Goodbye Jesus

Some Thoughts On Constructing Morality Without God

SairB

He wasn't Buddha....Buddha was perhaps a part of Him, but anyone can see by the pictures that Jesus was skinny... :P

OH, you're lack of knowledge is revealed, young padawan.

There are skinny Buddhas. The Starving Buddha is the depiction of the skinny Buddha. (The statues look ugly though, but I'm not making it up.)

Ahh, you say padawan is not listening.....Jesus could possibly be a reincarnation of the fat man....I got it.... Does Buddha reference reincarnation?

You still avoiding my question oh enlightened Swede

Ahh, you say padawan is not listening.....

Yes. Padawan is hearing, but padawan is not listening.

Jesus could possibly be a reincarnation of the fat man....I got it.... Does Buddha reference reincarnation?

Maybe? Ask him.

Which one? Remind me what question you asked. I think the answers are blue, 42, and lemon cake. And I forgot, No.

Jesus could possibly be a reincarnation of the fat man....I got it.... Does Buddha reference reincarnation?

Maybe? Ask him.

Which one? Remind me what question you asked. I think the answers are blue, 42, and lemon cake. And I forgot, No.

"You are assuming that Jesus was not before he was in bodily form? " (Did you notice the question mark at the end of the declarative sentence?)

"You are assuming that Jesus was not before he was in bodily form? " (Did you notice the question mark at the end of the declarative sentence?)

Oh, that question was for White_Raven, not me. I only hooked in and asked him a counter question. So I can't really answer that question since it wasn't directed at me. But if End3 wants my answer anyway, sure, yes, I'm assuming Jesus did not exist before he took on a bodily form. We are who we are based on what we are and what we do and experience in our bodies. I don't believe the mind exists without the matter-device it runs on.

Maybe? Ask him.

Gheez....I was awakened from my peaceful slumber by a phone call from work...."the liquid chromatograph is not pumping"....all this after 70+ hours at that "place". Now you're telling me I have to learn about the enlightened fat man on a Saturday......fudge.

And you believe in reincarnation? I see...

How about an original perspective from Hans.....not Budda nor some other historical figure or myth to define a truth.

Can a survey be done of beliefs before religious introduction to see if the population match more to one belief or another?

Just rambling thoughts today...my apologies.

See new thread for the question....

Maybe? Ask him.

KCdad, you will find that I ain't too bright, so looking at my sentence structure probably won't get you to the original meaning of my thoughts.

Although...., I do not believe in reincarnation and so have accepted that the origin was from the Christian God, and the description in the Bible describing Jesus being there before man's creation is consistant with the phrase that I had written. Long story short, my writing sucks.

Gheez....I was awakened from my peaceful slumber by a phone call from work...."the liquid chromatograph is not pumping"....all this after 70+ hours at that "place". Now you're telling me I have to learn about the enlightened fat man on a Saturday......fudge.

Sorry about the chromatograph, hope you can fix it.

And you believe in reincarnation? I see...

No, silly, I don't. But you're assuming that Jesus existed before he had a body, but you assume at the same time that reincarnation does not exist. They're both two silly notions, and if you believe one of them, you could just as well believe both.

How about an original perspective from Hans.....not Budda nor some other historical figure or myth to define a truth.

Here's a truth: 1.

Can a survey be done of beliefs before religious introduction to see if the population match more to one belief or another?

Not sure what you're getting at, but I have an article in a science magazine which just came out where they talk about how the brain creates God. People do in general create fictitious explanations to thing they don't understand.

I don't believe the mind exists without the matter-device it runs on.

Ok... that thing I DO know to be true. Ok. I do know one thing.

Antonio Damasio wrote a great book debunking the whole Dualism, Decartes I think therefor I am thing.... Descartes Error.

KCdad, you will find that I ain't too bright, so looking at my sentence structure probably won't get you to the original meaning of my thoughts.

Although...., I do not believe in reincarnation and so have accepted that the origin was from the Christian God, and the description in the Bible describing Jesus being there before man's creation is consistant with the phrase that I had written. Long story short, my writing sucks.

Sorry. I wasn't being critical of your writing, I was being snarky about Hansolo's ability to recognize an interrogative.

It would have been very easy to overlook the question because it appeared to be a statement.

Please, take no offense, and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

... you will find that I ain't too bright

It's not that you're not bright End. You're just not cool.

Ok... that thing I DO know to be true. Ok. I do know one thing.

Damn! Do we have to start exporting warm coats to Hell or what? They're going far below sub-zero now!

Antonio Damasio wrote a great book debunking the whole Dualism, Decartes I think therefor I am thing.... Descartes Error.

I will put it on my book-list.

I did hear an argument against it once, but I can't remember the exact idea behind the critique.

Sorry. I wasn't being critical of your writing, I was being snarky about Hansolo's ability to recognize an interrogative.

It would have been very easy to overlook the question because it appeared to be a statement.

Well, as I was trying to clarify, I didn't overlook his question because a lack of recognizing the question mark, but rather that his question was directed to someone else than me.

... you will find that I ain't too bright

It's not that you're not bright End. You're just not cool.

WTF? NOT cool? .....I'll pray for you, you ineffable bastard..

Oh, that question was for White_Raven, not me.

Oh...that actually needs answer?

End3 already clearly expresses that he DOES believe Jesus to be supernatural...and frankly his incredulity that I do not is pretty hard to swallow at this point.

I did not exist prior to this existence...so why would I pretend, imagine, or "assume" than anyone else would? Especially regarding a mythic belief system, and it's book of myths and legends I've pretty clearly left behind me.

Replying to Some Thoughts On Constructing Morality Without God

Just a thought on having raised my kids with and without religion and moral admonishment:

My oldest son is 33. He was raised in religion and heavy moral guidance until he was 15 or 16. He has explored more things that are explicitly wrong in the bible. Sleeping with multiple women and married women. Stealing. Drinking and drugging to excess sometimes. Things like that. He is claiming to be a christian now, however he is certainly not orthodox. He has always been honest with me. I consider him to be a good and 'moral' person now. I did not ever get on him about his life choices. He would share experiences with me and I would respond if he wanted that. He can be judgemental and arrogant. He is mostly a very kind and gentle human being. But his life has been difficult and confused. Sometimes he feels 'guilty' about things and seems to have a difficult time living without the confines of religion. Time will tell.

My daughter is 26. She was raised in religion until she was about 5. She was always 'naughty' and has not been completely circumspect about her relationships or money, but I would say she has been more conservative than her older brother. She has what I consider to be a solid sense of right and wrong. Her biggest Achilles heel, as a child, was lying. She has found that this has not served her and she will not lie. She outgrew it, I think. Sometimes she drinks too much and has done a limited amount of drugs in the past. She is 'guilt free', meaning that she does not carry a weight about having been less than perfect.

My youngest son is 22. He was raised completely without direction as far as morality goes. I seriously have never told him right from wrong. He is conservative in how he lives. Has 'never' stolen or lied (or if he did it was so minor that it did not affect his life). Only recently he moved in with a young woman that he has been friends with since 15 years old. He has dated other young women but she is the only person he has had sex with, by his own admission. He is almost 'perfect' as far as living a 'moral' life. He explores many areas of philosophy and even took a bible course to see what the underpinnings of our society is. He went through a time, when he was 17 or so, where he wanted more guidance from me and wondered why I didn't 'get on him' about things. I had to explain to him that he was growing up nicely and reminded him of conversations we had had in which I gave my opinion. I am not, by nature, an admonisher. I told him I thought he was doing well and to keep growing. The only thing I asked of him was not to drink without an adult present until 21. He never violated that request. I also asked him to please not become a pot-head. He isn't. He lives circumspectly and he is 'guilt free'.

So, unless we feel that we need saving, I can't see a reason for church based morality.