Goodbye Jesus

Is Anyone Else A Victim Of Christian "education"

Insanity personified

When looking into colleges, also consider cost of living. When deciding on cost of food, keep in mind that you will likely be eating out more often than you originally plan.
Slightly off-topic with Christian schools, but very on-topic for surviving below the poverty line while getting educated:

Learn to cook for yourself!

Take a look at how much you'd spend per week eating at Taco Hell, and compare it to how much farther you could make that money go at a grocery store. Compare grocery prices and find the cheapest stores.

Compile a list of recipes you like and are comfortable cooking. One of the things that can be very useful to you is latching on to the concept of cooking once for the whole week. For instance, make a big pot of some soup you like (Large stock pot: $5.00 at Goodwill or Starvation Army.), portion it out into serving sizes you think would be good per meal for you, and freeze the servings. 24 oz. cottage cheese type containers are great for this, since you don't even need to buy tupperware. Instead of throwing those kinds of containers out, just clean them and save them. All you need to do is thaw a serving a day ahead, heat and eat. You can do this sort of thing with a large variety of foods, it will save you time and over the course of a month, let alone a year, a lot of money! Also, it will be food you like and give you the satisfaction of taking care of yourself.

I also went to a Christian private school, but I am glad I did have a private education--I definately received the superior education when compared to my friends who went to a public school. The school that I went to did not require that the staff's children attend the school, but they did require that the staff classified themselves as Church of Christ members.

I also went to a Christian private school, but I am glad I did have a private education--I definately received the superior education when compared to my friends who went to a public school.

And you know this exactly how? I attended Catholic school, but I have no remote idea how my education compared to my public school compatriots. Just curious.

My mother was sent to a fundie Baptist school. If you didn't attend church you got an F. And my grandparents were not exactly the fundie church-going type....

She was successfully converted to Baptism, but fortunately she had the sense to keep my sister and I the hell out of Christian schools.

I wouldn't say I'm a victim more than I'm a survivor.

I survived 6 years or so of fundamentalist Lutheran school. I am as sane as one can be having lived through several or more years of such an ordeal.

I got saved as a 10th grader. And I remember being envious of the kids that got to go to a Christian school.

I remember also asking my dad if he would send me to a Christian university. He was suspicious at first, but agreed to look into it with me, and he took one look at the price tag and said "no fuckin' way." Today I am grateful!

Good Lord, I was an idiot. :twitch:

I also went to a Christian private school, but I am glad I did have a private education--I definately received the superior education when compared to my friends who went to a public school.

And you know this exactly how? I attended Catholic school, but I have no remote idea how my education compared to my public school compatriots. Just curious.

I didn't go to private school all my life, just my high school years. Upon entering private school, I had to do some catch up work. Upon entering a community college where my friends from the public school also attended, I found that I had the greater breadth of knowledge then they did.

I think having gone to a Christian private school just expedited my deconversion since we were all required to have a bible class along with our normal academic courses.

I think having gone to a Christian private school just expedited my deconversion since we were all required to have a bible class along with our normal academic courses.

I think it is axiomatic. From what I've seen over the years, it seems to me that the stricter the religious upbringing, the more likely a person is to deconvert at some point later on. There's plenty of exceptions of course, but I think it's true as an average at least.

I have a BS in Christian Education. Getting it was a chore! The only way to pass was to agree with every doctrinal statement the lecturer came up with. Disagreement got you a lower score on tests.

I have a BS in Christian Education. Getting it was a chore! The only way to pass was to agree with every doctrinal statement the lecturer came up with. Disagreement got you a lower score on tests.

B.S. in Christian Education :lmao:

Gotta love acronyms. My B.S. is in marketing. It's incredibly ironic since the vast majority of marketing is not, shall we say, based on anything logical.

I went to a Catholic high school, and honestly, I got a better education than I would have in a public school. Hang in there, you'll make it. Just ask annoying questions in religion class like "who wrote the ending of Mark?" or "is the pope really infallible?" Or if you go to a fundamentalist school (I'm truly sorry) "Is the Bible really infallible?"

Oh yeah, in christiandom, they love to see those little diplomas with their kind of education on it. I even have a Dr of Christian ministry. I was a right proper speaker of tongues, prayer warrior and all that there stuff. I started having doubts when the lecturer wanted us to believe Moses crossed the Red Sea on ice. Yep, you got it. I did get smart and dropped out of my Dr. in Xtian Philosophy, the deeper and further I went the more I wanted to barf cuz I was wrestling with my doubts as to the validity of xtianity at the time too. I get the diploma out once in a while just to remind myself just how deep I was into it. I don't have any regrets though. I have diplomas in a lot of stuff. One of the more legit is Paralegal I got when I worked for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs as an Adjudicator. That job I'm proud of. Actually got to help people. I still bump into a few vets that still thank me for the work I put in on their behalf, it makes up for the fantasy schooling I had. I have been from one end of the Jesus trip to the other and I'm glad that boat ride is over!

I think it is axiomatic. From what I've seen over the years, it seems to me that the stricter the religious upbringing, the more likely a person is to deconvert at some point later on. There's plenty of exceptions of course, but I think it's true as an average at least.

I dunno man, we're gonna need to get some statistical survey research goin' here. For now at least, it would at best tell us what percentage of Americans might qualify as apostates. I don't think you could dial enough phone numbers to find enough of them to make generalizations about them as a group, unless you had an overall sample of 10,000 or something, which is astronomical. Even the top dog polling houses keep it under 1,300.

Well, where there's a will there's a way... but I aren't enough of a methodologist to figure it out.