Goodbye Jesus

Jesusland, Usa

Vomit Comet

It's a fun poll about the fundiest place in the entire world outside of northern Pakistan! :grin:

Nebraska has these pro-life and anti-homosexual billboards on private property you can read from the highway. I wish the wind would blow them into the next state along with the funny-mental do-gooders.

I live in Marshall County, Alabama where the 10 commandments are posted on the door at the grocery store. When I go there on Sunday's I have a strange urge to stone the lady at the cash register.

I would actually like to visit and see if it is really as bad as it sounds.

Plus, sometimes I like doing things that I know will get me all worked up.

I live in Marshall County, Alabama where the 10 commandments are posted on the door at the grocery store. When I go there on Sunday's I have a strange urge to stone the lady at the cash register.

But there's a cool lady my age (50's) that runs the convenience store around the corner here in NC and I have a strange urge to get stoned with her. :P

The babble belt is fun if you can laugh at the religiousosity. Fundy-ism is losing ground and the bland tofu baptists are startiing to take over here.

I'm trapped here in TN for another 4 months or so. It makes me angry at times, but lately, I've just been shaking my head pitying these people. They don't have a clue. One thing I hate seeing, though, is those damn Jesus fish. I hate those things. Another thng that I rarely see that makes me see red is a child wearing a Xian t-shirt. I hate that parents pick their kid's religion. It happened to me and I'm trying to get over that. I just take comfort in the fact that I'm going to expose my son to the truth and not some watered down baby version of the bible and let him choose for himself. That's all I really can do at this point.

What part of TN? I grew up in a hell-hole called Lake City, TN. 50%+ high school dropout rate, median income around $15,000 per year.

As frustrating as it is, I have always lived here and probably always will. There are a lot of good qualities about where I live. It is centrally located to many larger cities, low crime rate, great public schools, and a lot of outdoor activities.

But there's a cool lady my age (50's) that runs the convenience store around the corner here in NC and I have a strange urge to get stoned with her. :P

The babble belt is fun if you can laugh at the religiousosity. Fundy-ism is losing ground and the bland tofu baptists are startiing to take over here.

That's what this guy from NC was telling me the other day. He said "oh, the rest of us just laugh at 'em. I like to watch them crazy fuckers on TBN, 'cuz it's just so dang funny!"

Bland tofu Baptists = ?

I'm trapped here in TN for another 4 months or so. It makes me angry at times, but lately, I've just been shaking my head pitying these people. They don't have a clue. One thing I hate seeing, though, is those damn Jesus fish. I hate those things.

Advice about the Jesus fish... look at it as a vagina symbol turned on it's side. That's how I always see it. Was always something fishy about it's design. :D

What part of TN? I grew up in a hell-hole called Lake City, TN. 50%+ high school dropout rate, median income around $15,000 per year.

I never saw so many churches and religious signs and bumper stickers in my life when my wife and I drove through TN on a cross country road trip. It felt like we were in the twilight zone

When my wife and I went back to visit the family in TN a few years ago, she started counting churches on one particular stretch of highway. There were 24 churches in 22 miles... 19 of them were Baptist.

When my wife and I went back to visit the family in TN a few years ago, she started counting churches on one particular stretch of highway. There were 24 churches in 22 miles... 19 of them were Baptist.

That's because they were "called by God to reach the lost in that area"...

I live in Marshall County, Alabama where the 10 commandments are posted on the door at the grocery store.

Yeah, but which 10 commandments? :D

That's because the people in these houses of brotherly love can't really stand each other.

Are there any members of ex-c net who live in Arkansas a.k.a The Hillbilly Version of the Twilight Zone? :D

I'm here because my husband is here (due to his job), and our daughter, son in law and granddaughter live nearby. The area is rather pretty, with lots of trees and is green most of the year. The weather is wonderful, except during July & August (hopefully we'll all evolve gills, to cope with humidity). The only reason I would ever move would be if my husband's job transfers us, or if our daughter and granddaughter move -- they make this place bearable.

lol! Same situation here in Arkansas. These people simply cannot get along with each other.

I also live in TN and I despise living here. There's practically a fundie church on every corner and everyone always expects that you're a conservative Christian like them unless you tell them otherwise. The only liberal church I know of around here is a UU church but it's way on the other side of town. I've found that so-called "southern hospitality" is over-rated as people tend to only be hospitable around here to you if they think you're a conservative Christian like them. Once they find out you're either liberal, gay, or non-Christian, then suddenly southern hospitality goes out the window. We had a gay pride event here this past year and as far I'm aware, there surprisingly wasn't too much problems, but I still feel afraid to be open about my sexuality and atheism around here and I feel like I can only be open about myself to people I'm close too but I have to hide who I am around others. I've never even met another atheist offline before in my life and my sister is the only liberal Christian I know. It's a shame because I like TN otherwise. I think it's a pretty state and I like the weather around here. Like it's neither too hot or too cold and we rarely ever have any major natural disasters around here. I wouldn't mind living in TN if people aroun here were more open minded, but it all feels suffocating here.

So do I!!!!! :lmao:

Guest sinderella60

lol! Same situation here in Arkansas. These people simply cannot get along with each other.

I couln't take the poll because it really didn't address anything with me. I was born and raised in upstate NY. Not much religion, I do remember attending church on an easter sunday all dressed in pretty easter dresses. but that was it. my mom did love watching those tv fellas, especially good ol' jimmy swaggart. we believed in god, something bigger and better than us. sometimes even say our...now i lay me down to sleep stuff. but not much in the way of knowing anybody who went to church "religously"

then i got "saved" after losing my brother, then father, and finally my mom. i was looking for help in my distress and lonliness, looking for why. after having a childhood filled with what i now know to be "abuse" (didn't think so then, it was after all the only thing i knew, just thought that was the way it was. everybody keeps secrets, right?)

always feeling empty, never knowing why. so looking for something or someone to help fill the emptiness.blah, blah, blah. married the fundie, lived that life. finally got the gumption to leave and get a divorce (was not easy i tell ya) had to leave the state.

any how back to the poll. ended up in the great state of texas. wow! these little do gooders. lovin' and sweet to your face...and soooo not when you aren't around. these are good christians. signs and churches every where. never saw so many BIG chuches, all over the place, it's like each block as multiple choice. then throw in the new ever popular metaphysical spiritualism springing up every where and wow...

I went to school for three and a half years (studying abroad this semester, yay!) in Grand Rapids, Mi, which I was heard referred to as "the suspenders of the Bible Belt". And it's true. Major Christian publishing companies like Zondervan and Baker are here, as is Mars Hill and Rob Bell and more churches and "family values" than you can shake a stick at. In the surrounding area too is more Christian and Bible colleges than I even knew existed and the Christian High school is bigger than a mall!

Going back and forth from GR to the Detroit area is enough to give me whiplash sometimes.

I will never live in GR ever again, but I want/need to attend grad school in the South, so I'm sure I will have stories to tell soon....

That is so funny.

If it was me, one day when the weather was right and I was in the right mood, I might say in a rather off-hand manner something like, "So you don't believe in the Bible anymore?"

If she looked puzzled or shocked or said of course she did, or something along those lines, I might add that I just realized that today was Sunday.

If things still didn't click with her, I might explain that I was just checking to see how much she believed the Bible because they say on the door to keep the Sabbath holy and the Bible says to stone people who work on the Sabbath, and "seeing you're working today I just wanted to know whether or not I should stone you."

Chances are very slim that the weather would ever be right on a day that I was also in the mood to say this kind of thing, but still, it's a fun thing to think about.

She's probably the lady who sold your neighbours the olive oil they smeared on your doors... :scratch:

VC, I was going to do the poll but then I looked again at the title of the thread. I see USA in there. I'm in Canada so I guess I don't qualify.

This part of the country is full of churches. Vigile mentioned counting 22 churches in a 24 mile stretch of highway. I'm quite sure I could plan a route to count at least that many. The small towns have many more. So does this city. I don't know how well-attended the urban churches are but the rural churches are full.

So faithfully do the people of my childhood neighbourhood attend church that the various denominations (two horse and buggy and one car) schedule their services not to start at the same time in order to accommodate the traffic; everyone uses the same highway but travels in different directions. This involves a major intersection of provincial highway. People would joke, "We're traveling in three different directions but we're all heading to the same place." I'm not sure if the answer was supposed to be "church" or "heaven."

Guest heinekenbottle
I would actually like to visit and see if it is really as bad as it sounds.

I'd love to go and laugh at them, but I'm just afraid I'd lose what little faith in humanity I have left.

I'm in Hamilton Alabama and voted i'd fucking leave when i got the chance i think it was.

I hate it here there's more churches than grass

And more bullshit than the bullshit that comes out of all the bulls around heres ass

Everyones the same here you got to act, walk, talk and be the same.

I'm gonna move someday