Goodbye Jesus

Giving People Too Much Credit...

HelloWorld

I have this HUGE tendency to give people WAY too much credit. I can be faced with a situation where someone clearly did something the shouldn't have done, and there I am, making excuses for them left right and centre. I am always coming up with reasons to explain things away to make a situation look less "bad".

I am wondering if this might be the result of having read too much apologetic stuff? Like always being taught the "excuses" and "reasons" and "explanations" why things are/were they way they are...even when they don't appear to make sense.

I also have this problem where I don't understand why people would lie about things. When people describe experiences...as crazy as they may be...I want to give them credence because I cannot see how a person could lie about such a thing. If you read my thread about ouija boards, you may have seen this streak in me. Most recently it surfaced when I read a thread about exorcisms, demons, and possession on Catholic Answers.

I was wondering if anyone else finds themselves doing either of these things? I find they make me really vulnerable to falling back into Christianity.

Hey, it could be worse. You could be cynical and judgmental and never give people an ounce of credit...I've known too many people that do that and they are very difficult to be around. Their negativity rubs off and you end up wanting to throttle them when they're close by.

It think a balanced viewpoint is good...and being able to consider multiple points-of-view is to your credit.

As for the lying, people lie to themselves first and foremost - to the point where they don't even know that they're lying.

We pretty much all did it to ourselves when Xians...

As for the lying, people lie to themselves first and foremost - to the point where they don't even know that they're lying.

We pretty much all did it to ourselves when Xians...

Perhaps some did, but I am not sure we all did. In my mind, in order to lie you need to know that what you are saying is false. Throughout most of my Christian life, I never thought that what I believed was false.

But I dunno.