Goodbye Jesus

Creepy Erotic Jesus Love

Prysm

Have any of you noticed this disturbing trend around V-day, when the young xtian girls start dreaming of love poetry from jesus, who gives them sunsets and warm fuzzies and other weird shit like that? It's really bugging me now, and it always did even when I was a xtian. Now it's just like a slap in the face though. All over facebook, I tell you! One of my best friends from undergrad (who is now barely more than a deist) told me that she used to imagine jesus was like her boyfriend. I don't get that. I never had those kind of fantasies. Course, we could start talking about the homo-eroticism of male worship leaders who write cute love songs that could be sung to a lover or jesus (but I'm totally not gay, man!).

Anyone else find this jesus-fetishism creepy?

Remember the song "You light up my life" by Debbie Boone? She is said to have written it about Jesus, but most assumed it was from one lover to another. The mystic elements of Xianity often make reference to Jesus as the lover of the soul. I guess that is supposed to make up for the wholesale slaughter of infants and others, rapes, incest, etc in the Old Testament, and the introduction of eternal searing torment the New Testament. "Psycho lover, qu'est que c'est"

Jesus is also called the Rose of Sharon and the Lilly of the Valley. These terms come from the book, Song of Songs (or Song of Solomon) in the Old Testament. The book is about the love between a man and a woman and, for the language of the day, is fairly erotic. Christian theologians went and said the man of the book was Jesus and the woman was the church and that this book, ultimately, pointed to the love that was supposed to be there between Jesus and his church. Well, that is just sick. For example, the man praises the woman's breast several times in that book. Is Jesus praising the "breasts" of the church?

I can honestly say that I have been truly blessed to have never encountered this attitude. CREEPY!!!!

I'm going to back under my rock, now.

My understanding is that in some Orders, the nuns are symbolically married to Jesus.

....so they get fucked mind, body, and soul?....figuratively speaking... :wub:

When I was in undergrad I had to write a paper defending the symbolic marriage of jesus and the church as NOT homo-erotic, even though there are men in the church. Funny that the idea it may possibly be hetero-erotic didn't seem to bother anyone! Man, if I was the lover of a god I think I'd rather go Zeus/golden rain style than this creepy symbolic marriage stuff. Speaking of this, has anyone seen Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God"? She talks about how her friends and she would rate the jesus portraits in the churches, and how her jesus poster on her bedroom wall... well, you get the idea. Pretty funny.

My understanding is that in some Orders, the nuns are symbolically married to Jesus.

Yup. It is actually that way in most orders, except possibly the more liberal ones.

Yeah, they even get wedding rings. Many girls aspiring to the religious life get really excited to be a "bride of Christ":

"In terms of nuns, the article notes that “nuns and consecrated virgins wore “plain rings … in memory of their betrothal to their heavenly Spouse”. So this symbol of fidelity, of lifelong commitment unto death is a significant one for wearing the ring. The tradition of wearing rings in religious life continues. Each religious community of Catholic nuns and sisters, as well as monks and brothers, has its own customs around the ring — if they wear one, what material it is made from, whether it has an engraving, etc. The ring is normally given when the sister professes vows — for some communities (like mine) the ring is given at first profession; for others it is given at final profession of vows."

"In my IHM Congregation, we wear a gold band that is engraved. On the outside of the ring, there is an engraving of two hearts that are pierced by a single sword. The two hearts represent the Immaculate Heart of Mary (our namesake) and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. On the inside is the Latin text, Ego te sponsabo, which means “I will wed thee”. What is particularly cool about my congregation (probably others too) is that we “recycle” our rings. I did not receive a new ring when I professed my vows; rather I received the worn ring of one of my IHM sisters that is “dwelling now in light”. I love this tradition because it binds me to the whole IHM “communion of saints”. I don’t know the name of the sister who wore this ring, but I can feel her warm presence and encouragement."

"I just received my ring in August when I made final vows, so I am still delighting in this symbol of my perpetual commitment. Ours are gold and look very much like wedding bands. I belong to the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart and so our rings are engraved with Deus Meus et Omnia for My God and My All, which comes to us from St. Francis."

Professed nuns even celebrate the anniversary of their marriage to Jesus:

"This past Monday - October 20, Solemnity of St. Paul of the Cross - Sr. Mary Andrea celebrated her first anniversary of being wed to the King of kings and Lord of lords."

"The day had finally come. Their daughter would soon become a bride. They had already experienced the weddings of some of their other children, as was evidence in seeing all the little grandchildren that were there with them for this very special day. But this one was to be different. This daughter had been chosen for a religious vocation. She was to become a bride of Christ. They had always tried to teach their children about God and how to follow Him in their lives and now they would witness how one of their daughters had decided to follow God’s call to the consecrated life of a Passionist Nun."

This person isn't even a nun and wears a ring to symbolize her commitment to Jesus:

"I am not a nun, but I have made a vow to be celibate and to live in a christian community. I have a white gold ring which my Dad bought for me when I took my vow. I wear my ring on my wedding finger because it does remind me that I am “married” to Jesus. It also comes in handy sometimes to have a ring on that finger to let a bloke know you are “spoken for” and so unavailable!!! When I first got my ring I badly scratched it by accident using an abrasive scourer so I was well upset about that. Now it is bent to the shape of my finger and covered in little sctraches. I am not sad about that, it speaks to me of all the trials and batterings I have gone through since making my vow (11 years ago now!), and how Jesus has been faithful to me all this time."

Also, I recall reading at some point (I am not sure where) that a deep love of Christ is the maturity of sexual desire...or something like that...

Unbelievable (and my being a former catholic says something)!!!!!

When and if they deconvert, who gets the house? Will Jesus pay alimony/maintenance fees?

Unbelievable (and my being a former catholic says something)!!!!!

When and if they deconvert, who gets the house? Will Jesus pay alimony/maintenance fees?

Yeah, it is pretty insane. I know more about it because I was (and still am) plagued by this feeling the I will only be happy if I become a nun or a consecrated virgin. I never had any of the crazy in love with Jesus shit, but for some reason I still feel like I am supposed to be a nun...like I won't get any peace without it or something. I don't know why I experience this...but it was a huge factor in my leaving xtianity.

Hopefully this feeling will dull and then dissapate as you learn about life as it is, rather than as religion says it should be. :kiss: and hugs.

Professed nuns even celebrate the anniversary of their marriage to Jesus:

"This past Monday - October 20, Solemnity of St. Paul of the Cross - Sr. Mary Andrea celebrated her first anniversary of being wed to the King of kings and Lord of lords."

"The day had finally come. Their daughter would soon become a bride. They had already experienced the weddings of some of their other children, as was evidence in seeing all the little grandchildren that were there with them for this very special day. But this one was to be different. This daughter had been chosen for a religious vocation. She was to become a bride of Christ. They had always tried to teach their children about God and how to follow Him in their lives and now they would witness how one of their daughters had decided to follow God’s call to the consecrated life of a Passionist Nun."

This person isn't even a nun and wears a ring to symbolize her commitment to Jesus:

"I am not a nun, but I have made a vow to be celibate and to live in a christian community. I have a white gold ring which my Dad bought for me when I took my vow. I wear my ring on my wedding finger because it does remind me that I am “married” to Jesus. It also comes in handy sometimes to have a ring on that finger to let a bloke know you are “spoken for” and so unavailable!!! When I first got my ring I badly scratched it by accident using an abrasive scourer so I was well upset about that. Now it is bent to the shape of my finger and covered in little sctraches. I am not sad about that, it speaks to me of all the trials and batterings I have gone through since making my vow (11 years ago now!), and how Jesus has been faithful to me all this time."

Also, I recall reading at some point (I am not sure where) that a deep love of Christ is the maturity of sexual desire...or something like that...

This sounds a awful lot like a Hindu sect were transsexual men gather together and marry a god. If I recall, the myth is that a guy was about to be killed within the next day but never got to be married, so a god (I think Vishnu) came down in the disguise of a woman and married the man. After the man died, he was deified, and every year, men gather in a temple to be married to the god but only to have to weep hours later for his death; the same men will do it year after year.

I remember when I first went to a pentecostal church and one of the songs they sang was heavily erotic. I highly doubt any of them realized it, but it sounded like a love song to another lover.

Hopefully this feeling will dull and then dissapate as you learn about life as it is, rather than as religion says it should be. :kiss: and hugs.

It is getting better. It really depressed me during summer 2007. I was working my second summer at this senior special care home at the time. You know how you can really not like a job, but it is bearable because it becomes familiar? Well, I hated the work, but I wouldn't even let myself enjoy the bearable part because I thought that if I at all enjoyed it, it was a sign I would enjoy the work that nuns would do. I would work 12 hour shifts and cry at work when I was alone and nobody could see me. Then I would go home and lie in my bed all night crying and brooding about it.

The feeling started back in grade 6 when I started to say 3 rosaries a day because my mom did and I though it would make me more holy or something. Well one time when I did that, it suddenly entered into my head that I should be a nun. I thought God was trying to communicate with me, and it has been bothering me on and off ever since. I was afraid to graduate high school in case it meant I had to become a nun. When I got stressed in university, I thought maybe I should just "give in" to God's call and join a community (my friends all thought it was a retarded idea by the way).

Then when I was in second year of uni, I lived a term at this Catholic women's home/community place which was just basically a house where the roommates were all Catholic. The house was lead by a women who had been married once and had two kids but was married no longer. Let's just say that I didn't get along well there. I was much more intellectual then the rest of them (they were more floaty "in the spirit" types which I NEVER was). One time I didn't to go to our weekly morning "community prayer" because I was tired and forgot to set my alarm clock. Anyway, I woke up almost late for class and went downstairs. The head lady saw me and asked me where I was during prayer. I told her what happened. She started telling me that I needed to start making an effort to fit into the community more and that she now knew that she had to be very careful about the sorts of people she would let into the new order she was starting (YES, she started a new order of nuns in Ottawa a couple of years ago. I got to hear her talk about planning the outfit for the order, where they would live, how God was talking to here etc. She felt called to start the order after having made a pilgrimedge to Medjugorie.) After 4 months, I told them that I didn't fit in and could not live there any more. Two of the girls who lived there with me went to join her community.

brarrrrrrr sorry for de-railing the thread :(

It is getting better. It really depressed me during summer 2007. I was working my second summer at this senior special care home at the time. You know how you can really not like a job, but it is bearable because it becomes familiar? Well, I hated the work, but I wouldn't even let myself enjoy the bearable part because I thought that if I at all enjoyed it, it was a sign I would enjoy the work that nuns would do. I would work 12 hour shifts and cry at work when I was alone and nobody could see me. Then I would go home and lie in my bed all night crying and brooding about it.

The feeling started back in grade 6 when I started to say 3 rosaries a day because my mom did and I though it would make me more holy or something. Well one time when I did that, it suddenly entered into my head that I should be a nun. I thought God was trying to communicate with me, and it has been bothering me on and off ever since. I was afraid to graduate high school in case it meant I had to become a nun. When I got stressed in university, I thought maybe I should just "give in" to God's call and join a community (my friends all thought it was a retarded idea by the way).

Then when I was in second year of uni, I lived a term at this Catholic women's home/community place which was just basically a house where the roommates were all Catholic. The house was lead by a women who had been married once and had two kids but was married no longer. Let's just say that I didn't get along well there. I was much more intellectual then the rest of them (they were more floaty "in the spirit" types which I NEVER was). One time I didn't to go to our weekly morning "community prayer" because I was tired and forgot to set my alarm clock. Anyway, I woke up almost late for class and went downstairs. The head lady saw me and asked me where I was during prayer. I told her what happened. She started telling me that I needed to start making an effort to fit into the community more and that she now knew that she had to be very careful about the sorts of people she would let into the new order she was starting (YES, she started a new order of nuns in Ottawa a couple of years ago. I got to hear her talk about planning the outfit for the order, where they would live, how God was talking to here etc. She felt called to start the order after having made a pilgrimedge to Medjugorie.) After 4 months, I told them that I didn't fit in and could not live there any more. Two of the girls who lived there with me went to join her community.

Feelings are hard to get over because our brains play those negative experiences repeatedly. We need to be exposed to new experiences in order to lay down new thought patterns.

I was brought up catholic and was born again into ev.-fund. at age 17. But my "martyrdom fantasy loop" in my brain were transferred and reinforced by the new religion. I created this role by mixing the jesus martyrdom fantasy with the self sacrificing hero roles I saw on tv. I won't go into detail, but this twisted role was responsible for some screwups in my life. I got over it after deconverting, but it took some time and many battles. I know I might not make sense by leaving out the details, but hopefully you get the idea. The roles we choose are compelling because religion reinforces them. But there's hope! You are intelligent and aware of yourself, and that is vital.

Yup. It is actually that way in most orders, except possibly the more liberal ones.

And then the monks or the priests visits, as the embodiments of Christ of course, and fulfill some of the other duties a husband has. That's when you hear a lot of "hallelujah" in the barn.

Oh man... I certainly fucking remember that! Well hey, Jesus was a good looking guy you know. I mean, I'm not gay but if I was I'd... nevermind!!!

There was this one Vineyard song that had a line that said "an intoxicating fragrance / I breathe you into me." Fucking creepy as hell. Straight out of bad 11th grade love poetry. Anybody remember that song?

Oh man... I certainly fucking remember that! Well hey, Jesus was a good looking guy you know. I mean, I'm not gay but if I was I'd... nevermind!!!

There was this one Vineyard song that had a line that said "an intoxicating fragrance / I breathe you into me." Fucking creepy as hell. Straight out of bad 11th grade love poetry. Anybody remember that song?

YES! I remember that one! A while ago I put a worship cd into the player in the car for kicks as my husband rolled his eyes at me. We had quite the laugh as we looked longingly into each others' eyes belting out lyrics like that, knowing that those worship leaders would have an aneurysm if they knew. Anyway, this song was on that cd, lol.

I remember when I first went to a pentecostal church and one of the songs they sang was heavily erotic. I highly doubt any of them realized it, but it sounded like a love song to another lover.

I went to a community baptist church from ages 11-13. Most of the gospel songs they sang sounded like love songs rather than Christian songs. They encouraged us pre-teens to sing the songs, then they'd tell us that such songs (if they weren't about Jesus) were bad and that we didn't need to date and have boyfriends. ugh. It was so awkward, since I could tell that the songs they sang in the service were badly disguised love songs, and then I'd feel awkward for thinking that, because I felt Gawd was watching my thoughts and aaaaaaaacccckkkk

To Christians, dating is bad if you're a teenager, unless you're in love with Jesus Edward Cullen Christ. :ugh:

11th grade love poetry? I'll have you know that I write MUCH better poetry than that!

It sounds like it's out of Twilight, actually. No wonder Twilight is so popular with Xtians.

Jesus Edward Cullen Christ. :ugh:

ROFL I love this :grin:

I should use this more often. I've been trying to tone down on the swearing lately.

"JESUS EDWARD CULLEN CHRIST!"

Jesus is their Husbando.

This is Grade A+ troll material. You are a genius.

to the few forum members who get this inside Joke...don't ruin it.

Not mentioning any names, but at least one christian harboring a sincere and creepy Jesus-erotic fetish used to frequent this site.

I should use this more often. I've been trying to tone down on the swearing lately.

This gives me lots of evil fanfiction ideas

> : D

This gives me lots of evil fanfiction ideas

> : D

Gives me ideas too... >=D