Goodbye Jesus

Mma And Glory To God!

Looking4Answers

Recently I have gotten hooked on the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) and particularly the WEC (World Extreme Cage fighting). If you like things like boxing, martial arts, etc and you watch any MMA fighting, then you know that sometimes MMA get's pretty brutal. Frankly, I am amazed at the skill and the technique of these fighters and it looks like this fairly young sport (as far as being a popular professional sport) is getting even better. And, as far as I am concerned, sportsmanship is very apparent in this sport.

However, I get really mad when I see one guy pulverize another and then, during the interview at the end, he has to say something like, "I just want to give God all the glory!" What? You want to give god the glory for making that other guy into a bloody pulp? I have seen these guys pray before and after the fight. Frankly, not only does it seem incredibly out of place, but it totally ticks me off. I cannot help but want the "believing" fighter to get the shit kicked out of him ;) .

Any other MMA fans here?

Never seen MMA, but I always want to throw something at the screen when I see any victorious athlete thanking god or jesus.

I mean, were god and jesus taking a smoke break when the same guy got the crap beat out of him the previous week?!

Why would an all-powerful god care about something like who wins a sport anyway? When they thank God for making them win, are they saying that God hated the other person who lost?

What size big-screen TV does God have? Imagine the surround-sound you need to set-up for an infinite space! It must be a ∞+1.

And how does god choose if BOTH fighters are believers?

They gave the glory to gawd because they know gawd wants blood--and they gave him blood.

They gave the glory to gawd because they know gawd wants blood--and they gave him blood.

Blood for the Blood God?

Well, if you've been beaten 'round the head repeatedly, I guess that would increase your chance of hearing god.

I remember Diego Sanchez in UFC being one of hte biggest "god fans" I'd ever seen. I actually remember him saying that God had destined him to retire undefeated and as the champ. In the next fight Josh Koshcheck [sic] made a point of doing everything he could not to lose. His only goal was to shove Diego's self-righteousness into his face. I'm happy to say he did so.

Thankfully, I think it was the best thing that could have happened to Diego. He's not nearly as insufferable as he used to be.

In one of the "Ulitimate Fighter" seasons, Matt Hughes tried to get all of his team to participate in bible studies with him. Only one of the member of his team had the balls to stand up and say, "No thanks, not for me".

And God wants blood because the color of blood is his favorite color.

I remember Diego Sanchez in UFC being one of hte biggest "god fans" I'd ever seen. I actually remember him saying that God had destined him to retire undefeated and as the champ. In the next fight Josh Koshcheck [sic] made a point of doing everything he could not to lose. His only goal was to shove Diego's self-righteousness into his face. I'm happy to say he did so.

Thankfully, I think it was the best thing that could have happened to Diego. He's not nearly as insufferable as he used to be.

In one of the "Ulitimate Fighter" seasons, Matt Hughes tried to get all of his team to participate in bible studies with him. Only one of the member of his team had the balls to stand up and say, "No thanks, not for me".

Thanks for sharing these, Skankboy!

Look if you're stupid enough to want to make a living by cage fighting, you probably aren't going to be too bright in the god department either.

Look if you're stupid enough to want to make a living by cage fighting, you probably aren't going to be too bright in the god department either.

I'm sorry. I will have to disagree with that statement. Many of these guys seem quite intelligent. Frank Mier (sp?), is an MMA fighter, is a fantastic commentator for the WEC. Uriah Faver is very well spoken, owns his own gym and seems like quite an intelligent man. One of the fighters, Brian Stann, is a Marine Corps officer. Now, most of these guys are not stupid at all.

I'm sorry. I will have to disagree with that statement. Many of these guys seem quite intelligent. Frank Mier (sp?), is an MMA fighter, is a fantastic commentator for the WEC. Uriah Faver is very well spoken, owns his own gym and seems like quite an intelligent man. One of the fighters, Brian Stann, is a Marine Corps officer. Now, most of these guys are not stupid at all.

Frank Mir is very, very cerebral. Did you catch his fight against Brock Lesnar? Brock was pounding him but Frank outsmarted him with a kneebar. Quite a fight.

You must have watched that fight where Vitor Belfort knocked that one guy silly and said he gave all the glory to Jesus Christ, right?

Have you been to www.mmascraps.com or www.mmashare.com?

Those are some good sites. Especially www.mmascraps.com.... They keep that site moving with all the best most noteworthy stuff.

Uriah Faber tried that flying back elbow recently and got busted up. He's smart though and has learned from that mistake. He's a little beast.

Brock Lesner is a monster! I think I would evaporate into a puddle if the guy just knocked on my door! ;)

I have not been to the web sites you mention. I will check them out. I just recently started to watch this stuff (last two months or so) and have been catching the reruns and live action when a WEC or UFC fite is showing. I also went to their respective web sites (wec.tv, etv).

Yeah - for real. Brock looks like a comic book villain/hero or something.

Hey, I checked out some of your Freedom site. What a soap opera!!! So, I reckon in Fundie Xtianity, they don't allow MMA & the like, huh? Ha.

I was wondering about your 17 years of experience. Was there anything that would make you think your prayers were answered or any experiences that seems like a divine being was guiding or giving you impressions or any miracles or anything? What an interesting story!

Yeah - for real. Brock looks like a comic book villain/hero or something.

Hey, I checked out some of your Freedom site. What a soap opera!!! So, I reckon in Fundie Xtianity, they don't allow MMA & the like, huh? Ha.

I was wondering about your 17 years of experience. Was there anything that would make you think your prayers were answered or any experiences that seems like a divine being was guiding or giving you impressions or any miracles or anything? What an interesting story!

I would be happy to talk to you about my experiences, but that would be off topic for this thread. Feel free to PM me or to send me an email (the email address is on my blog). Thanks for reading it, though! I do appreciate it. And, yes, it is like a soap opera. However, I would rather be watching it as a movie than living it!

I love MMA, and i have to disagree with Chef about the fighters being stupid. Mirko "Cro-Cop" Filipovic was a special forces officer in the Croatian police force, and even served in Croatia's parliment. I haven't heard very many fighters at all who sounded like morons in interviews. No more than in say, the NFL or NBA.

Speaking of Matt Hughes, as a christian i loved the guy. Even though he was as arrogant and one dimensional a fighter as you could get, i still rooted for him because he was a devout christian. Now, it is a different story. Did you catch his last two fights against Georges St. Pierre? Hughes got absolutely creamed in both of them, especially the last one. Afterwards, while trying to make a comeback, he got owned by Thiago Alves. A christian friend of mine said he was a dominant fighter because he was a christian, an opinion i used to echo. But do you know what he said after he started losing left, right, front and center? He told me one day that god was punishing Hughes for not going to poor countires and helping to build houses for the poor. He said that Hughes once stated how he thought god had called him to do such a thing, and he did actually go to Central America and help build a house during a time in which he was off from fighting. Here is reality, Matt Hughes is just a wrestler, a one dimensional wrestler. He has no stand up and it caught up with him big time when me met three dimensional fighters who were extremely well-rounded. MMA is evolving and Matt refused to evolve with it. Probably because he didn't believe in evolution. :lmao:

And God wants blood because the color of blood is his favorite color.

It's mine too, but I wouldn't command people to beat each up into a pulp.

Hey, Justin. Interesting thoughts there.

I've talked to some Christians who say that some people are rich because of God and some are poor because of God and some succeed because of God and some don't want to prosper because of certain Bible passages, etc. Who is helping like Anderson Silva, who is a Buddhist, and is CLEANING HOUSE ON EVERYTHING IN SIGHT? Except that time that little oriental dude got him a vicious and down-in-history flying kneebar (Confucious?). Is Anderson rubbing his lucky Buddha before fights and winning?

I never knew Matt Hughes was a Christian though.

UFC is more like the Roman ampitheatre where Christians would have been fed to lions, etc. Doesn't seem that comitted Christians would like something like that, but then again, the holy wars were more violent than UFC any day.

Hey, Justin. Interesting thoughts there.

I've talked to some Christians who say that some people are rich because of God and some are poor because of God and some succeed because of God and some don't want to prosper because of certain Bible passages, etc. Who is helping like Anderson Silva, who is a Buddhist, and is CLEANING HOUSE ON EVERYTHING IN SIGHT? Except that time that little oriental dude got him a vicious and down-in-history flying kneebar (Confucious?). Is Anderson rubbing his lucky Buddha before fights and winning?

I never knew Matt Hughes was a Christian though.

UFC is more like the Roman ampitheatre where Christians would have been fed to lions, etc. Doesn't seem that comitted Christians would like something like that, but then again, the holy wars were more violent than UFC any day.

Man i love Anderson Silva! The man is pure class outside the ring too.

I am glad there are other MMA fans here! I am totally hooked!

Arrgghhh!!! I am watching UFC 95 and just saw a great fight between Nate Marquardt and Wilson Gouveia. Nate won the fight in a spectacular fashion with several kicks and punching to Gouveia's head. Of course, during the interview he had to instantly let everyone know that he owes everything to god for his victory. Ugh! You know, if this guy really believes this, then why does he even bother to go to the gym and train? If god does all the work in the ring, then he should just eat, get fat, step into the octagon and let god defeat his opponent for him!

Uggghhh!

Ugh! And then the main event of the evening ... Diego Garcia wins and gives the credit to Jesus. I love this sport, but I just am having trouble getting past this.