site.

I simply could not rationalize God's claim of love with his claims that I was an abomination for something that clearly was not my fault.

This is something I could never fathom. Why would God create someone and then shun them? I guess it’s one of many questions that brought me to where I am today.

I look forward to your future posts! By the way, how DO you stand that cold northern weather??? We’ve been having a few cold days down here in sunny Florida and I am not happy! It’s actually in the low 40’s right now. Yuck! Anyway, welcome again!

• Super Moderator

Welcome, David.

Don't worry. God doesn't mind if you're gay, as long as you don't choose to be left handed.

Guest QuidEstCaritas?

It's good to be gay or lesbian, just like it's good to be heterosexual or bisexual or transgendered.

Humanity moved passed superficial problems with diversity of skin color and I am glad we are slowly moving past superficial problems with diversity of sexuality.

You're at home here David.

Welcome, David. I am glad that you are living a life now that is true to who you are, all the best!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the site David.

Welcome, David!

Glad you are here.

• 2 weeks later...

Another welcome from another DyedInTheWool Homo - are we really about 1/4 of the ex-c online population? Pitchu, you flatter us so!