Jerks For Jesus

Brought None

1990. That was 19 years ago. Those kids would be long grown by now. They're jerks alright. I've seen other YouTubes with street preachers in the South. I never see the likes in this part of the world. I would expect a person to get arrested if they started shouting like that on the street for no reason at all around here. Am I just ignorant or are there different laws in different geographical locations?

Ahhhh, this makes me miss living in the south....where the bible thumpers rule. Though I did have alot of fun in the smokies!

I haven't seen or heard from a "stteet preacher" in years. All but the most backwater towns require permits to assemble, etc. and jebus didn't teach the idiots to writ too gud

It is very sad. Just look at the expression on their faces and the sad eyes of these children. They are so unhappy.

Contrary to what one bystander said, I don't think there is any proper time and place for this.

In the last year I have actually seen a display such as this, except they were holding signs rather than yelling. It was on a major intersection. This is Florida, where this type of thing can happen.

OMG! My dad used to say the same thing about Santa Claus that the dad said: that if you change the letters around, you get Satan Claus. I couldn't make out anything that they were yelling, though, but I assume it's just as stupid.

Only a couple of weeks ago, as I was riding a bus home from work, I saw people with signs about how "illegal sex" earns you passage to hell. They defined "illegal sex" (according to their signs) as any heterosexual act outside of marriage and any homosexual act period. They also had a ridiculous position on divorce.

Oh, by the way... This was in the streets of the Financial District in Lower Manhattan near Wall Street -- in other words, right in New York City.

In Midtown, around Times Square, you can almost always hear people screaming about Jesus. Sometimes they are run-of-the-mill Fundamentalists screaming to put people on guilt trips, and sometimes they are Bible-toting people of color screaming about how all whites are devils. We've also got our fair share of hot young Mormons in neckties, but fortunately they don't scream.

I also once saw a family in Union Square. They were dressed Little House on the Prairie style and were singing "You will reap what you sew" in very bad harmony. Daddy would preach between songs.

The one that made me want to applaud even though I don't believe in any religion... On the highway from Brooklyn to Manhattan there is now a huge billboard: "Discover Jesus... in the Qu'ran." Hee hee hee. Become a Muslim and really find Jesus!!! It must make the Christian Fundies want to vomit, so I love it.

As you can see... It ain't just the Bible Belt. It's liberal heathen New York, too!

Thanks for all the info. I read those links on the Strode kids. It's good to know one turned out more or less normal. Not much detail on the other two.

About the Muslims and Jesus. I got The True Story of Jesus at a Muslim book stand late last summer. It was at a book fair and we atheists and agnostics had a stand too. I noticed that it's no more okay with Muslims to be atheist than with Christians so I didn't tell them. Anyway, their Jesus doesn't die on the cross in his mid-30s. It's a children's book and it tells all about Mary's birth, too, and how she was dedicated to live at the Temple. Practically all its sources are the Bible and Q'uran. The Muslim kids will not be as uninitiated in a Christian world as vice versa.

I also once saw a family in Union Square. They were dressed Little House on the Prairie style and were singing "You will reap what you sew" in very bad harmony. Daddy would preach between songs.

That's fuckin' creepy. I'm reminded of the Fundamentalist Mormons that are often spotted down over by the Arizona state line.

As you can see... It ain't just the Bible Belt. It's liberal heathen New York, too!

Except for the racist black preachers and the crazy street bums, I got $10 that says that the vast majority of those people are from way outside the city and they've traveled or commuted in because God told them to go where all the "sinners" are, taking their light into the heart of darkness as one-shot in-and-out missionaries. You see, we get those motherfuckers every so often on the Las Vegas Strip. They'll show up with bullhorns and everything and harass the tourists standing around trying to watch the Bellagio fountains. Most of them come from the more hickish areas of Southern California but they could be coming in from anywhere to try and save the sinners in Sin City.