Goodbye Jesus

Xtians That Claim To Have Read The Entire Bible

Neon Genesis

I'm pretty sure at some point, Christians are going to divorce themselves completely from the Old Testament. I've seen plenty of bibles that only contain the new testament (with a sprinkling of psalms and proverbs, for some reason), so it seems fitting that one day, they'll declare that the OT is irrelevant to what it means to be a Christian.

To get the whole, Adam sinned, thus necessitating Jesus thing to fit, will probably require a re-write, or a butchering of Genesis I imagine, but it'll happen some how.

Once in a long while I came across a name that also appeared in a story about some (supposedly) historical event. Geneologies helped me put the person into context. The Bible was the reference book I had so I read the Bible. No apologetics in our house. At least, none that I was encouraged to read or felt inclined to read. I just wanted to understand the Bible.
Did you ever notice when reading the genealogies in the bible that Moses' dad married his aunt? Apparently God thought incest was ok in that situation.

My favorite question to them is, "Where did all the talking snakes go?"

How about the talking donkeys? Haven't seen many those around lately.

How about the talking donkeys? Haven't seen many those around lately.

Are you kidding? I'm married to one. But I call him an ass!!! :)

Guest ephymeris
I'm pretty sure at some point, Christians are going to divorce themselves completely from the Old Testament. I've seen plenty of bibles that only contain the new testament (with a sprinkling of psalms and proverbs, for some reason), so it seems fitting that one day, they'll declare that the OT is irrelevant to what it means to be a Christian.

To get the whole, Adam sinned, thus necessitating Jesus thing to fit, will probably require a re-write, or a butchering of Genesis I imagine, but it'll happen some how.

When i was a christian, I read the bible cover to cover at least 3 times. I did that "read it all in a year" thing every year for at least 3 years. I don't remember most of it, it all seemed to blend together. Anyway, I always wondered why the old testament was included at all. Christians say it's to "give us a history" and show all the amazingly accurate prophecies that led up to Jesus's birth but it seemed disjointed (at best) and irrelevant to me since according to the NT, supposedly Jesus is the final word as far as the "law" goes.

I think one day I might just deliberately jerk off with torn out pages from four things:

The Bible

The Catechism of the Catholic Church

Revolution Counter Revolution

True Devotion to Mary

Like I dunno, just pop some extasy-I have never done that btw-or something, and spend all day jerking off with the pages of those books.

Be careful of the paper cuts!

I think one day I might just deliberately jerk off with torn out pages from four things:

The Bible

The Catechism of the Catholic Church

Revolution Counter Revolution

True Devotion to Mary

Like I dunno, just pop some extasy-I have never done that btw-or something, and spend all day jerking off with the pages of those books.

Or make a papier mache dildo from the pages.

Once in a long while I came across a name that also appeared in a story about some (supposedly) historical event. Geneologies helped me put the person into context. The Bible was the reference book I had so I read the Bible. No apologetics in our house. At least, none that I was encouraged to read or felt inclined to read. I just wanted to understand the Bible.
Did you ever notice when reading the genealogies in the bible that Moses' dad married his aunt? Apparently God thought incest was ok in that situation.

I don't remember that one specifically but Jacob married his first cousins. Abraham married his sister (either that, or he lied to the local kings when he said that Sarah was his sister rather than his wife). My mother had taught me that people cannot marry closer than second cousin. Then I started reading all these close relatives married to each other in the Bible. Such as who could Adam and Eve's children have married except siblings? And Lot's daughters had children by their father. Mom didn't like when I raised these issues so I learned to turn a blind eye, but the inconsistencies remained.

When you get into Early Christian Writings, it gets even stranger. You get groups of men and women sleeping together--all of them naked in the same room--and not having sex. So the claim goes. I guess they were proving their dedication to god. Hermes the Shepherd is the name of one such book or story, if I remember correctly. When I first came across this, I figured I'm missing something obvious because it seemed unreal. However, just the other day I read that at one point in Christian history, there was a tradition for married couples not to have sex.

I'm not sure what these people were made of, whether one can believe that they actually pulled it off. Is it possible that they sufficiently deprived themselves of nutrition that they had no sex drive, or that they were unable to reproduce in the case that they did have intercourse? (So long as there were no unwanted pregnancies, any claims could be made.)

At one point, there were entire communities (Cathars?) who believed it was wrong to consume any food that came from intercourse. This cut from their diet meat, milk, and eggs. One wonders whether they had enough nuts and beans, etc. to get the protein and other nutrients their bodies needed. Since meat, milk, and eggs were food staples of their culture, did they know how to eat balanced diets if they cut out these items? I am not sure if these were the same people as those who slept in mixed company without sex because I did not make the "diet connection" until just now as I was writing this post.

Abraham married his sister (either that, or he lied to the local kings when he said that Sarah was his sister rather than his wife).

They were not related. They were both very old (in their 80's?) but she was still a hottie. So he told her to pretend to be his sister in case anyone asked. That way they wouldn't kill him to get her. So, as fate would have it, the king gets the hots for her and he's told their brother and sister so the king takes her away. God doesn't care for this and punishes the king. How dare he take the wife of another man! So the truth comes out and to make up for it the king gives Abraham a ton of cash and prizes for lying to him. God is appeased and happy with the way the lie helped things out. So after this Abraham learned his lesson and does it again and it plays out the same way.

This is how Abraham becomes rich and powerful. By lying, having his god punish the people he lies to for not realizing he has lied to them and then having those who have been lied to reward the lying Abraham. Brilliant morals and ethics.

Closer to the topic. Lots' daughters get him drunk so he will sleep with them and he gets them both preggers. More of those bible morals.

mwc

But...In my Christian years, I actually have read the Bible from cover to cover more than once. Then again, maybe that's why I found myself doubting more and more--none of it made sense and I had to ask myself why, in a time where we have Internet and tiny, tiny phones, would anyone want to follow laws from before they had indoor plumbing?