Goodbye Jesus

Fun In The Bible Belt

Skeptic

It seems like everytime I'm on the bus, there has to be some mention of god. Today's was the worst. It was a conversation between two women and the female bus driver. First, they were talking about how they were both divorced (one lady had gone through three husbands) and how they both almost killed themselves. One almost did it three times. Then they went on to talk about this one couple where the man was kicking the woman out of the house for not paying an overdraft fee on her debit card. The one lady was like, "Well, he ain't no Christian," complete with southern drawl. Then they started talking about his affairs and his multiple personalities. One woman said, "I don't think he has different personalities because they never come out" and all this other stuff. I was very tempted to say something but I just let the stupidity speak for itself. The concept of them being imperfect xians and then judging someone else probably would've flown over their heads anyhow. I can't wait to move back up north where people are at least somewhat sane.

Good choice on not butting in. It would have gone way over their heads. Women who are that stupid and hypocritical have a tendency to have a perpetual victim complex. Nothing bad they go through is ever their fault. Pointing out that their inability to keep themselves emotionally sane and from getting divorced would have resulted in them simply blaming their Ex-husbands/Family members/Whatever scapegoat they could think of. Followed shortly by them persecuting you for not believing in the existence of their invisible sky daddy.

Part of being an Excer is knowing which religious arguments are wise to have and which arguments are not. Sometimes it is better not to argue with morons.

Part of being an Excer is knowing which religious arguments are wise to have and which arguments are not. Sometimes it is better not to argue with morons.

Agreed. The whole situation was pretty sad. At first, I was kind of pissed off, but then, I kind of laughed to myself and found myself pitying them. They both displayed such unbelievably blind ignorance and I've found a lot of fundies to be this way. Didn't they ever read the scripture about not talking about the splinter in someone's eye when you have a tree trunk in your own? Seriously. It's so ironic that the very people who are supposed to be loving and accepting based on everyone's stereotypes are some of the most judgmental people I've ever encountered.

:ditto:

Pick the battles.

I don't thnk I'll be starting any battles, especially with my one year old son in tow. I don't want to expose him to that. I don't know what I'd do if he gets a bit older, like about 2 or 3, and says, "My mommy's an atheist" in public. That would be kind of awkward. Of course, then he'd have to follow it up with "My dad and grandpa are atheists, too" lol.

I don't thnk I'll be starting any battles, especially with my one year old son in tow. I don't want to expose him to that. I don't know what I'd do if he gets a bit older, like about 2 or 3, and says, "My mommy's an atheist" in public. That would be kind of awkward. Of course, then he'd have to follow it up with "My dad and grandpa are atheists, too" lol.

Oh I can't wait till he tugs on your sleve one day and points at a street preacher and says: "Look dad... Dogma" :)

That kind of woman always, always pisses me off and the religious assumptions are just icing on the cake for me.

I don't think I would ever say anything in that conversation, because it ticks people off to no good end.

As for moving, I don't know if people are any better in the north, maybe less vocal?

I lived in PA for most of my life and it wasn't as crazy as it here when it came to religion. People are a lot less vocal about it if they go to church at all and there aren't bumper stickers and Jesus fish on like every car. When we first moved to TN, we lived in an apartment complex and people from the churches around here would come knock on your door at like 8 am trying to get you to go to their church. I've never encountered that in PA. I think we had a JW come to the door once but that was about it.

I actually overheard a conversation in a coffeeshop a few days ago that reminded me of just how religious nebraska is. A girl was talking with a guy and must have made some assumption about his religiosity. My ears perked up when he said, "Well, I'm not religious. I consider myself a pretty solid atheist actually." She apologized, and he was pretty gracious with her, telling her that he understood the expectation in a region like this. I wanted to go congratulate both of them for being able to have a sane conversation about beliefs/lack of beliefs. People here don't knock on doors much... I think the assume everyone is already in church.

The religious conversations are pretty open up here in ND, but rather low-key. Nobody comes to my door, but I did have a JW pamplet tucked inside.

Guest heinekenbottle
The concept of them being imperfect xians and then judging someone else probably would've flown over their heads anyhow.

I love the irony in fundamentalist Christianity.

They are so quick to sit around and judge everyone around them.

And yet, didn't their Savior say "judge not lest ye be judged" and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone?" It is as if they don't even read their own bibles.

I dunno, it just furthers the impression that I get that fundies aren't preaching to spread Jesus' good news, but to further their own power and ambitions.

Not very Christ-like at all.

This is why I can't stand religion. I can't stand the brainwashing. I can't stand the hypocrisy. I can't stand the old man at the pulpit telling me how to live. I can't stand being told that I have to hate one of my old friends because he turned out to be gay. I can't stand their constant efforts to undermine scientific teachings to have their agenda furthered in a class room. I can't stand their constant efforts to censor the opposing viewpoints from libraries, and then turn around and claim that the secular humanists are oppressing them!