Goodbye Jesus

Who Is "colonel David Hansen, Bible Archaeologist" ?

Snafutopia

Does anybody have any info about this guy and his "Bible archaeology series"? He's scheduled to present "evidence of the Red Sea crossing" to the locals in a few days and I can't find any information about him.

Thanks!

Wow, it is hard to find info on that guy. But, from what I could see, he is just another apologist who will probably spew the same old crap. This description of one of his book probably sums it up:

Why do many Bible stories seem improbable? Why do Biblical events sometimes appear mythical instead of true? Dr. Hansen explains a matchless way of examining the Bible. Using nine familiar accounts, In their Sandals pictures Jesus as those in the first century knew Him. This refreshing approach will assist lay people, teachers, and pastors to recognize the truthfulness of Bible stories. If only we could have been there. David Hansen offers us the next best thing by taking us back to the time and place of Jesus’ ministry. You will find new meaning in recognizable Gospel stories. He reveals the important connection between the context of Jesus’ teaching and His message.
:rolleyes:

• Super Moderator

Curiosity made me investigate him, and I found nothing as to his qualifications as an archaeologist.

All I know is that anyone who is retired and calls himself "Colonel" and adds "PhD" after his name is usually a conceited windbag who pontificates beyond his area of expertise.

From what I can tell, he reads the work of others and compiles the information into scenarios that fit Biblical history. In other words, a typical apologist.

He seems closely (if not exclusively) associated with "the Associates for Biblical Research" and I noticed this in a related search "BIBLE and SPADE is a non-technical quarterly publication published by the Associates for Biblical Research." B&S is a huge joke. Nifty pics from time to time but if you thought the Naked Archaeologist was just making it up as he went, this mag makes him look like top notch work. They're just pathetic. Seriously. They might as well write each article thusly: "Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit Goddidit." This is why H.Shanks and BAR (the other Biblical Archaeological mag) look so good by comparison. They're scholarly compared to this rag.

Anyhow, do a search for "Associates for Biblical Research" to see the crowd this guy runs with. It will give you an idea of what to expect (I hate to use a "guilty by association" type of approach but it seems warranted since the publisher is their self-publishing arm as well).

mwc

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate this! Will follow up on your leads.

(Florduh, as usual you make me laugh! "Bless you"! :D

His PhD is an "online PhD" from http://www.trinitysem.edu/

According to wikipedia,

"Trinity is not accredited by any accreditation body recognized by its country. As such, its degrees and credits might not be acceptable to employers or other institutions, and use of degree titles may be restricted or illegal in some jurisdictions."

http://www.trinitysem.edu/Faculty/vitae/Hansen1106.pdf

ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS

Ph.D. (Biblical Archaeology), Trinity Theological Seminary; 2000

Diploma (International Studies, U.S. Army War College; 1982

M.A., University of Texas at El Paso (International Studies); 1972

B.S., University of Nebraska at Omaha (Geography & Political Science; 1968

CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES

Colonel, U.S. Army, Retired

Licensed Leader of Christian Pilgrimages, Israel

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Assistant Professor, Indiana State University; 1972-1975

Professor and Chair, U.S. Army War College; 1982-1990

Lecturer in Geographical Regional Studies; 1992-2002

Teaching Fellow, Preserving Bible Times; 2002-2004

Adjunct Faculty, Trinity Theological Seminary; 2000-present

Associate Professor, Trinity University-Southwest; 2001-present

Not sure what to make of all that. Any ideas?

"In Their Sandals" (book) is self published (Xulon)

Has another book coming out (also from Xulon)

? Maybe these are the texts he's planning on using for his talk on "evidence of the Red Sea crossing" -- but these are written by somebody else at the "Associates for Biblical Research" website (Gary Byers) --

https://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2008/...ing-Part-I.aspx

https://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2008/...ng-Part-II.aspx

Looks iike he went into the military and now that he's out he's doing the bible circle-jerk with these other guys.

mwc

There are some great comments on those two links -- I'm astonished they didn't delete them, as they totally debunk the "articles" lol

At any rate, thanks again everyone who helped find this guy. Hubby and I are debating whether to waste tomorrow evening listening to him. hmm.

B&S is a huge joke.

B&S: It's funny because it's true.

The best book on bible history:

The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman.

It exposes much of the OT as a tissue of lies.

B&S is a huge joke.

B&S: It's funny because it's true.

Cute... :grin:

mwc

• 2 weeks later...
The best book on bible history:

The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman.

It exposes much of the OT as a tissue of lies.

Thanks for the info. Will check it out asap. Offline life has been so busy and I haven't had time to check around to see if anybody in town attended the Hansen talk.

Use the Bible, itself, to refute the Red Sea crossing. According to the Interlinear Bible, 1983 edition, the Jews crossed over the sea of reeds, not the Red Sea. The Red Sea crossing was a translation error when the text were copied into Latin. Even the church knew of the error and let it remain anyway as perhaps 'god inspired' translation. Get an older translation than ones since 2000 because the Christian church is cleaning up its bible and making rewrites to justify the church's doctrine. You have to go back to the Hebrew language and Greek language texts to verify what the church claims and in no way did the Jews cross the Red Sea, according to the old text.

BTW: When I was studying for the ministry through Trinity Seminary, the lecturer told us he plainly believed the Jews crossed the Red Sea on a ground covered in ice. I can't talk or write about it without laughing my butt off too. You get just as many ideas on the crossing of the sea as you do what Jesus' true ministry was. You have to pick and choose wisely and for me, one book of bullshit (Genesis) equals all bullshit.

Use the Bible, itself, to refute the Red Sea crossing. According to the Interlinear Bible, 1983 edition, the Jews crossed over the sea of reeds, not the Red Sea. The Red Sea crossing was a translation error when the text were copied into Latin. Even the church knew of the error and let it remain anyway as perhaps 'god inspired' translation. Get an older translation than ones since 2000 because the Christian church is cleaning up its bible and making rewrites to justify the church's doctrine. You have to go back to the Hebrew language and Greek language texts to verify what the church claims and in no way did the Jews cross the Red Sea, according to the old text.

This one never made sense to me. If they portrayed it as a miracle, and if it were known to be shallow water then they'd all know it wasn't a miracle. Also, was the "sea of reeds" a real place that is known, or was it the name for the place we call the Red Sea, or ...? Not that I believe the Exodus even happened, but this particular argument always seemed incomplete.

There is no evidence Moses existed. No evidence in Egypt of a huge slave uprising (though it is known that Jews worked there in the lean years back home). No evidence of many thousands of people or even a few people in the wilderness for 40 years at the right time. No evidence of such a number of Israelites then. It is just another bible fable, probably made up in King Josiah's reign around 625 BC.

The Bible Unearthed has a lot of details on it.

BTW: When I was studying for the ministry through Trinity Seminary, the lecturer told us he plainly believed the Jews crossed the Red Sea on a ground covered in ice. I can't talk or write about it without laughing my butt off too. You get just as many ideas on the crossing of the sea as you do what Jesus' true ministry was. You have to pick and choose wisely and for me, one book of bullshit (Genesis) equals all bullshit.

That is just so wrong. It would have to have gotten so incredibly cold to freeze a body of water that large, and it would completely discredit the account in Exodus (how blasphemous!).

There is no evidence Moses existed. No evidence in Egypt of a huge slave uprising (though it is known that Jews worked there in the lean years back home). No evidence of many thousands of people or even a few people in the wilderness for 40 years at the right time. No evidence of such a number of Israelites then. It is just another bible fable, probably made up in King Josiah's reign around 625 BC.

The Bible Unearthed has a lot of details on it.

I sent e-mail to askmoses.com about that very thing, are there other sources for Moses than the Torah? Here is his response:

In response to your email below,

There are quite a few, though I find them (and most history books) to be less reliable than the Five books of Moses, and 3000 years of oral history.

But if that is what you seek, here is something from wikipedia:

"In addition to the Judeo-Roman or Judeo-Hellenic historians Artapanus, Eupolemus, Josephus, and Philo, a few gentile historians including Polyhistor, Manetho, Apion, Chaeremon of Alexandria, Tacitus and Porphyry make reference to him."

I hope that I have answered your question. If you have further questions, please click reply.

Thank you for coming to AskMoses!

Keep in mind these references are from those not acquainted with Moses in life. These sources do not prove Moses lived. They are written by people who have heard about Moses. I've heard about him too and I don't find any proof he was an actual historical figure. The Old Testament, or Torah, was written after the Jews returned from Babylon. These are the books claimed to have been written or dictated by Moses to be written. But they were not written until perhaps a thousand years later. This is why I also believe OT prophecies were written after the fact so they appear to be accurate. Hindsight is always 20-20. This could also have been the era in which the laws of Moses were forged into the OT and they changed from ten laws to over 600? The OT prophet Jeremiah claimed the scribes were liars in the 20th Chapter of Jeremiah. Even though the Bible is written after the fact, it does appear that certain comments are inserted through out the works to warn against taking the writings word for word. Let he who has an ear, listen ..., that sort of stuff.